Fifi flies down the coast.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fifi flies down the coast.

Don't know if anyone else saw Fifi flying around Socal this past weekend. I just happened to see it off the Huntington pier on Friday going south toward SD. Sorry guys no camera, shame on me.

Re: Fifi flies down the coast.

I heard it was in Long Beach for the AOPA Aviation Summit. I hope it comes to the NW one of these days. The Reno Air Races would work too!
    Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by boom3 View Post
      I heard it was in Long Beach for the AOPA Aviation Summit. I hope it comes to the NW one of these days. The Reno Air Races would work too!
      The CAF B-29/24 Squadron is looking at a number of different possible scenarios for next year. This trip to AOPA and currently in Deer Valley, AZ is a test of what kind of reception we have and help determine costs of operation etc so that we can take that into consideration when making plans for next year.

We are in the process of overhauling our website (to be relaunched in late December/early January) and we will announce our schedule sometime in the late winter or early spring.

Thanks for your interest in "FIFI" "FIFI" IS BACK

Chris
      CAF B-29/24 Squadon
      Public Information Officer

The B-29/B-24 Squadron protects these rare flying monuments for future generations through preservation, education, exhibition and airshows.

Comment

Chris,

Congrats on your hard work to bring Fifi back to flying status. I know it's expensive to operate. I wish you guys all the best!

Sam
        Biplane Race #3

Comment

It was great having her flying around our area for four days, no mistaken that sound.

Here are a few shots from the AOPA Summit at KLGB!

A classic profile "wheelbarrow" landing here!

off into the sunset!

"dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Very cool Anthony!
            Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
            My Photos
            My Ride

Comment

God, it's good to see her back in the air! Got a very special relationship with her and it does the 'ol ticker wonders to see her again!

Thanks for the update Chris and thanks for the images, Anthony!

Atta girl!
              Owen Ashurst
              Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
              http://airbossone.com/

Comment

I am lucky enough to watch "Fifi" come and go from Deer Valley from my backyard. Those 3350s sure sound great.

Larry

Comment

Larry
                  Glad you are enjoying! The new hybrids have a different sound, but she sure looks good in the air back where she belongs!

They have a flight scheduled today for noon and then an 8am tomorrow.

"FIFI" is back!

Chris

Comment

Chris, Those "hybrid" engines have a real crisp sound, whether on take off, or final to land. I was lucky enough to catch it taking off to the west, and landing to the east, so was able to hear the engines during both profiles. Great stuff!

Larry

Comment

Very nice shots Anthony!

Comment

Thanks Ken!

Here's some video i shot of the event!

Commemorative Air Force's newly restored B-29 Superfortress "FIFI" visited the AOPA Summit at Long Beach Municipal Airport over the Weekend. We had her flyin...
                        "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

[ Got a very special relationship with her and it does the 'ol ticker wonders to see her again!

Air Judge would you care to share a little insight into that relatinship? I mean if it's too personal and you don't want to,completly understandable.

Thanks in advance,
                          Brian(aka B2)

Comment

I'll try to be as brief as possible here (a shorter version is posted elsewhere on AAFO):

In 1944-1945 my uncle, pilot 1st Lt Owen P Walls (after whom I am named and whom I never met) flew “The CBI Hump”, survived a mid-air over the Indian Ocean (I'm still in touch with the only surving member of that crew) then 15 missions out of Tinian over Japan. His crew was shot down over Kobe, Japan on 04Jun45. His a/c crashed just 500 yards from the coast and likely rescue from sub's stationed of the coast for just that reason. All but one crewmember survived the incident however; they were captured, tortured, place on trial, convicted of war crimes and summarily executed, buried in a mass grave. Owen kept a mission diary and other journals recording his service. I am fortunate to have all his possessions (uniforms, annuals, journals, diaries, etc) that related to his service. Treasures beyond measure. You can read more about this crew, missions, trial, execution, and the “real” war crimes trials of the Japanese military officers and men at:

http://www.444thbg.org/sabopete.htm. I contributed many of the images used and some of the narrative.

Owen’s last entry in his diary was 29May45, my birthday is 29May54.
                            Owen was shot down on 04Ju45. This will come up later…

In 1994-1995, it was the 50th anniversary of the 20th Air Force and a reunion of crews as well. I met several crew who were in the same formation as my uncle’s a/c when he was hit. They provided cover until the a/c’s wing folded over the fuselage and went in and spoke with him while he was attempting to limp to the coast. Very emotional experience. While “FIFI” was here in Seattle, I spent over 120 hours rewiring the Flight Engineers panel on her and performing “other duties as assigned.” After she was recert’d by the FAA, a select few of us were allowed to ride along on here first flight. I took along my uncle’s wings and asked Capt. Tom Cloyd (now deceased) to take them with him on the flight deck. Capt Cloyd knew my entire story and said he’d be honored to do so. The date was 29May95...my birthday and the last date my uncle made an entry in the mission diary that he kept while based on Tinian. I was called forward during the flight from the waist position. Crawling thru the tube in flight was a rush! As I "spit out" thru the tube onto the flight deck, Capt Cloyd was there to greet me and said, as he handed my uncles wings to me, "Here Owen, these will mean more to you here and now. Have a seat." With eye's watering, I enjoyed a “bombing run" over the Bangor Naval Submarine Station. Still get chills even writing about it. Few days later, FIFI left for good from Seattle's Boeing Field. The date: 04Jun95. The date of my uncle’s final mission, from which he never returned. I've not seen FIFI since that day. But I will forever remember the absolute pride and sheer joy of the unique set of circumstances that brought me to that place...at that time.

May FIFI know nothing but CAVU skies forever more.

Thanks for asking, BKB!

Owen (aka "Air Judge")
                            Last edited by Air Boss; 11-18-2010, 07:27 PM.
                            Owen Ashurst
                            Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                            http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Air Judge View Post
                              I'll try to be as brief as possible here (a shorter version is posted elsewhere on AAFO):

In 1944-1945 my uncle, pilot 1st Lt Owen P Walls (after whom I am named and whom I never met) flew “The CBI Hump”, survived a mid-air over the Indian Ocean (I'm still in touch with the only surving member of that crew) then 15 missions out of Tinian over Japan. His crew was shot down over Kobe, Japan on 04Jun45. His a/c crashed just 500 yards from the coast and likely rescue from sub's stationed of the coast for just that reason. All but one crewmember survived the incident however; they were captured, tortured, place on trial, convicted of war crimes and summarily executed, buried in a mass grave. Owen kept a mission diary and other journals recording his service. I am fortunate to have all his possessions (uniforms, annuals, journals, diaries, etc) that related to his service. Treasures beyond measure. You can read more about this crew, missions, trial, execution, and the “real” war crimes trials of the Japanese military officers and men at:

http://www.444thbg.org/sabopete.htm. I contributed many of the images used and some of the narrative.

Owen’s last entry in his diary was 29May45, my birthday is 29May54.
                              Owen was shot down on 04Ju45. This will come up later…

In 1994-1995, it was the 50th anniversary of the 20th Air Force and a reunion of crews as well. I met several crew who were in the same formation as my uncle’s a/c when he was hit. They provided cover until the a/c’s wing folded over the fuselage and went in and spoke with him while he was attempting to limp to the coast. Very emotional experience. While “FIFI” was here in Seattle, I spent over 120 hours rewiring the Flight Engineers panel on her and performing “other duties as assigned.” After she was recert’d by the FAA, a select few of us were allowed to ride along on here first flight. I took along my uncle’s wings and asked Capt. Tom Cloyd (now deceased) to take them with him on the flight deck. Capt Cloyd knew my entire story and said he’d be honored to do so. The date was 29May95...my birthday and the last date my uncle made an entry in the mission diary that he kept while based on Tinian. I was called forward during the flight from the waist position. Crawling thru the tube in flight was a rush! As I "spit out" thru the tube onto the flight deck, Capt Cloyd was there to greet me and said, as he handed my uncles wings to me, "Here Owen, these will mean more to you here and now. Have a seat." With eye's watering, I enjoyed a “bombing run" over the Bangor Naval Submarine Station. Still get chills even writing about it. Few days later, FIFI left for good from Seattle's Boeing Field. The date: 04Jun95. The date of my uncle’s final mission, from which he never returned. I've not seen FIFI since that day. But I will forever remember the absolute pride and sheer joy of the unique set of circumstances that brought me to that place...at that time.

May FIFI know nothing but CAVU skies forever more.

Thanks for asking, BKB!

Owen (aka "Air Judge")
                              Owen
                              Thank you for sharing and your work on "FIFI" if you don't mind this is a story I would like to share with people when they ask me why we bust our behinds to keep these airplanes flying!

In Phoenix we were able to provide the bombardier's seat to a 90 year old vet, who had not sat there in 65 years... there again was not a dry eye in the plane or on the ground!

Lest we forget!

Chris
                              CAF
                              B-2/B-24 Squadron
                              Public Information Officer

Comment

Working...
                              X