Miss Helen mishap.....almost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss Helen mishap.....almost

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Re: Miss Helen mishap.....almost

Why did he land where there was a big burm? Was it an emergency landing and he didn't have a choice? I did see a big buff of smoke just prior to landing. Looked like he might have broken a wheel or axle....hopefully that was all the damage there was.

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
      Why did he land where there was a big burm? Was it an emergency landing and he didn't have a choice? I did see a big buff of smoke just prior to landing. Looked like he might have broken a wheel or axle....hopefully that was all the damage there was.
      That happened in Duxford in 2008. She was having engine problems and landed short. The berm is where a taxiway crosses. The actual runway starts just beyond that point. It suffered a slight prop strike along with landing gear and wing damage.

Comment

One of the forum discussions and a few photos:

Comment

Looked pretty good to me, he painted that think on.

Comment

miss helen to tower....

"miss helen requests recovery assistance..........and a clean flight suit"

Comment

Why is this making the e-mail and internet forum rounds now? This happened at Flying Legends two years ago.

Comment

There are photos out there in the interwebs from the other side of the field that show smoke coming out of the left bank as he's on final. As I recall he was #2 in line for the big concrete runway at Duxford when the engine went south, so he tried to make the grass strip between the concrete runway and the crowd line...but with now power he landed well short and was essentially below flying speed when he hit that section where the taxiway to the concrete runway is perpindicular to where he was going (the grass runway started on the other side of the taxiway).

On at least one of the discussions people were armchair quarterbacking as to why he didn't put power on the plane and just go around....well, one, going that slow (and most likely below effective rudder control) he'd probably end up on his back, and two...the engine was gone, so it was a one shot deal.

In hindsight, I'd say he did a damn fine job keeping Miss Helen in one piece. Pretty impressive making the best out of a bad situation.

Comment

I think its even been repaired now?

Comment

Well said the problem with most of today's 172 quarterback types is they don't understand real torque, most of them can't keep the ball centered in the 172. Again though the engine was done so no goaround. My little opion is he did a he'll of a job , it didn't groun loop or go over on it's back, hats off to him

Comment

Yeah when it gets quiet up front there aren't to many options, he did great job with what he had.

Comment

I liked how even though he may have been bounced around in the cockpit he continued to get the stick back and stand on the proper rudder for a recovery when able and necessary. Good stick and rudder work. He made the best of a bad situation.
                        Chris...

Comment

I'd let Pete Johns fly MY Mustang.

If I had one.

Comment

Working...
                          X