Fire season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire season

some interseting news concerning the upcoming forest fire season .
    Would you believe a 747 borate bomber?

Blacksheep
    blacksheep
    Life's a Climb , But the view is Great

Eyow!.... The Whale as a borate bomber.. geez.. don't give dialtapper any ideas!!

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Dude... The 737 is "The Whale..." LOL...
      Scotty G

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty G
        Dude... The 737 is "The Whale..." LOL...
        Umm... mebbie so but my buddy "Dial Tapper" likes to call the 47 "Whale"...

Since he's flyin one.. I'll go whit his call

Wayne
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Yo Wayner,

I was in Marana ( near Tucson, home of Evergreen Air Center ) earler this month to pick up a whale and fly it to Ramstein. We got to see a demo of the fire bomber system. They shot two of the eight nozzles it shot up about 250 feet. Very impressive!
          This is a joint venture with Boeing, doing all of the engineering, and Evergreen's 747's. Test flights are to start in September and looking for certification by the first of the year.

For those in the industry the 747 is a whale, a 737 is a guppy or speed bump. Some one must be confused the SWA 737 painted like Shamu.

Dialtapper.

Comment

Whale

The post above, is the first, and only, time I've ever heard a 737 called a whale. A whale has always been a 747 at my carrier. We call the 737 several things, including a guppy, but usually (most often) the ''hoover'' since the fans suck up everything!

Comment

When ATC says " You have traffic at two o'clock, three miles, South West 737" We say " We have the light twin in sight"

I never heard of a light whale.

Comment

Geez... Just a simple mistake after a long day. You guys...
                Scotty G

Comment

Working...
                X