RV Camping @ Stead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RV Camping @ Stead

The wife and I recently got ourselves a 30' travel trailer and are planning on taking it to the races next year. We'd love to hear about your Reno RV experiences this year.

What were the pros and cons of the two lots?
    Services available like wi-fi, TV reception, dumping & fresh water?
    Ok to run a quiet generator?
    Any problems with the neighbors?
    Room for a 30' trailer + truck? Space size?
    What do they typically charge per night or week?

Any insight and recommendations would be appreciated.
    Sky Critter

Re: RV Camping @ Stead

St Michael's is a common place to camp with your RV and have hookups right at the airport and is within walking distance of the races. http://www.stmichaelreno.org/rar.htm

There are a few dry camping areas at Stead. Otherwise, some of the hotels have campgrounds if you plan on driving into the races each day.

Comment

I stayed in the lot across the street from the St Michaels Church......they own and run it. I think it was around $160. You pay for the whole week, in my case, I didn't get there till wednesday night. It's dry camping. No problems with neighbors. I turned off my generator at 9:00 at night, I heard some running past that. To be honest, most generators are so quite, you can hardly hear them.....so not a problem. The sites are very close together. You're on dirt...or maybe some old asphalt, partially covered with sand. I never needed it, but I understand a water truck comes around and you can get water for a fee..........I didn't need any. There was a huge dumpster for garbage. As far as noise from neighbors, I didn't have a problem, but I'm sure somewhere, there's a few rowdy's. This was my first year staying at the air races, I've always stayed at Boomtown about 30 minute drive away. I plan on staying at Stead next year too. It's nice to walk 5 minutes and be at the races......plus can take a nice walk at night and see what's happening in the pitts........also, a lot of flying go on in the evenings, and early morning.
      Brian

Comment

Every year, I spend the best 9 days of the year in the Church dirt lot, camping in a tent, next to my bike. I bet I have spent two months of my life there. I know alot of the people that come back year after year. In the evening, you can sit out under the stars, self medicate, and watch the satallites and International Space Station fly by and socialize. The $169 (with tax) weekly charge is tax deductable. Need a short nap on say Tuesday during the day? It is but a short walk. Its pretty open till the end of the week. The church has a good website where it details all the prices and services. I got no complaints except Matt the campground manager wont let us camp on the back hill anymore. You will have enough room for a 30 footer and tow vehicle.

Comment

Don't forget the Optimist's Club RV lot, which is further west down the ramp from St Michael's. It sits between the main gate and the pit gate.

Don't know what their availability is -- I understand they fill up quite a bit in advance.

Comment

The west lot (RARA) just west of the pits is great
            Been staying there for almost 10 yrs
            Dry camping- water and pumping avail
            Ken

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
              I stayed in the lot across the street from the St Michaels Church......they own and run it. I think it was around $160. You pay for the whole week, in my case, I didn't get there till wednesday night. It's dry camping. No problems with neighbors. I turned off my generator at 9:00 at night, I heard some running past that. To be honest, most generators are so quite, you can hardly hear them.....so not a problem. The sites are very close together. You're on dirt...or maybe some old asphalt, partially covered with sand. I never needed it, but I understand a water truck comes around and you can get water for a fee..........I didn't need any. There was a huge dumpster for garbage. As far as noise from neighbors, I didn't have a problem, but I'm sure somewhere, there's a few rowdy's. This was my first year staying at the air races, I've always stayed at Boomtown about 30 minute drive away. I plan on staying at Stead next year too. It's nice to walk 5 minutes and be at the races......plus can take a nice walk at night and see what's happening in the pitts........also, a lot of flying go on in the evenings, and early morning.
              Brian
              Everything Brian said about the St Michael's site is my sentiments as well.

Only noise that woke me up was the guy throwing up his guts after a night with the worm. Hahahaha!

SaniHut will come pump your tanks but you have to call and schedule in advance. They will also fill your fresh tank but it's cheaper to go to Scolaris and fill up some 5 gallon bottles at 41 cents a gallon (Sani wanted $50 flat fee)

Don

Comment

St. Michaels is ideally situated near the main entrance. They have plenty of porta-potties and pay showers. The church also offers (for a fee) breakfast and dinners some of the days. Generators are not a huge problem unless the run constantly or after 9pm. This year I was near someone who sat in their unit and watched tv all day an well past 9, the drone of their generator just got annoying. Word to the wise…Bring a rake and an outdoor rug, the foxtails/cheat grass make a mess in your unit if you are in the dry camp area.

Comment

Bring bicycles and lock them outside the gates. The distances from the camp site to the gates can be a moderate walk and bicycles seem to make it so much easier on the legs and allows you more freedom to move about once there.

Comment

Ken, does the RARA lot have sani-huts and is it all asphalt or is there some dirt to pitch a tent?

Chris who wonders when there will be a new church on his old lot.

Comment

We stayed in the west lot this year. Can't wait for next year. The lot is larger gravel over dirt. We put a small 2x3 rug down in front of the step and another just inside the camper. We also got some dust buildup on the window screens, so the inside of the camper after a week needed to be wiped down. One other thing is 2 nights grilling outside was doable, but challenging with the Reno wind.

Another thing about the west lot is you are required to buy pit passes. While that may hurt you pocket book it was well worth it. We were a very easy walk ~50-75 yards from the west entance of the pit area. Very short walk in the morning to see the F-1 and Bipe folks getting ready and racing. During some of the days we would walk back thru the pits to the camper for sandwiches and drinks.

Skycritter - I sent you a PM also.
                      Last edited by degroodtt; 10-07-2010, 05:49 AM. Reason: added note to Skycritter

Comment

Question from a non-camper. What is Dry Camping?

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy View Post
                          Question from a non-camper. What is Dry Camping?
                          Taking you RV or trailer into a park or lot that has no sewer, fresh water, or electric hook-ups

You are dependent on what you have stored in your water tanks, sewer tank size, propane supply, battery or generator.

Don

Comment

OK. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Dry camping means - Telling the wife "we are going to spend $300- more this year, but we will have pit passes, be able to save more than $300 by grilling our own food and eating breakfast at the camper".
                              Then 2 weeks before the races telling her --- Oh Yea, we only have 40 gallons of water for 3 of us for the week. That includes showers, doing dishes and potty.

Lucky for me the CAP had free water and I didn't need to buy water from sani-hut for $50-

Comment

Working...
                              X