Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The cost to compete

Guys & Gals,

I read in a recent thread some posts where folks have mentioned some of the costs to be at Reno as a competitor (I think the thread about the winnings, or something).

I'd be interested to have this thread about not the winnings, but the costs. Since the Bipe/F-1 is the "everyman's" class, I'd like to see what you truly spend for the days you're here and if "everyman" could actually afford to participate. Also, the Sports/T-6/Unlims would provide interesting comparisons, too. Examples being total hotels, transportation (car/truck/trailer rentals, whatever), entry fees (don't forget PRS), gas to get there, race insurance, incidentals, crew, spare parts you bring, you name it! Obviously, those at the higher levels of competition will spend exponentially more, but for the lay person, I'd be curious what the bottom-dollar is (and top, for that matter).

Sam
    Biplane Race #3

Re: The cost to compete

All of these figures can be adjusted up or down depending on where you run in the Unlimited (bronze, silver or gold), how far away you live and incidentals. Nobody on our crew is paid though a couple of the top teams pay a select few.
    Entry Fee $800
    Fuel to fly plane to and from Reno $4000
    Rv for pit $1000
    Insurance(liability only) for the week $5000 (Air Power Ins.)
    Car rentals $800
    Hotel rooms $4500
    Meals for crew $2500
    Race fuel $5000
    ADI $700
    Fuel for support truck/trailer $750
    Beer/incidentals for crew and "friends" $1500
    Extra pit passes $1000
    Oil $500 (Aeroshell) round motor< if it aint leaking its out of oil>
    Cleaning and other supplies $500 (see above)
    Having your'e plane in the Unlimited Gold on Sunday...priceless!
    Spare parts are hard to count since we bring every spare(one of everything except motor) we have in the hangar and don't normally use anything but spark plugs ($55per), water/adi pump($1500 overhauled) and electric fuel pump($1200 overhauled). If you finish somewhere in the middle of the gold you might break even with prize money, but only if you make it back home no problems.

Ray

Comment

Thanks for the insight ray so to compete at the top level really is a love of the sport and flying and competing because there isnt the rembursment to cover the costs

Comment

Actually, I think that's true for all motorsports. As the competition and their equipment improve, costs increase but prize money does not.

Comment

The cost to race F-1 Dancing Queen, was $15,000+ per year, and we did it 3 times. Each year Bill logged 58 minutes flying time! That comes out to about $258.62 per minute in the air! Can you beleive that we did that THREE times?

I would hate to say what it cost in 1987 with Blind Man's Bluff. I get dizzy and light headed just thinking about it!

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
            Actually, I think that's true for all motorsports. As the competition and their equipment improve, costs increase but prize money does not.
            Ummmmm no.

Greg Hodnett also won live on SPEED taking home $50,000 in the National Open at Williams Grove Speedway... The inaugurla Ironman 55 at I-55 Raceway was held, with Craig Dollansky winning the opener and Joey Saldana taking home the top prize in the $20,000 finale which was 55 laps in distance, the longest race in the modern era of the World of Outlaws.
            From here:

Fifty years later, the Daytona 500 is NASCAR's biggest, richest and most prestigious race.

"The Great American Race," which traditionally hosts a sell out crowd, has the biggest total payout in prize money for any motorsports event in the United States, surpassing the Indianapolis 500 and the Brickyard 400. The 2007 Daytona 500 posted awards exceed more than $18 million with race winner Kevin Harvick pocketing more than $1.5 million
            From here:

Comment

I actually put this together for the French pilots and then assisted my friend Scott Nelson race this year in the sport class. This is a good representation of the expense to race in the Sport Class if you don't own a plane and can find someone stupid enough to let you thrash their..

Glasair III, $200 per hour plus fuel or $300 per hour.....

Fly to and from PRS and fly all week including FAST Training and check ride. 11 hours $3300

Fly to and from races, race all week. 7 hours $2100

Entry: $500
              Insurance:$400
              Hotel for both PRS and Races (12 nights) $1200
              Team Stuff:$300

Drinking Money:???

Total Non owner, no problems.........$7800
              http://www.kevineldredge.com
              http://www.myairport.com
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks to all that have replied. Good info
                Biplane Race #3

Comment

Originally posted by flyboycpa View Post
                  Thanks to all that have replied. Good info
                  Sam,
                  Are you looking to really hot rod the Swift and take it racing? It would be super cool to see a cleaned up Swift with a big engine out running with the Sport class (My best guess for classing ) It could almost be a throw back to the early days of racing, back when the Swift was new. Who knows, done right it might be pretty fast.

Will

Comment

One of the years Mike Brown brought only Pops and Bossman the fuel cost for the week was $15,000, I remember watching him sign the check over and my mouth fell open. That Tigercat is a thirsty bird and Mike sure didn't baby her around the course.
                    Jason
                    Jason Schillereff

Comment

Kevin nailed for almost all of us it cost that much even to run an f1 in the show the only diff is the smaller the plane the smaller the purse but what a sweet way to blow money baby I'll never stop

Comment

Originally posted by f1-69 View Post
                        Kevin nailed for almost all of us it cost that much even to run an f1 in the show the only diff is the smaller the plane the smaller the purse but what a sweet way to blow money baby I'll never stop
                        Of course racing Relentless was not so sweet. Here is the quick math!

One Lycoming 540-NXT $92,000
                        One brand new MT racing Prop. $15,000
                        A list of misc. parts: $$5000
                        New Carbon cowling:$12,000
                        3 man months labor before: ????
                        3 man months labor to repair: ???
                        Paint to return to beauty: ???

Not so sweet? Oh, I did sell about $3500 in tee shirts

I need a good doctor!!!
                        http://www.kevineldredge.com
                        http://www.myairport.com
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                          Sam,
                          Are you looking to really hot rod the Swift and take it racing? It would be super cool to see a cleaned up Swift with a big engine out running with the Sport class (My best guess for classing ) It could almost be a throw back to the early days of racing, back when the Swift was new. Who knows, done right it might be pretty fast.

Will
                          Will,
                          Running the Swift sure would be fun. As many of you know, Cris Ferguson, Sport Biplane racer and PRS instructor, had a Swift that he had some pics taken around the pylons. Maybe I could give him a run for his money, but I'd be sucking hind t_t behind even the slowest of the slow in Sport. Would be fun, though! Balls out with my 210hp Continental, I'm only indicating 180mph (185 Vne).

Of course I'd like to run in any class, but I'm actually more realistically looking at F-1 or Sport Biplane in the future.

Sam Swift
                          Biplane Race #3

Comment

What about the companies that sponsor the planes (ie: aeroshell, champion, grand siera hotel, jelly belly, ect)? What kind of percentage, on average, do they contribute? Most advertizing isnt cheap, cant imagine that haveing your name on the side of an airplane is cheap.

Steak
                            Remember: No drinking within 50 feet of the aircraft, and no smoking within 8 hours!

Comment

Working...
                            X