QANTAS ENGINE FIX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QANTAS ENGINE FIX

Qantas has found a fix for the engine redundancy issue, now they need to address the other related system failures. Seeing what they have done here I'm sure they will come up with something

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL

Cloudchaser
    Last edited by Cloudchaser427; 01-27-2011, 06:16 PM.

Re: QANTAS ENGINE FIX

Am I the only one looking at that and wondering... "just how many R-4360's would it take...?"

Comment

Qantas piggy-backed a replacement 747 engine onto an active flight to SFO a few months ago.
      Attached to the wing a 5th engine between the #2 engine and the fuselage.
      A replacement engine for a #4 engine on a previous SFO-Sidney 747, which let go 30 minutes after take-off several nights before.
      Rampking

Comment

Originally posted by rampking View Post
        Qantas piggy-backed a replacement 747 engine onto an active flight to SFO a few months ago.
        Attached to the wing a 5th engine between the #2 engine and the fuselage.
        A replacement engine for a #4 engine on a previous SFO-Sidney 747, which let go 30 minutes after take-off several nights before.
        I think Boeing has designed that ability to mount another engine to a special pylon at the wing root, i cant find it but i did see a pic of a BOAC 707 with the podded spare climbing out
        race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Geez.... I thot you guys were kidding at first... Dialtapper... you're a -47 guy.... ever hear of this??
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Pic of one here: http://www.airliners.net/photo/Qanta...438/1631167/M/

Comment

Here's a photo of that Qantas 747-400 with that ferried engine aboard.
              Attached Files
              Rampking

Comment

The Rolls Royce engine that let go....
                Qantas isn't giving out too many details, this engine was covered up from photographers early the next morning.
                Attached Files
                Rampking

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                  this is a rare airplane, the right wing engines look bigger than the left wing ones, more thrust surely, and they mounted three smaller ones to level the thrust force? just guessing

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                    Geez.... I thot you guys were kidding at
                    first... Dialtapper... you're a -47 guy.... ever hear of this??
                    Yep, true story.

Comment

In the "well, I never" department Google "747 ferry engine" and you'll get a full accounting of the practice.

Comment

Here's a bit more detailed info on the 380 damage. It was much more extensive than published.

Cloudchaser
                        Last edited by Cloudchaser427; 01-27-2011, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by taglialavore View Post
                          this is a rare airplane, the right wing engines look bigger than the left wing ones, more thrust surely, and they mounted three smaller ones to level the thrust force? just guessing
                          The left/right size difference is just a illusion I suppose. The ferried spare engine appears to be a different model than those powering the aircraft. Said fifth engine near the fuselage is not powered, and from what I've read the ferry pylon doesn't even have fuel lines for feeding a running engine.

This is just the easiest and cheapest way to carry a spare engine to a stranded aircraft that needs one. A rare sight indeed!

Comment

Working...
                          X