Free "mini-airshow" today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free "mini-airshow" today...

Got a bit of a treat today, and it's not even Halloween yet.

Around noon a flight of 4 Harriers overflew Moffett Field, entered the pattern separately (over-flying our location) and landed.

Maybe 1/2 hour later another "flock" of F/A-18s flew the same path. Too cool.

Then, maybe around 4:00pm while on the road I heard afterburner(s) and saw at least one Hornet crossing the runway at 90 degrees and heading North hauling butt! The others may have been in front of him

I can only assume they are here for the pre-game of the World Series/ Watch for them!

P.S....I captured some mediocre and dark (overcast) video of the Harriers and Hornets as they over-flew us on the downwind leg during their landing. Not much to see, but I'll make the footage available if anyone wants to see 'em. They sure SOUNDED impressive!

P.P.S..... GO GIANTS!

Re: Free "mini-airshow" today...

Nice job. They timed the pass to occur right at the end of the National Anthem. Perfect timing guys!

( I still get a smile when I think of that morning at Stead in the mid 80's, when the planes (F-4s) were JUST a bit late, and the band had to hold the next-to-the-last note of the anthem for what must have been 10 or 11 seconds until the jets finally arrived and passed by )

"...and the homeeeee,.....of theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee (carry note for 10 seconds).......Braveeeeeeeee."

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 10-27-2010, 05:07 PM.

Comment

The flock of four (F-18's?) in formation over-flew my work in Richmond multiple times this afternoon while awaiting their cue to over-fly the stadium. They were flying the same circular track over and over again and made for easy spotting on each round.

It was a nice distraction out the window and I hope to they do it somemore this week.

Comment

The loco news called them the Blue Angels. ???

Comment

Originally posted by Ken from PG View Post
          The loco news called them the Blue Angels. ???
          Lol! I've heard that before. They DO kind of look like the Blues from a distance (same diamond formation) but no, they were just standard Navy-gray fighters.

Comment

Re: Free \"mini-airshow\" today...

I miss flying out of Moffett. That was a cool place, even if it was surrounded by traffic from San Jose, Oakland, and San Francisco. Busy as hell.

I always whated to fly through the big hangar inverted.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
              I miss flying out of Moffett. That was a cool place, even if it was surrounded by traffic from San Jose, Oakland, and San Francisco. Busy as hell.

I always wanted to fly through the big hangar inverted.
              In a P-3??? Man you guys DO have big balls!

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                I miss flying out of Moffett...

Well, I miss seeing you (and your fellow squadron pilots) flying out of Moffett...

...and the days when it seemed like there was always at least ONE P-3 in the pattern. Nowadays we get the rare C-130, Harrier or Hornet visit, but nothing daily anymore. I've seen ONE Orion over Moffett in the last 15+ years. Other than that, the only P-3 you will see there today is the gate guardian...

....click on image for the full-size photo.....
                Last edited by AirDOGGe; 10-29-2010, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X