Cherry Bomb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cherry Bomb?

I spotted a red P-51 at the Great Falls, MT airport called "cherry bomb" that had the look of a racer, but I can't find any info on it at all. Anyone know anything about it? Thanks!

Re: Cherry Bomb?

Maybe a new owner/paint-job. I see no mention of a P-51 by that name on the web (it always pays to get the N number).

Did you see a race number on the side? If not, then I doubt it's a racer.

Comment

It was #4. I realize thats taken currently by Polar Bear, but I'm guessing the last time it was active would have been before 1995 (when I started paying attention).

I couldn't see the N number from the fence...you know how they make them really small sometimes. I've run a search every way I can but I can't seem to find anything about it. Just wondering if anyone had firsthand knowledge. Thanks!

Comment

Capjessop,

Could you tell if it had a race canopy and turtledeck on it?

Dave
        Dave

Comment

Could it be the old Cloud Dancer? Didn't get to sold to someone up in that neck of the woods?

Comment

Didn't have a race canopy like strega/voodoo/gg...looked more like a d model, but I'm not sure if it was original.

Comment

If you're still in the area, and it's still at the airport, snap a pic of it and post here for a little more to go on. Might help some
              Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
              My Photos
              My Ride

Comment

Originally posted by eric 120 View Post
                Could it be the old Cloud Dancer? Didn't get to sold to someone up in that neck of the woods?
                Thats very possible. The new owners of former "Cloud Dancer" are based in Sidney, MT. About 400 miles from Great Falls.
                Remember: No drinking within 50 feet of the aircraft, and no smoking within 8 hours!

Comment

#4? Uhhh.....Dago? Maybe some of the pieces escaped.

Comment

I'm so glad someone else has seen this airplane I've been searching and searching for info on this, I saw a red p-51 with a large #4 on the tail in Jamestown, ND in April of 2010. Looked very much like a race plane. I could not make out the name, but Cherry Bomb would definitely fit from what i could see. I was hoping to see it in Reno this year, but it was not there and nobody new a thing about it, other than "it could probably be Cloud Dancer" anymore info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark.

Comment

My buddy showed me this on Dago Red's Wikipedia page:

"Frank Taylor is currently preparing Dago Red to break the world record in the 3 km, in mid-2010. Along with Dago Red, Frank Taylor is thought to be preparing another race p-51 named "Cherry Bomb" based out of Sidney, MT."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dago_Red

Comment

someone in the area PLEASE take pix...i am dying over here!

Comment

This whole thread is just Bull Sh!t unless someone posts a pic...
                          Last edited by Victor Archer; 10-11-2010, 06:36 PM. Reason: I thought the "B" in Bull Sh!t needed to be in Caps!
                          http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                          http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Former "Cloud Dancer" is owned by Phil Peitrik out of Sidney, MT (SDY). Last time I saw the plane it was bare aluminum, about six months ago. Who is Frank Taylor? Former racer, aircraft modifier extrodinare?

Heres some pics from about six months ago.
                            Attached Files
                            Remember: No drinking within 50 feet of the aircraft, and no smoking within 8 hours!

Comment

Originally posted by steak_pilot View Post
                              Who is Frank Taylor? Former racer, aircraft modifier extrodinare?
                              Frank Taylor is the guy who ponied up the bucks in the winter of 1981 to have Tiger Destefani build Dago Red. In 1982, after winning at Reno, he bought out his partnership with Tiger and was the sole owner of Dago Red from '83-'86. He is the current holder of the 15km speed record at 517 mph, set at Mojave in 1983. Taylor also owned a Top Fuel dragster that ran on the NHRA circuit for a few years, winning a few races and setting some speed records at the same time.

Due to some personal issues, the aircraft ownership was transferred to Alan Preston in 1986....but for many years Taylor had been trying to buy Dago Red back. In 2009 he and a group of partners purchased Dago Red from the Costo family, disassembled the airframe at Chino for inspection and repair, with the intent of rebuilding it and going after the 3km speed record currently held by Lyle Shelton...then donating the racer to the Smithsonian.

Unfortunately, the prior owners of Dago Red failed to pay off the original loan for Dago Red, and it was repossessed by the bank...essentially taking it away from Taylor and his group.

That is who Frank Taylor is.

Comment

Working...
                              X