Idea For A New Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea For A New Class

here's an idea for a new racing class. twin engine unlimiteds. you could have P-38's, F7F's,F-82's and maybe hornets/sea hornets.[if there are any around?] any thoughts?

Re: Idea For A New Class

Would love to see the dH-103's(Hornets) race. I understand there are no flying ones still around though. Maybe a Mosquito or two would fill in. Just dreaming!

Comment

They already have that...it's called the Unlimited Class.

Sorry...all ribbing aside, they don't have enough aircraft to fill the field these days, so where you going to find 'more' twin engine aircraft to race?

Comment

yeah john,i'd like to see it.maybe someone could build a DH-103 from plans.I heard some time back a guy build a martin-baker MB-5 from plans.[single engine though]

Comment

I know big jim,it's just a dream.there are quite afew P-38's flying though.they may have to be "souped up" for racing or left stock.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
            Would love to see the dH-103's(Hornets) race. I understand there are no flying ones still around though. Maybe a Mosquito or two would fill in. Just dreaming!
            'Dreaming' alright there (& nothin' wrong w/that, mind you) - to my knowledge the nimble & super-speedy DeHavilland Hornet / Sea Hornet species are totally-extinct, regrettably.

The late & great race engine-builder Dave Zeuschel is known to have commented that a race-Merlin outfitted Hornet would indeed be an outrageously-potent Unlimited, had one survived into contemporary times.

I echo Big Jim's opinion about the potential of starting a 'Twin Engine UNL Class'. Yes indeed, we are currently going through a short-field era in the Unlimiteds at Reno. As for P-38s racing again in the class, we ('me' included) can only hope & pray that Lightnings will reappear one day in the future out on the racecourse.

F-82s!!! That's a real long-shot f/that ever happening (but, hey, "Just when ya think ya know- -ya NEVER know!",-as the saying goes, especially in air racing).

Actually, today's current generation of air racing fans are getting a leetle bit spoiled, via what we're been able to see & enjoy racing during the years that followed the fantastic 1960s-70s UNL era. When did you ever expect to see not one, but-TWO Grumman F7F Tigercats racing at the same time together, right Jim?

Alright, already then- Let's start puttin' the ole' 'Attractor-Factor' into play & start collectively-wishing...

Bring on that suped-up monster DO-335 Arrow racer, boys!!!

DBD
            Last edited by BuckyD; 10-23-2010, 03:28 PM.

Comment

check out dhhornet50.net. this group looks to be building a DH 103 from plans.

Comment

Hey Mustang- BIG THX f/posting that very cool & special Hornet link!

By jove- I believe those talented chaps are really going to pull it off, eh?!! Incredible!!! (-like I said: "just when ya think ya know...")

I bet once that little rocket takes to the air- EVERYBODY's gonna want one!

DBD

Comment

you never know.they could build more than just one.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyD View Post
                    When did you ever expect to see not one, but-TWO Grumman F7F Tigercats racing at the same time together, right Jim?
                    Truly one of those "when pigs fly" events....and in the GOLD at that. Definitely makes the highlight reel of my nearly 40 years of Reno.

Comment

turbine....

If you want a new class turbine is the only one out there, we already have unlimiteds piston powered propeller driven minimum weight..otherwise anything goes put as many engines as you want on it

Comment

I'd like to see another branch of the Sport Class; something like kits with one engine not greater than 400 cubic inches. This would include Lancair 360s and Glasair IIs.

Scotty G. would have the best chance at winning the first year, I'd wager.

I think the Sport Class and Super Sports are already too expensive for many owners/pilots.

Call the new class, "Sport Light."

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by FlyKidChris View Post
                          I'd like to see another branch of the Sport Class; something like kits with one engine not greater than 400 cubic inches. This would include Lancair 360s and Glasair IIs.

Scotty G. would have the best chance at winning the first year, I'd wager.

I think the Sport Class and Super Sports are already too expensive for many owners/pilots.

Call the new class, "Sport Light."

Thoughts?
                          I think that might have the same problem as the super sport class does. I would guess it would be limited to an 8 aircraft field. When 2-3 of them have issues during the week, you end up with a very small field in the final.

Comment

Working...
                          X