Love Daryl's tow motor ;~)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Love Daryl's tow motor ;~)

I really like the "tow motor" in the old picture of Daryl's picture posted by "Bayles Scott". Does anyone know what happened to that airplane or where it is now ??

Cloudchaser
    Last edited by Cloudchaser427; 11-30-2010, 09:25 AM.

Re: Love Daryl's tow motor ;~)

Originally posted by Cloudchaser427 View Post
    I really like the "tow motor" in the old picture of Daryl's picture posted by "Bayles Scott". Does anyone know what happened to that airplane or where it is now ??

Cloudchaser
    It's in the Smithsonian.

Comment

I've seen a picture of oxen towing it also, and the "ramp rat report" that year said that "Darryl's oxen are mustang ranch rejects".
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Cloudchaser427 View Post
        Does anyone know what happened to that airplane or where it is now ??

Cloudchaser

Like Race5 mentioned, it's in the Smithsonian. More specifically, it's at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center near Washington Dulles International Airport.

This was a few years ago but...
        Attached Files
        Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
        My Photos
        My Ride

Comment

Honestly, its sad to see a bird like that all caged up. They should at least take her out for a short flight once in a while.
          My heart starts beating again in September.

Comment

Originally posted by DWYER View Post
            Honestly, its sad to see a bird like that all caged up. They should at least take her out for a short flight once in a while.
            I have to disagree. Full blown race program or in a museum. There is no in between.

If a race plane is going to get smashed up it deserves to be smashed up while it is doing what it was meant to do, not on some sunday cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo View Post
              Like Race5 mentioned, it's in the Smithsonian. More specifically, it's at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center near Washington Dulles International Airport.

This was a few years ago but...
              I have GOT to get to the S. F. U.-H. Center the next time I'm in DC... but I've been saying that for years. I didn't realize that Conquest 1 was tucked under the wing of the Dash-80. Lots of aviation history right there (not to mention a fair amount of yellow paint... )

Comment

Looks like N1111L's natural aluminum prop spinner could sure use a good buffin'-up at this time though...

DBD

Comment

Do you think it will ever be sold and possibly raced or flown again?
                  Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 10-19-2010, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Still amazes me that he went 483.041mph if memory serves me correctly in 1969 with a P&W 2800. I wonder how fast it would go with a 3350. Wonder what the difference in drag is between his little bubble canopy and what is on Rare Bear.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
                      Do you think it will ever be sold and possibly raced or flown again?
                      Not a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                        Still amazes me that he went 483.041mph if memory serves me correctly in 1969 with a P&W 2800. I wonder how fast it would go with a 3350. Wonder what the difference in drag is between his little bubble canopy and what is on Rare Bear.
                        I'd like to see what it could do with a little modern aerodynamic tweaking and the 2800 out of Czech Mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                          Not a chance.
                          What if the museum really needed the money and began selling off some of its items. Is that possible?

If they did sell it, how much do you think it would fetch on the market?

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
                            What if the museum really needed the money and began selling off some of its items. Is that possible?

If they did sell it, how much do you think it would fetch on the market?
                            It's the Smithsonian...not the Commemorative Air Force.... (ducking)

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                              It's the Smithsonian...not the Commemorative Air Force.... (ducking)
                              Dude! You owe me a keyboard for that one.

Comment

Working...
                              X