Happy Birthday Bruce Lockwood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Birthday Bruce Lockwood

Have a Happy Birthday & many more. Keep up your dedicated work in the Air Racing community.
    Lockheed Bob

Re: Happy Birthday Bruce Lockwood

A Bee-Eye-Gee- 'HAPPY FIVE-NINER' to ya, Champ!

DBD
    Attached Files

Comment

"Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for the birthday wishes. Bucky, the photos you posted put clarity to old memories etched deep in my mind. Its strange how those moments you captured felt like a life time ago for me.

On another note, yes Dago Red is safe and in good hand….. no it is not with me. As far as I know, you should once again see it doing what it does best…going fast and turning left. I’m not at liberty to post anything more than I’ve just said, but that should be good news to all you rail birds out there.

How fast is Dago Red? I have archived data (its on a video that I’ll try and post along with cockpit footage) recorded by Edwards Air Force Base’s radar tracking station. The radar’s signature displayed altitude, course and speed. It tracked Dago Red at a ground speed of 610 mph (full throttle at 11000 ft) as it entered the speed trap for its 1997attempt on the 15K speed record. Because of the classified nature of this radar system, Edwards was never at liberty to certify in writing the radars accuracy. "Part of our national defense system”, the technician would state “but believe me, it is highly advanced and extremely accurate”.

Without this critical certified document (we worked at over a year to try and get) the NAA/FIA would not acknowledge the record. I’ll save “the rest of the story”, as Paul Harvey would say, for a latter post.

Is it the fastest unlimited racer of all time….. I believe so and its records clearly back that up. As for the speed record attempt, we worked out an average of 554MPH on the 15K course. Taking into account all the low side errors, we still came up with a 541MPH average. It sure was a thrill to see Race 4 leave Steve Hinton in the T33 chase plane over a mile in trail during each leg of the 15K record attempt.

With hotter weather, higher flight altitude and taller supercharger ratio, I believe Race 4 has the potential to beat the Russian Bear…holder of the ultimate propeller speed record. And that my friends, was one of the original goals that David Price had in mind for this airplane. Some day I hope we can prove that.

As for Dago’s ability to climb back to the top… it takes skill, preparation, lots of thrust (HP + propeller efficiency) dollars, support of her fans and above all a little luck…… OK…. make that a lot of luck, But we all know that Dago Red always had a lucky star.

Cheer to all,
        Bruce

Comment

Hello Bruce, and happy Birthday from us too!

I'd love to see you work up a post or posts on the record attempt. That is still one of the great and mostly untold stories of Air Racing history. All I really know about it is the very little bit that Michael wrote up in a short Air Classics pictorial, and what you told Birgitta and me in Tehachapi back in 2004. It's such a shame that such a huge (and very successful, except in the actual record book) effort went so unnoticed even by the serious Air Race fans.

Maybe it's getting to be time for me to do a Dago thread. I have many friends who have been involved in the Dago saga over the years, and an awful lot of photos...

Do you ever talk to Chris Wood these days? I haven't seen him for a very long time.

Go Dago!!

Neal

Comment

Hi Neal and Brigitta, thanks. Sorry I missed you both at Reno.

I talk with Chris on a fairly regular bases, but haven't seen him in a couple of months. He is doing fine.

The Dago Red record attempt story would be fun to do....just haven't had time. I'm currently working on a story for Air Classics with regards to our Hellcat folllowed by the Skyraider. Seems I'm always a little behind on getting them to Michael O.

Neal, if you want to start a "Dago Thread" I would be happy to add as I can.

Cheers,
            Bruce

Comment

I do hope to, Bruce. Right now I too am very busy, with a couple of projects due soon and a computer that is FUBAR. I have a new computer coming in this week, then have to get everything set up and finish the money projects -- so we'll see...

Please look in here every once in a while to see if the thread is happening. I have many questions about the history of this great Racer, and would like to hear your opinions on a number of things. I cannot think of anybody who I'd rather talk with about the airplane -- you were part of her history longer than anyone. You've flown her, worked on her, researched and modified her, and spent countless hours thinking about her.

It could be a fun thread!

Neal

Comment

Working...
              X