Chrysler XP-47

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrysler XP-47

So there you are,half asleep sitting in your big chair watching some nameless TV show, when a Chrysler commercial comes on
    and you are suddenly looking at the worlds most ugly Thunderbolt, the XP-47, with an inverted V-16 Chrysler engine, the first Chrysler Hemi.

So you google the plane and the engine...here is just one link cause there are many....
    After four years of development, it got thrown on the trashheap of history.....But it did have some interesting features....Ford too tried to develop their own aircraft engine during the war.
    Fun fact for the day

Re: Chrysler XP-47

It certainly was a unique and bulky-looking bird (http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contri...ll/5109L-2.jpg).

I like the way they solved the torsion problems of a very long crankshaft. Imaginative, to say the least.

Comment

the only reason it looks so bulky is the scoop for the radiators and or coolers.... i actually think it looks pretty hot...
      race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Six engines were built. Three were scrapped.

D-000001, 1st flight engine, is in the New England Air Museum
        D-000005 is in the Walter P. Chrysler Museum
        D-000006, 2nd flight engine, is in the Garber Facility (Smithsonian's treasure chest)

Many people/sources think the XP-47H achieved 490 mph and some even claim over 500 mph. I feel they are incorrect. The forecasted top speed was 490 mph but the aircraft never achieved more then 414 mph and may have never topped 382 mph (2440 hp at 20,000 feet).

That is not to say that the engine was a dog, although D-000001 did eat itself. The installation was not ideal and the engine never got out of the teething phase. Boost pressure surges caused engine misfiring which in turn cause torque spikes on the propeller shaft. The seam on the steal propeller shaft cracked and ultimately failed in engine D-000001 during a test flight.
        Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
        Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce View Post
          Six engines were built. Three were scrapped.

D-000001, 1st flight engine, is in the New England Air Museum
          D-000005 is in the Walter P. Chrysler Museum
          D-000006, 2nd flight engine, is in the Garber Facility (Smithsonian's treasure chest)

Many people/sources think the XP-47H achieved 490 mph and some even claim over 500 mph. I feel they are incorrect. The forecasted top speed was 490 mph but the aircraft never achieved more then 414 mph and may have never topped 382 mph (2440 hp at 20,000 feet).

That is not to say that the engine was a dog, although D-000001 did eat itself. The installation was not ideal and the engine never got out of the teething phase. Boost pressure surges caused engine misfiring which in turn cause torque spikes on the propeller shaft. The seam on the steal propeller shaft cracked and ultimately failed in engine D-000001 during a test flight.
          Geek!!

Comment

All I've ever read about the IV-2220 indicated that it had a lot of promise... just started development way too late. I think the P-47 looked pretty slick with the Chrysler engine- the scoop was a bit awkward, but prototypes tend to be that way. Well, except the XP-38... somehow it managed to be the most graceful and beautiful of all the P-38s, although not the fastest or best by a long stretch.

Comment

It reminded me of the old Ford Mustang commercial where they started out telling you it came from a long line of thoroughbreds, and showed a horse then a lowpass by a '51'.
              I think it's cool when someone brings old airplanes back into the frey with any kind of commercial.
              Roger O'Day

Comment

Originally posted by Flyer57 View Post
                It reminded me of the old Ford Mustang commercial where they started out telling you it came from a long line of thoroughbreds, and showed a horse then a lowpass by a '51'.
                I think it's cool when someone brings old airplanes back into the frey with any kind of commercial.
                As Cliff Claven would say: "Say, you know Normie, when Lee Iacoca designed the Mustang, he, uh, named it after that P-51 airplane there, you know? Lot of people don't know that. The common man assumes it's named after a horse. But not old Lee....no sir."

Comment

Working...
                X