How about another 1000 mile race?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about another 1000 mile race?

My introduction to air racing was at the San Diego 1000. Hooked like a trout ever since...

I say we need another 1000 mile race.

100 laps.

Very different racing strategy. Won’t need the “super hot” engines and factor in pit stops.

What do ya’ll think?

A three day air show culminating with a;
    50 lap jet race and a 100 lap unlimited race.
    Perhaps another racing class, or two….

Any air show producers out there? I have plenty of ideas and will work for pit passes.
    '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Re: How about another 1000 mile race?

I'll toss this in since I've been working on a project about the Mojave races for the last several years, and have been able to speak first-hand to a lot of the surviving pilots/crews who raced at the three 1000 mile/km races in 1970-71.

To a man, they said it was too much, too hard on them. Some of the guys had to fly with relief pilots. The guys who flew non-stop were completely exhausted--except Clay Lacy, who I don't think even broke out in a sweat. That was one of the factors that led to the last race to be shortened to 1000 km instead of 1000 miles.

I remember several years ago talking to Gary Levitz right after he got out of his Mustang at Reno. He said "Man...that was brutal!" He was covered in sweat, completely worn out, and that was just for a 6 lap heat race.

The amount of g's pulled on a short Reno-style course would just be too much for the pilots to take. Remember, Mojave was run on a 15 mile course, and San Diego was on a 10 mile course. The Mojave course in particular, was hand-designed by Darryl Greenamyer so as to reduce the amoung of g-s on the pilots. Also remember, those races lasted THREE HOURS.

The pit stops would be a HUGE issue as well, in this day and age of environmentalism. Go back and watch the videos from those races and look at how much raw fuel is being spilled all over the place with engines turning and people all around. The pit area was chaos, and the fact that over the course of the three races nobody was ever hurt and nothing ever caught fire is absolutely amazing. I don't think the EPA (or the FAA, for that matter) would look favorably on that much fuel being spilled out in the open, even if the fuelling paddock was located away from the stands like it was back then.

The final thing is...where you gonna put it? I would LOVE to be able to go back and race at Mojave again. One of my favorite places. But no races can ever be held there again, so...where do you have open enough space to put even a 10 mile race course? Maybe somewhere out in the middle of Texas or Mirana Air Park in Arizona...but now you run into the logistics of lodging, facilities, etc. I've always thought the former George AFB in Victorville, CA would be a great place for a race, but....

Just things to think about. I liked the concept of the 'pit stop races'. It brought strategy into it instead of just going balls-out for 8 laps. But I am not sure that, at least for the Unlimited Class, it is realistic in 2010.

Comment

BigJim...pardon my ignorance here but it's been a long time since I watched racing at Mojave (mid 1970's). Why can't the races be held at Mojave any more? What about places like the Great Salt Lake where they do land speed records (or at least used to).

Chad

Comment

Originally posted by ChadK View Post
        BigJim...pardon my ignorance here but it's been a long time since I watched racing at Mojave (mid 1970's). Why can't the races be held at Mojave any more? What about places like the Great Salt Lake where they do land speed records (or at least used to).

Chad
        The race course was laid out to the east of the big northwest-southeast runway. Several years ago they built the new Hwy 58 'bypass' coming out of Tahachapi, cutting across the north and east sides of the airport, and connecting with 'old hwy 58' on the southeast side of the airport...essentially circumventing the town of Mojave.

When they did that the race course was cut in half by an interstate freeway.

Even if you could move all the stored airliners out of the way (one of the big storage lots is right where the 1st pylon is still located), the DOT, I'm sure, wouldn't be interested in shutting down a freeway to accomodate racing.

As for Salt Lake...where you going to fly in and out of? Where are you going to have the logistics needed to get equipment in and out of there? Where are you going to put spectators and how are you going to get them out there in an organized fashion? Just my opinion, but running land-speed cars on the salt is a different demon entirely than trying to have a sanctioned airshow/race out in the middle of nowhere safely.
        Last edited by Big_Jim; 10-10-2010, 11:41 AM.

Comment

All excellent points Jim...I don't know the area at at all obviously or the first thing about the logistics of the sport. I'm just a fan who would love to see it blossom to being a circuit and was trying to think of big wide open spaces!

Comment

Why not Wendover NV/UT? besides it being out in the middle of BFE. It has everything needed. lodging, an ex AFB base,fuel, history, Not sure about the area, but looking at it, I'm sure a course could be laid out. Might even be a good place for a second permanent venue.

Comment

Just move the highway.

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by wolfee View Post
                Why not Wendover NV/UT? besides it being out in the middle of BFE. It has everything needed. lodging, an ex AFB base,fuel, history, Not sure about the area, but looking at it, I'm sure a course could be laid out. Might even be a good place for a second permanent venue.
                Not much lodging. Three or four medium sized hotels doesn't compare to Reno. Attendance would be small.

Jarrod

Comment

wend over would be a great place for an air race, but a terrible place for an air acing event. It is a good 2 hours by car from Salt Lake City, about 6 hours by car from Reno with no air service that I know of. As Jarrod pointed out it only has a few hotels, and for all intents and purpose isn't much more than a big truck stop. To get anybody other than a hardcore die hard race fan to show up, well good luck with that.

Comment

I would like to see a 100 mile race. 10 laps of a ten mile course. I think speeds would be pretty high because of the larger course and the racers would have enough liquids to go without running out, at least I think they would.

Jarrod

Comment

Working...
                    X