Sea Fury Worlds Record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sea Fury Worlds Record

Saw this at the San Diego Air and Space museum. I remember reading about Miss Merced in the Guiness or Almanac of the 70's. The record wasnt the same one that was set by Greenamyer.

Anyone have the straight dope on this claim?

"dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Re: Sea Fury Worlds Record

Guinness isn't exactly the official source of aviation speed records. That would be the FAI (Fédération Aéronautique Internationale).

Comment

Originally posted by race9 View Post
      Guinness isn't exactly the official source of aviation speed records.
      Ahh... doesn't that depend on how many said Guinness' one has consumed??

Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Yeah, for years Mike Carroll/Signal Sea Fury (aka Miss Merced/Super Chief) was listed in the Gueniss Book of World Records as having 'unofficially' having been clocked at 520 mph across Texas....but that was one of those "no sh*t, the airspeed indicator was reading....." situations.

Carroll never attempted a sanctioned speed record attempt.

I bet if you asked Tiger what he's seen on the airspeed indicator he'd say "Oh, I've seen 540 before" or something like that. But 540 on the guage doesn't calculate to 540 across the ground.

That's why nobody ever gave any credence to Carroll's claim...regardless of whether it was in the book of records. And usually, it was an asterisk after the official record (I remember seeing it for both Greenamyer and Hinton).

Comment

It was converted to mph from a groundspeed readout by Ft. Worth Center on a cross country at altitude. That's what I was told a long time ago by old guys.
          Great way to promote air racing though.

Comment

"dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................

Comment

Originally posted by Ken from PG View Post
              "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................
              Spoken by Jim himself
              "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Is Jim still around? Last time I spoke with him was about 15 years ago at Flo's in Chino. He told me he was selling his aircraft and planned to travel the world. Wonder if that ever happened (travel part that is)...

T J

Comment

Back in 95 he told me the same thing, TJ. I was told he was at Al Goss' memorial.

Comment

Working...
                  X