Former Mustang owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Mustang owners

I am currently trying to interview former civilian P-51 owners (from 1946 up until the 1970s). It is a case of getting the story from the civilian perspective since WWII. I've got to meet several and have done some taped interviews with a few while in California. I have been in touch mostly with those based in California as that is where I've usually been when in the US. Not to mention the fact that said state has had a good number of civilian Mustangs present over the years.

I am now trying to spread the search a little further and hope some of the good people at WIX might help me here. If you know of any pilots in your vicinity that are known to have been the owner of a 51 I would love for you to pass on information about them to me. Or give them my contact information and let them know I'd love to meet up and do a taped interview when next in the US.

The thing is that one needs to interview these pilots now. Anyone who bought a P-51 in 1965 and was aged 35 is 80 now. The youngest I spoke with on my latest trip was 78! I missed out interviewing Joyce Haven (owner of N2869D) as she passed away three weeks before I arrived in San Francisco...

So, please send any information you can to: onmarkmarketeer*yahoo.com (substitute the * with an @ in the e-mail address)

T J

Re: Former Mustang owners

I am flying to New York in May if all goes to plan. I have one interview more or less lined up in NH and one in upstate NY, but are looking at driving as far west as the OH/ IN border if necessary. That would probably mean NC/ SC if going south by my measure.

So don't be shy, if you owned a 51 post 1946 up until the 1970s, or know someone who did, send me an e-mail!

T J

Comment

I have a good friend at my airport that used to own a Mustang, "Miss Coronado". His name is John Baugh, former President of the EAA Warbirds of America. He owned N2251D (yes, the yellow one formerly owned by Bob Hoover) for over a decade from 1977 to sometime in the 90's.

Though he doesn't own N2251D anymore, up until the last couple of years he had access to the EAA's Paul I, that he would frequently fly at our home airport (M54-Lebanon, TN). He currently has two T-34s, a Cub, an R-22, a Navajo, and a C-172XP. He is still actively flying and a member of our EAA 863. If you are interested in getting in touch with him, please PM me.

Sam
      Biplane Race #3

Comment

My hangar neighbor Pete Regina at Van Nuys built up a B Model listed below. His brother at the same time had a D model called Widow Maker. I don't have any history on that one, Skip Holm flew it a few times.

Serial #: 43-25147
        Construction #:
        103-26778
        Civ. Registration:
        N51PR
        N487FS
        Model: P-51C
        Name: Princess Elizabeth
        Status (2007): Airworthy
        Last info: 2008
        History:
        Peter Regina, Van Nuys, CA, Mar. 1981-1986.
        - Rebuilt at Van Nuys using P-51B wings and P-51D fuselage.
        - Sections recovered from Israel, fuselage ex-IDFAF "13".
        - First flight June 11, 1981.
        Joseph Kasparoff, Montebello, CA, 1987-1996.
        - Flown as 36913/"The Believer"/Race #97.
        Stephen Grey/The Fighter Collection, UK, 1996-2005.
        - Crated and shipped to UK.
        - Assembled and flown, first flight June 1997.
        - Disassembled and shipped to Pacific Fighters in Chino for restoration, Nov. 1998.
        - Airworthy, 2005.
        Jim Beasley/HMBP51C LLC, Coatsville, PA, Feb. 2, 2007-2008
        - Registered as N487FS
        - Restored to airworthy, 2007.

Comment

Drop me an email and I can give you a name that had a one. My email is racemech11@aol.com.

Comment

Jimmy owned a couple Mustangs before he got Cloud Dancer. If you want to talk to him, send me a PM.

Comment

I have a friend that started flying 51s in 1966
              Help deliver 51s to El Salvador, Honduras, Chilie, and DR by supporting them with a DC-4M ( merlin powered)
              Also worked with Cavalier conversions
              and owned a Air Museum, with a A-36
              He is presently writing a book
              Ken
              PM me I cant get thru to you
              Last edited by kensantafe; 02-05-2011, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Johnny Rutherford, Indy 500 Race winner, Fort Worth, Texas Bought and sold two P-51's in the 60's-70's...I could be off a bit on the exact years.

Comment

My next door neighbors growing up, Ed & Connie Bowlin, had two P-51's back in the mid/late 70's. I'm pretty sure they still live at Cedar Ridge Airport outside Griffin, GA. Google their names - they're pretty well known in the aviation community. Also, you can probably get hold of them through the people at Peach State Aerodrome. http://www.peachstateaero.com/dotnetnuke/

Tom

Comment

Working...
                  X