Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the history of the high-strung Unlimited Racers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the history of the high-strung Unlimited Racers?

My question is:

What is the history of the fastest Unlimited Racers, like Strega, Dago Red, Voodoo, Rare Bear...? Were they wrecked planes that were purchased and rebuilt into race machines, or were they stock planes that were modified over time, or bits and pieces of planes that were put together to make a racer...?

Is it fair to say that nobody would take a stock Mustang, Bear Cat, Sea Fury... and convert it into a high-strung racer today?
    Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 10-12-2010, 10:54 AM.

Re: What is the history of the high-strung Unlimited Racers?

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
    My question is:

What is the history of the fastest Unlimited Racers, like Strega, Dago Red, Voodoo, Rare Bear...? Were they wrecked planes that were purchased and rebuilt into race machines, or were they stock planes that were modified over time, or bits and pieces of planes that were put together to make a racer...?

Is it fair to say that nobody would take a stock Mustang, Bear Cat, Sea Fury... and convert it into a high-strung racer today?
    You need to find back issues of Warbird Digest from 2006...where the history of all the racing Mustang's were outlined.

But essentially:

Strega was a derelict airframe imported from Australia.

Dago Red was rebuilt from a gaudily-painted Mustang that torque-rolled on takeoff and crashed.

Voodoo was modified from 'semi-stock' condition as the former Pegasus...a stock rebuild project from 1985.

Rare Bear was a wreck recovered in Indiana in 1968, modified over time.

Galloping Ghost was a stock airframe that was modified over time from 1970-2009.

Red Baron, Sumthin' Else, Vendetta, and Precious Metal (1) were stock airframes modified over time.

Stiletto and Precious Metal (2) were 'parts' birds that were purpose-built as racers.

September Fury was a stock Sea Fury that was modified for racing, but with all modifications made so that they could be easily removed and put back into stock condition.

Furias was built up from three or four different wrecked airframes.

Dreadnought was an (I believe) Indonesian target tug modified for racing with the same 'theory' as Sept. Fury.

Super Corsair was a derelict F4U-1 "wind machine" brought back to life as a racer with parts from several other airframes.

Blind Man's Bluff/Critical Mass was an ex-German two-seat target tug modified for racing.

The two racing Yak's were stock airframes modified for racing.

I think that just about covers it. Any racers I forgot?

Comment

Kevin Grantham, Nick Veronico, and myself are updating our book on the history of the racing Mustang. We look at the history of the type, stock and racing Merlins, systems, and take an in-depth look at certain racers such as Beguine, Ghost, Strega, Dago, and Voodoo.

Hopefully will be out next year.
      Scotty G

Comment

Cool. Can't wait.
        Chris...

Comment

Working...
        X