400 MPH RC JET ~ IMPRESSIVE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 400 MPH RC JET ~ IMPRESSIVE

I'm guessing you would need a longer range controller as this bird could fly out of reach in short order. RC's sure have come a long way.

Amazing Videos, Funny Clips. Updated daily.

Cloudchaser

Re: 400 MPH RC JET ~ IMPRESSIVE

yeah impressive.I fly rc planes that are not even close to these speeds and one big problem is being able to track a model that small flying over 100 mph,much less 400 mph!

Comment

that is unreal.. it sure eats airspace up
      race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Many will be shocked to know the absolute speed record for an R/C plane is over 440MPH.

By a sailplane.

kinetic+392mph+dynamic, soaring+world, record+fastest, RC+fastest, RC, on, youtube+

This link is to an older youtube post. The latest record is approx. 442MPH using the same "dynamic soaring" technique.
        '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Amazing that it can hold together at that velocity.

Those-in-charge placed a 200 mph speed limit on RC jets by law. Funny that an RC glider can legally go twice that.

Comment

That's just an AMA rule, right?

Comment

not sure,would have to check the guildlines.

Comment

Originally posted by stuntflyr View Post
                That's just an AMA rule, right?
                Yeppers.

Comment

Waivers are available to qualified modelers from the AMA for record attempts.

The sailplanes doing over 400MPH are 120 inch "works of engineering art" that evolved into those speeds through much trial and error. (read that as, "crashing" and "blowing-up"). Most crashes are caused by flutter BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
                    Amazing that it can hold together at that velocity.

Those-in-charge placed a 200 mph speed limit on RC jets by law. Funny that an RC glider can legally go twice that.
                    It's mostly a mass x velocity factor, although a dynamic soaring glider is ballasted up quite good. However, an R/C jet can travel quite the distance... You stop the glider in those conditions and it will eventually slow down. That's not to say that it can't cause harm.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by planecrazy2 View Post
                      Many will be shocked to know the absolute speed record for an R/C plane is over 440MPH.

By a sailplane.

kinetic+392mph+dynamic, soaring+world, record+fastest, RC+fastest, RC, on, youtube+

This link is to an older youtube post. The latest record is approx. 442MPH using the same "dynamic soaring" technique.
                      Also, I do question the accuracy of the speeds being reported by the guns because it is a tricky thing to measure an object like that under those conditions. The sailplanes are definitely going fast.

Michael

Comment

Also, I do question the accuracy of the speeds being reported by the guns because it is a tricky thing to measure an object like that under those conditions. The sailplanes are definitely going fast.
                        Burt Rutan recently attended a DS session with some friends of mine. They reported he is going to help them with on-board telemetry that will record the speed more accurately than the radar guns can.

Comment

Originally posted by planecrazy2 View Post
                          Burt Rutan recently attended a DS session with some friends of mine. They reported he is going to help them with on-board telemetry that will record the speed more accurately than the radar guns can.

Will be interesting what they do, but I'm not sure how to find a really accurate system. I've had many people ask me how to do it, since I've done telemetry on R/C. The problem is that there is no commercial GPS that will give accurate results (especially given the fact that the airplane is changing attitudes every rapidly), and a pitot-static system will give indicated speeds. Don't forget that the wind is what is helping these speeds, since what is being reported is speed over the ground. Indicated will not give that. If the goal is to report highest, IAS, then that will work.

Michael

Comment

If you can measuer the time of one lap and guess-timate fairly closely the diameter of the flight path then you can get a rough idea of it's true speed.

Comment

A radar gun is way more accurate than "guessing" the diameter of the flight path and applying a time to it. Some teams use more than one gun to get cross data.

Frankly, a radar gun is pretty good. We are talking a small percent error here. Anything over 400mph is super damn fast, and when you tell people its a sailplane, the look on their face is of utter confusion and total lack of any ability to comprehend the information.

...and they are saying 500mph is not far away....

Kind of humbling for the unlimited race plane owner to know a sailplane is going faster than his several million $ + 3000hp ride....

Comment

Working...
                              X