museum shutting down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• museum shutting down

The Arkansas aerospace museum, in little rock, is closing down at the end of this week. The few airplanes they have may be sold. Among them is a Sopwith Camel, one of only 7 left in the world. There is also a formula 1 racer, but I can't remember which one it is. Think it had "cobra" on the cowling.

Looks like the economy has forced it out of business.

Re: museum shutting down

Speaking of WWI or not, check out the latest Air Classic about the guy in Germany building new Fokkers. Thanks, KC

Comment

A friend that occasionally worked/volunteered there said it's been in trouble for many years and he is not surprised by the closing. They had an interesting collection of smaller items as well that may come up for sale soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin L View Post
        The Arkansas aerospace museum, in little rock, is closing down at the end of this week. The few airplanes they have may be sold. Among them is a Sopwith Camel, one of only 7 left in the world. There is also a formula 1 racer, but I can\'t remember which one it is. Think it had \"cobra\" on the cowling.

Looks like the economy has forced it out of business.
        I think that\'s actually Al Kramer\'s old Racing Biplane \"Cobra\". Seems to me it was sold/put on display somewhere in the south a few years back.

Cobra was built along the same lines as the Sid White/Pat Hines \"Sundancer\" off of a Midget Mustang fuselage. Main difference was that \"Sundancer\" had steel spring landing gear in front of the wing, and \"Cobra\" had landing gear that was part of the lower wing, a-la \"Sorceress\".

Comment

Originally posted by KAHNZILLA View Post
          Speaking of WWI or not, check out the latest Air Classic about the guy in Germany building new Fokkers. Thanks, KC
          that is sad news on the museum, on the ww1 front, thats cool to hear about the fokkers... but check these guys here in NZ out... they have built an albatross, several SE-5a's and other a/c, and they have even reverse engineered german rotary engines, and also rebuilt several other ww1 era aircraft engines that now fly
          race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

How bout the guy east of Paso Robles that has several WWI airplanes on his private strip. I've only ever read a couple of articles about him. From what I've heard, he doesn't like the public poking around........does anyone have or know anymore about this place?

Comment

Big Jim is right about it being a bi-plane, I goofed on that one.

The Sopwith Camel was restored to flying condition in the '70's, and still looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                I think that\'s actually Al Kramer\'s old Racing Biplane \"Cobra\". Seems to me it was sold/put on display somewhere in the south a few years back.
                DAVE FORBES/Al Kramer...
                Last time it surfaced was in Little Rock (with a orange paint scheme)

Comment

"Cobra" being at the Arkansas museum came up in a previous thread (here: http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/showthread.php?t=1206 ) and a couple of pictures posted. I kind of recall another thread that had a picture of it in the museum, but did not find it.

Comment

Latest shot of Cobra I could find HERE
                    (in it's orange paint scheme)

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan View Post
                      that is sad news on the museum, on the ww1 front, thats cool to hear about the fokkers... but check these guys here in NZ out... they have built an albatross, several SE-5a's and other a/c, and they have even reverse engineered german rotary engines, and also rebuilt several other ww1 era aircraft engines that now fly
                      http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/node
                      Thats the ouitfit affiliated with Peter Jackson right?

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                        Yes.

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                          it is indeed... they have an amazing collection, I have somewhere among my 100,000 plus digital images a pic of their 7 yes SEVEN fokker triplane's airborne together.
                          race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                            How bout the guy east of Paso Robles that has several WWI airplanes on his private strip. I've only ever read a couple of articles about him. From what I've heard, he doesn't like the public poking around........does anyone have or know anymore about this place?
                            Javier Arango. Used to be at Rialto.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan View Post
                              it is indeed... they have an amazing collection, I have somewhere among my 100,000 plus digital images a pic of their 7 yes SEVEN fokker triplane's airborne together.
                              Well that explains everything. As far as WWI aviation is concerned he's looking like New Zealand's Paul Allen.

The Oberursel rotary engine re-engineering chronicled on the site is quite impressive.

He also owns Wingnut Wings which is devoted to WWI aircraft in 1/32 scale. He's not doing that for money. When you buy one of his kits you buy directly from them. They do not distribute through anyone. I don't own any kits, but have seen them in the box. The detail is not to be believed. Detailed full color glossy instruction sheets as well.

I'm happy to see that "Lord of the Rings" was able to finance his hobby for the betterment of all of us.

Comment

Working...
                              X