Reno first timer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reno first timer

I've been hanging around AAFO.com for a year or so; enjoying the site very much. Looks like I'll be making it to Reno for the first time this September so I'm looking for advice on: flying into Stead (my buddy and I will be flying a Stemme motorglider from CO), where to stay, which event tix to purchase, will we need a rental car, etc. All input welcome; thanks in advance.
    SteveZ

hey kilo, a good deal of the pilots will be staying in the hilton, but rooms may all already be reserved...

start calling now, in a few weeks, there won't be any.

get the pit pass, it's expensive, but well worth it

no, most hotels have shuttles

bring layered clothing and a vat of sun tan lotion.
    heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Thanks for the advice, Matt.

Does anyone know where info concerning Stead airport closing times and similar info can be found?
      SteveZ

Comment

Kilo,

you will likely not be able to fly into Stead unless you know someone there who would set you up with parking space. The airport has to move a lot of tied down airplanes off the ramp due to the limited parking area.

Best bet is to arrange flying into somewhere close and then trek out to Stead. Reno airport is an option but I'd wager spendy and you'd be mixing with a lot of heavy traffic at a major airport.

Be advised... It gets WINDY here! Very windy.. I just drove back to the hotel in my 5400 lb pickup and was getting blown around.

Wayne
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Yup, the airport is pretty much closed to transient traffic for the duration of the races. Even crew planes dropping off gear typically come in, drop their load, then head over to Reno-Tahoe. If you really, really want to land at 4SD during race week, the cheapest way is the biplanes or IF1...
          Jeff Lo
          Biplane race #13 "Miss Gianna"
          Biplane race #6 "Miss Dianne"

Comment

Thanks, guys. I had no idea transient tiedowns would be so hard to come by; I'm glad I asked. Sounds like I should be contacting FBOs at Reno/Tahoe right now to line up ramp space.

I like the IF1 idea, Jeff, but I missed PRS ;-)
            SteveZ

Comment

Working...
            X