No announcement yet.

My response to the Jet 1 "controversy".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My response to the Jet 1 "controversy".

I had this long, drawn out answer to reply to the "bashing other's on aviation forums threads", but someone deleted it before I got a chance to reply.

Here is what I wrote:

Originally posted by wolfee
    Ok folks,

We lost a member because he posted something that some saw as "I know something you don't, and I'm not sharing". Then he got bashed for it. Not only here on AAFO, but on WAP. This people is bullsh!t, and should never happen on both forums.
    What is "WAP"? Can someone either post the link or PM it to me, so I can see what the fuss is all about? For the record, it was not me!

I'm sorry that Jet1 couldn't handle the heat. I do enjoy his posts and think he is a valuable contributor. I think he is a little sensitive though to criticism. I know I've been bashed pretty hard in the past, even here on this forum! Healthy debate is, by default, what forums are all about. I don't see a problem with that as long as it doesn't get personal and attack the member. I don't believe I personally attacked Jet1, as I attacked his behavior - the posting of that thread. If Jet1 took it as a personal attack, then I apologize. It was never meant to be that way.

When I wrote the post, I fully expected Jet1 to come back with a reply. If he disagreed with my assessment of his thread, then no problem, let's have a civil debate about the merits of what he wrote. I have seen Jet1 post on other forums and know that he absolutely despises debate and will NOT engage other members. He tends to leave those threads pretty quickly or just not answer.

No problem, as not everybody has good debate skills. I know that in real life, I can NOT win a verbal debate/argument, as I am NOT quick on my feet. I almost always lose, and end up leaving the argument very frustrated, because I am not very articulate in the spoken word. Perhaps, Jet 1 felt the same way here in the written word.

My forte' however, is the written word. I think I am very good at debating "on paper" or in this case, "on the internet". If I have time to gather my thoughts, do a little research, I can usually develop good arguments to support my viewpoint.

I have no doubt that if Jet1 and myself were to debate "one on one", face to face, in real life, he would probably kick my ass and win the argument!

Jet 1, if you are reading this, I apologize if you felt that I attacked you personally. That was not my intention. I guess my response to you was the result of many others' posts prior to yours. I have seen both on this forum as well as other aviation forums, when people will write things like you did - in effect "teasing" others with what they know or don't know. I think the sentiment for that type of attitude just came to a head because people were tired of it. I guess your post "exceeded critical mass", and unfortunately you were the recipient of all the "pent up" frustrations of that type of post. I really don't think that anyone here has anything personally against you - I know I certainly don't! I do still consider you a valuable contributor here and wish you would take that in consideration.

Many here are not aware that Jet 1 is a former Marine fighter pilot who is a Veteran of South East Asia. Jet 1, I applaud you, and thank you for your service and keeping us free. Please, come back and "stand tough". It is not the Marine way to run away from conflict and not stand up for yourself. If you thought I was full of sh1t, then let me know why you thought that!

Jet1, if I ever saw you in real life, I would buy you a beer!

Re: My response to the Jet 1 "controversy".

For the record, I deleted the other threads because, by nature, those sorts of threads spin out of control and the spiral had begun..

PLEASE... if we're going to talk about being too critical of one's posts, let's keep in the abstract if possible.

The "rules of engagement" here have always been very high on the side of keep it nice.. they are still in place..
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by dvddude View Post
      Jet1, if I ever saw you in real life, I would buy you a beer!
      Just "a" beer, former Marine figher pilot with combat experience.... I'd buy him all he wanted!

Seriously, folks that participate in forums should realize the posts are not the person. That goes for both sides. It's a real problem anytime written communication replaces good old fashion face to face. One persons attempt to make a point can turn into another's personal attack or flame. I've even found smileys can set some folks off.

Sometimes you just have to wonder how this silly intertube thing ever caught on!

Spacegrrrl

Comment

I had not seen Jet's goodbye post in a couple of days and now it's gone?

What is this provocative "spiral out of control" you speak of Wayne? So dangerous that the post is deleted? What if Jet did not get to see it?

Forgive my intrusiveness if somehow the thread got ugly with hate somehow, but all I saw was love two days ago.

Hmmmmm.
        '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Working...
        X