Reno 2012?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reno 2012?

Hi everyone...my cousin and I are tentatively planning on attending our first air races in as adults and need some opinions on how to optimize the experience.
    I have seen the pricing for pit passes etc but where would you suggest is the best place to witness the races? Are pit passes going to allow us to interact with the crews or at least get us close enough to see what's going on? Is it worth the money? If not there, where else would be the best place to see the action?
    What other tidbits would you veterens suggest? Inside tips to optimize our experience? Certain gear, clothing, cameras, etc...?
    Thanks for your help!

Chad

Re: Reno 2012?

Reserved seat sections give paying customers the best view, as they are located at 'show-center" so to speak. The general seating stands sit off to the right of center.

Box seats in front of the reserved stands get you a bit closer, but aren't elevated, so there's a trade-off as far as view goes (though box seats have other benefits to more than make up for it). Box seat veterans can provide more info there than I can.

Pit passes are great. You can get right up to the action, but be careful about disturbing the race folk if they look busy. Getting a plane (and crew) ready for a race can be a b*tch...pardon my Latin.

I believe in many cases it's best to try to talk to race team folk AFTER they're done racing for the day and are more relaxed. You get better conversation that way
    Last edited by AirDOGGe; 10-13-2010, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Pit passes, at least for one day, are essential (in my opinion). That's simply where the action is. In the pits you can get within 5 feet of any given Unlimited or T6 racer. In the sport & biplane hangars there is no separation between you and the racers. The pits is also a great place to watch the races.

Bring lots of winter/spring/summer/fall clothing. Chances are you'll need all of it.

Bring a decent camera to take a photos, but unless you're a photography enthusiast temper your desire to take a gazillion photos. I've gone home a couple times wishing I hadn't watched the races through my viewfinder. It kinda felt like I had missed something.

That's my 2 cents.

Comment

Buy a GA (general admission) ticket to get in the gate, then buy a pit pass.

Spend time in the pits and watch the show from the pit area. When you want to sit and see the races or whatever...sit in the GA stands. They are fine, but crowded on Sunday. Walk the static area, lots of places to see the show.

Dress for all four seasons to occur in one day.

Drink plenty of water, take pictures with your camera on the "sports" setting, have a nice set of binoculars.

Get there early and stay late. The pits and the sky filled with planes after a race day can be a magical place at sunset.

Enjoy.
        '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Thank you all for your advice! I pretty much figured I wanted to get pit passes (am hoping Tsunami will be there so can get up nice and close as well as all the others!). Gotta invest in a decent camera and binoculars.
          Lodging...would renting a camper be any better than getting a room locally? Is there food available at the race or should we plan on bringing food in the backpack we'll need for all the clothes we have to pack?

Comment

We've done lawn chairs on the ramp for years, the only time we strayed was when they had the cool platforms on top of the stands. Get there early (like 6:30 a.m.) and you get a seat at the ramp fence with an unobstructed view (except for the occasional truck or cart) and the benefit of being there to see Stead wake up and see the early races. Pit passes are essential, but I limit mine to the week before the races during quali's. It's cheaper, less crowded and you get a better chance to talk to the crews.
            Walk around during the first couple days when the action is a little slower. There are a few different places to watch from (pits, stands, ramp, static) and each has it's own benefits.
            They don't allow food or drink, but I usually take a couple small bottles of water and a couple of PBJ's to eat. They are not as tight as they used to be if it is obvious you are just taking subsistance food and drink in. The grocery bag of snacks, sandwiches and chips is verboten.
            Stay hydrated and have fun!
            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Do they sell food there or do they just not allow food at all?

Comment

Oh, you can buy tons of it inside, everything from beer and wine to burgers, dogs, Thai and indian tacos. Kettle corn, jelly bellies, you name it.
                Prices are just a little steep for my taste.

The bag searches this year were focusing on weapons, glass and alcohol. They also stopped coolers and bags of food as far as I saw. Some years they will confiscate a single M&M as contraband, others they don't seem so tight. If you've got your chair, camera bag and little else they were cool. Bring a backpack that seems to need wheels and be prepared to be checked closely. Test the waters on an early day, pick the line with the friendliest checker, strike up a conversation and don't try and hide anything. You get from them (well most, there are some people that you just cannot make smile) what you give.
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks Leo..just trying to get my ducks in a row as it were. I don't mind them making some money on me but I'm gonna be there all week so more than a meal a day get's really expensive!

Chad

Comment

The Saturday and Sunday before quali's are free, arrival days. Monday and Tuesday it's free to sit in the stands for quali's, or $7 for a pit pass, and you bring in whatever you want, most vendors are still setting up. On Wednesday it starts adding up as you need a GM ticket and a pit pass to see it all. Parking can add up. $10 a day is the cheapest and it gets higher as you get closer to the gate. I have air racr plates (Nevada) and it's free but close to a mile away!
                    NAG has a pit pass/ticket deal that looks good and I am going to try it next year. Was a little out of budget this year.
                    With the economy the way it is I've had to really economize so I am probably a cheapskate in many eyes, but at least I can still go!
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                    X