Reno 2010: Knotty Girl/Warlock Tribute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reno 2010: Knotty Girl/Warlock Tribute

I just borrowed my dad's (Randy Goss) Reno Air Race 2010 Program, after he told me about Philip Goforth's Knotty Girl/Warlock Tribute and was wondering if anyone else had anymore pictures of the plane other than the one that is in the program itself.

I heard the reactions at the air races were mixed for what he did with the plane's paint job to honor my grandfather and his plane, but I couldn't have been happier with it. It made me proud to see someone fly the colors for him since his passing this year. I just wish I could have been there to shake Philip's hand myself for doing this.
    Last edited by Big_Mark; 10-17-2010, 11:11 PM.

Re: Reno 2010: Knotty Girl/Warlock Tribute

Here are few taken at Phillip's home airport the week before Reno.

Comment

Love that first shot.. You can just make out the T6 on the wing.

Comment

Mark -- I haven't seen you since you were running around on a tricycle -- a long time ago! Philip really respected your family, and got a lot of support and encouragement from the Goss family when he started racing. His tribute looked great on the ground and in the air. Everybody I talked to about it thought it was a wonderful idea and was very supportive of Philip doing it. I just can't believe he even painted on all those rivets!

Neal Nurmi

Last edited by wingman; 10-19-2010, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Mark View Post
          I heard the reactions at the air races were mixed for what he did with the plane's paint job to honor my grandfather and his plane
          I didn't hear anything negative at all, personally.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin View Post
            I didn't hear anything negative at all, personally.
            Me either. I was pretty moved by it. One of the best things to happen this year in my opinion.

Comment

2010 was the first time I experienced Reno as part of a race team- when Phil called me and asked if I wanted to help crew I didn't have to think before replying " Hell yeah !".
              The fact that it was this year with the Warlock tribute made the whole experience that much more memorable, I don't know if anything will ever top it. I heard nothing but positive comments all week, some of the most appreciative comments were from the Warlock crew.
              I feel honored to have been a part of something very special this year.
              Russ
              Knotty Girl Crew

Comment

I knew Al Goss for at least 26 years & yes Phil is another Al in the making. He couldn't have given a greater tribute for Al & the "Warlock" group. Thanks Phil.
                Lockheed Bob

Comment

I have to agree with everyone else. When Phil brought Warlock/Knotty Girl to the Warlock pits for the Warlock party, we moved everything out of the way so he could park it there. My eyes weren't the only ones that were whelled up. I never heard anything negative from anyone. I believe everyone was pretty much overwhelmed that Phil would pay such a tribute to Al, the team, and Warlock. Personally, it was very special. Your Dad has been such a great friend to me, and through him I got to know your grandfather. Both are something I will always cherish. Now if we could have gotten a picture of your uncle sitting in Knotty Girl/Warlock, that would be awesome. When I saw your uncle at the party, I had forgotten how much your uncle and your grandfather look alike!

Race 29
                  Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Originally posted by 3dWrightBrother View Post
                    2010 was the first time I experienced Reno as part of a race team- when Phil called me and asked if I wanted to help crew I didn't have to think before replying " Hell yeah !".
                    The fact that it was this year with the Warlock tribute made the whole experience that much more memorable, I don't know if anything will ever top it. I heard nothing but positive comments all week, some of the most appreciative comments were from the Warlock crew.
                    I feel honored to have been a part of something very special this year.
                    Russ
                    Russ, truly warmed my heart watching you work with the team! Every time I saw you, you were "elbows and assholes" busy....
                    Attached Files
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne- Had the time of my life, Phil kept telling me to relax but I was just flat out enjoying myself and wanted to be sure and pull my own weight. The whole crew were super to work with and I hope to get the chance to work with them all again next year. Crew photo attached.
                      Back Row-Phil, Willie Diaz, Russ Wright, Jamie Young
                      Front Row-Keaton Sena, Cameron Aro, Eric Butner, Brad Moffett
                      Wilie was the f1 crew chief of the year. Missing from the photo is Phil's wife Kelly.
                      Can't thank Phil and Kelly enough for giving me the opportunity to have been a part of this !
                      Russ
                      Attached Files
                      Knotty Girl Crew

Comment

Attached Files
                        Last edited by Ken from PG; 10-22-2010, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Thanks a bunch guys! Yeah I only heard from someone about the reactions being mixed, I guess you can't trust everything you hear haha. I wish I would have been there to see it being wheeled in, that certainly would have been a touching sight for sure. Yeah I miss going there for the races and hanging out with everyone in the pits. I really regret not being there the year Al won. Haha, that's another thing I remember about being there, him always saying "Don't call me grandpa it makes me sound old."

Comment

Working...
                          X