Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Went Right at Reno?

Hey, everyone!
    So, I had a great time in Reno this year, and I think a lot of you did too. I was really disappointed by the Unlimited Gold race cancellation, and I think a lot of you were too.

An associate of mine (who can identify himself if he wants to) and I have decided that the anti-climax of Sunday afternoon is ruining our perception of the week as a whole. We want to change this. So what went right? What was fun? What was inspiring? Who did you meet? How and where? Where did you watch the races from? Did you consume waaaaaaaay too much of (fill in the blank)? Anything else?

I'll be putting together my response for later tonight, but I wanted to get the ball rolling. Let me know what about the races made you happy this year!

(By the way, my associate's name isn't secret. I just don't like to speak for other people without their permission.)

Re: What Went Right at Reno?

good spin!
    1-Watching Galloping Ghost race her way into the Gold final was exciting. Jimmy gave us drama by not leaning on her until the final laps of each heat race and when he did the outcome became very obvious.

2-Wondering if Strega would ever miss a beat.

3-Hoping Voodoo would hold together and push Strega.

4-Waiting for Rare Bear to find full power.

5-Attending my first and last Warlock party. (Sad but an honor to take part).

6-Observing RRIII crew removing prop with forklift and nylon webbing.

7-Getting Reno Air Race poster signed by Tiger and Steve, Bob, Will and Kerch and John Penney.

8- Watching a P-38 land early evening.

9-Just hanging out in the paddock (pits) after hours.

10- Hearing and feeling the power of the unlimiteds flying down the VOS from the fence.
    Last edited by Hans Oberev; 10-04-2010, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Best thing that went right was everyone going home with no serious injury.

Love to watch them race, but safety rules

Comment

Sitting in the stands thinking, I LOVE THIS. I have a Leeward signed sketch of Ghost with a Gator in the cockpit, first person to send there address to me gets it. Thanks, KC

Comment

PM Sent

Sully

Comment

Our highlight of the week for us.

At 47, I have never waited in line to get anyone's signiture. I didn't even mind buying a book that I had in the book shelf at home...
            Attached Files

Comment

Good upbeat thread here, MCA!!

Where to start...first, as mentioned, it appears all made it home safe and or the most part, sound. Some on trailers, but nonetheless safe. That's #1.

So, in no particular order:
              Galloping Ghost teasing us. I was on East Start pylon when Jimmy made his qual attempt before pulling up at Outer 4. Other than a couple laps from Strega and Dago, I've never heard (or felt) an in-line go by like that. It was "bleepin" tearin' a hole in the sky! There are still millions of air molecules going, "WTF was THAT?!?!"

Two F7-F's was very cool. Thanks Mr. Lewis!

Watching Kevin Eldridge recover from a catastrophic engine failure and calmly saying over the radio during his downwind (sic), "Don't see that every day." Ice Man.

Watching George "walk away" from his cart wheeling across Rnwy8/26.

Making new contacts in several classes. As usual, virtually every pilot/crewmember was happy to chat and provide access.

Camping on the field (PJ's camping is as close as you can get to the taxi-way on the west end). Great food, drink, friends, and watching a/c come and go until dark.

Waking up at 300am to dash to the Sani-Hut and spending the next 10-145 minutes staring at the desert night sky...watching the Big Dipper traverse the northern ridge line.

Spending 15 minutes chatting with Clay Lacy while the DC-2 prepares to depart from the Heritage ramp. Priceless...

Getting up at 5am to walk the pits in cool, quiet air. The calm before the storm! Love that time of day. Likewise, grabbing the camera gear and walking thru after 1000pm. An uneasy solitude.

Spending Monday after Sunday Gold watching everyone prepare for departure. The sound of aluminum canopy structures clanking against the pavement. Forklifts running to and fro. Trucks and trailers slowing making their way to the gate and motor-home camping areas emptying out...almost like RARA's life blood slowly draining away again. A melancholy morning that tugs at heart strings but one which I treasure every year. I'll never leave Reno on Sunday or Monday AM again.

After almost 10 years of judging, it's become as much a people event for me as it is about machines and speed. I have a difficult time putting it into words but being a part of this incredible event is a spiritual...nay, religious, experience. It's the event by which I judge all others. The week that ends my current calendar and begins the new one.

I know begin the long, long winter of my discontent. Buoyed by the thought that in just 49 weeks, I'll once again be standing with great friends, smelling the hot, sweet aroma of sagebrush and Avgas, anxious to begin again.

Here's to everyone who makes this the spectacle that it is...RARA, owners, pilots, crews, volunteers, fans...Thank you!
              Last edited by Air Boss; 10-04-2010, 10:54 AM.
              Owen Ashurst
              Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
              http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Couple corrections noted...Grrrrr.

Originally posted by Air Judge View Post
                Good upbeat thread here, MCA!!

Where to start...first, as mentioned, it appears all made it home safe and for the most part, sound. Some on trailers, but nonetheless safe. That's #1.

So, in no particular order:
                Galloping Ghost teasing us. I was on East Start pylon when Jimmy made his qual attempt before pulling up at Outer 4. Other than a couple laps from Strega and Dago, I've never heard (or felt) an in-line go by like that. It was "bleepin" tearin' a hole in the sky! There are still millions of air molecules going, "WTF was THAT?!?!"

Two F7-F's was very cool. Thanks Mr. Lewis!

Watching Kevin Eldridge recover from a catastrophic engine failure and calmly saying over the radio during his downwind (sic), "Don't see that every day." Ice Man.

Watching George "walk away" from his cart wheeling across Rnwy8/26.

Making new contacts in several classes. As usual, virtually every pilot/crewmember was happy to chat and provide access.

Camping on the field (PJ's camping is as close as you can get to the taxi-way on the west end). Great food, drink, friends, and watching a/c come and go until dark.

Waking up at 300am to dash to the Sani-Hut and spending the next 10-15 minutes, bundled up, staring at the desert night sky...watching the Big Dipper traverse the northern ridge line.

Spending 15 minutes chatting with Clay Lacy while the DC-2 prepares to depart from the Heritage ramp. Priceless...

Getting up at 5am to walk the pits in cool, quiet air. The calm before the storm! Love that time of day. Likewise, grabbing the camera gear and walking thru after 1000pm. An uneasy solitude.

Spending Monday after Sunday Gold watching everyone prepare for departure. The sound of aluminum canopy structures clanking against the pavement...forklifts running to and fro...trucks and trailers slowing making their way to the gate and motor-home camping areas emptying out...almost like RARA's life blood slowly draining away again. Melancholy Monday Morning that tugs at heart strings but one which I treasure every year. I'll never leave Reno on Sunday or Monday AM again.

After almost 10 years of judging, it's become as much a people event for me as it is about machines and speed. I have a difficult time putting it into words but being a part of this incredible event is a spiritual...nay, religious, experience. It's the event by which I judge all others. The week that ends my current calendar and begins the new one.

I now begin the long, long winter of my discontent. Buoyed by the thought that in just 49 weeks, I'll once again be standing in the desert north of Reno with great friends, smelling the hot, sweet aroma of sagebrush and Avgas, anxious to begin again.

Here's to everyone who makes this the spectacle that it is...RARA, owners, pilots, crews, volunteers, fans...Thank you!
                Owen Ashurst
                Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                http://airbossone.com/

Comment

In short... everything!

Great flying all week...
                  Got to see 2 P-38s and 2 F-7Fs all at the same time...
                  George walked away...
                  T-6 & UL pilots made the right decision...
                  I made money at the crap table...
                  Sky Critter

Comment

Working...
                  X