Newbie questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie questions!

I'm fairly new to following the races so sorry if this is totall a newbie question. Do the planes that race at Reno race anywhere else? I know they used to fly at Mohave but do they still? I would love to spend a week of vacation at Reno but would be easier get to if they raced up here in the Northwest.
    Also, I've been watching some of the Red Bull races lately - besides the actual type of race (individual planes vs multi plane race, racing though multiple pylons, etc...), how are planes different?
    Thanks!

Chad
    Last edited by ChadK; 09-29-2010, 09:09 PM.

Re: Newbie questions!

Reno is the only game in town for REAL BIG IRON AIRRACING!
    Sad but oh so true.
    Don't get me wrong now.I enjoy the other class of air racers.But.............
    It's the Unlimiteds I want to see.Unfortunatly for us all it's but just once a year.

Brian (B2)

Comment

That's too bad. Whatever happened to the Mohave race? My step-father was involved "back in the day" so spent several weeks attending Reno and Mohave races (at least that's what I remember) back in the mid 70's.
      Thanks Brian!

Chad

Comment

Hmmmmmmmm, Northwest.......Reno. Lets see that is pretty much the northwest to me .I have to travel from the Southeast all the way out there.

Comment

Originally posted by ChadK View Post
          I'm fairly new to following the races so sorry if this is totall a newbie question. Do the planes that race at Reno race anywhere else? I know they used to fly at Mohave but do they still? I would love to spend a week of vacation at Reno but would be easier get to if they raced up here in the Northwest.
          Also, I've been watching some of the Red Bull races lately - besides the actual type of race (individual planes vs multi plane race, racing though multiple pylons, etc...), how are planes different?
          Thanks!

Chad
          Chad,
          The Red Bull racers are small aerobatic aircraft such as Edge 540s and what-not. I might be a little out of date about that particular type of aircraft, but I think you get my point: they're aerobatic aircraft.

At Reno, the only pylon racing in the world (as far as I know), there are a number of different classes of racers. In no particular order, there are Biplane, Formula 1, Sport, Super Sport, Jet, T-6, and Unlimited classes of aircraft. Each class has it's own aircraft requirements and race course. For a good overview of each class, I'd recommend visiting the RARA website, www.airrace.org. If you copy/paste or click this link, it'll take you right to the class overview: http://www.airrace.org/racingClasses.php

Glad to have you on board! You'll find a wealth of knowledge (not necessarily from me, but from others) on this message board. Many of us use this site and others to keep our hearts beating between Septembers.

I live in Salt Lake and it's a solid 6-7 hour drive to get to Reno. Not sure where you live in the Northwest, but I highly recommend the trip. It'll change your life.

Comment

Guess I should have been more specific about where I live! I live in the extreme northwest of our great country - a medium sized city north of Seattle called Bellingham. Our claim to fame is our local snowboarding at Mt. Baker which is considered the best in the country!
            Unfortunately we don't have any air races up here! We do have an annual air show which usually features P-51's which are awesome to watch!
            I will have to plan for a trip to Reno one year soon. Next year is Europe but after that....!! Gotta try to get my wife and kids interested though!

Comment

Go visit the museum there on the field and get acquainted with the Anders boys, whose Dad Bill raced at Reno for a few years.

Drop down to Paine Field and see the other collections.

Go to the Arlington Flly-in and Airshow in July.

You have so-o-o-o many examples of Warbirds in your own backyard!

You are also welcome to attend the Cascade Warbird Sq. meetings on the second Sat of the month, Oct though March at either the MOF or John Sessions collection. The CWB also purchase 2 or 3 boxes at the Reno races every year. Come join us.
              Betty Sherman

Comment

Originally posted by ChadK View Post
                Next year is Europe but after that....!! Gotta try to get my wife and kids interested though!
                Cancel Europe, it will ALWAYS be there and schedule in RENO. Bring bikes for all, stay in hotels, camp or RV. Bring lots of food, beverages, clothing for hot sun 70-100 or potentially cold 40-50 degrees or anything in between. Take pictures of the kids in front of each plane and get them to understand the different classes, speeds, courses...The kids will adapt easily. The wife will be a different matter. Arrive the Saturday, Sunday prior to, see the Balloon Races at sunrise, head over to Stead and see who's arriving and watch them build the pit area...and things start happening real quick and it's over in one week. It's sort of an endurance event, but if you want to see what's happening, you must be there.

Comment

We rented a motorhome and camped at the field this year. The whole family had a great time. If you go to a local airshow and see a P-51 it is a treat, but the difference in the sound of the gold unlimited P-51's and a stocker is awesome. It is the same difference in going to your local auto short track and hearing the bomber class vs. whatever the top class is.

As for timing the one thing that really got me thinking this year is in the 70's and 80's it seems there were medium sized business men that could bring a plane to Reno. Now there are only REALLY good business men bringing planes to Reno. Just like everything else the prices for these planes is making it harder and harder to justify. At some point we lose racers thru lack of parts or lack of funds. We plan on going as often as we can, until ??? No planes?? Population over runs the course ??? Government doesn't want old Warbirds in the air ???

There is only one reason to have the race, but plenty to stop it. All good things come to an end. I hope that end is never, but the first time my Wife came out to see the races I used the "Someday we won't have the races to go to, if we want to".

Comment

Just spoke with a cousin who is also into air racing. He has been wanting to go for years so we made tentative plans to go to Reno year after next. He also loves the old warbirds.

Comment

I live just north of you across the border. We go to Reno every year. It's like oxygen - we can't live without it. You can do Reno surprisingly cheaply, even if you have to stay in a hotel.

And don't forget the Abbotsford airshow.

Comment

I didn't know about the Abbotsford show! I'll definately look it up!
                        I am hoping that by the time I get to Reno, Tsunami will be rebuilt and racing. My stepfather built the airframe for Tsunami and I would love to see her racing again!

Comment

Working...
                        X