Wally McDonnell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wally McDonnell

I heard that long-time Mojave tenant "One-eyed" Wally McDonnell passed away the other day from a heart attack. Wally raced a handful of A-26 Invaders and a couple of P-51's during the 1970's at Mojave, as well as owned and raced the Sea Fury "Notso Furias" in the mid-1980's (unfortunately, this beautiful plane was destroyed in a hangar fire in 1988).

One of a kind.

BCIV and I were musing while racing today that 2010 has been pretty rough on the 'old guard'.

Fair winds, Wally....

Re: Wally McDonnell

here is his sea fury Bakersfield 1985. Shawn
    Attached Files

Comment

And his B-26k at Travis in the 70's.
      Attached Files
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

is that the Mojave kid, Shawn

my dad has a pic of the sea fury out on a pylon with smoke comming out from the centurus.

Comment

The A-26K.....the 'de-militarized' A-26K.

So just how 'de-miltarized' WAS that A-26K, Wally???

Comment

After his Mojave days he moved his operation to California City. I spent a memorable afternoon in his office interviewing him there in 1992. He was a great guy and quite a character. I can't even remember if I called ahead or just turned up...Come to think of it I went to Edwards to see off the last of the F4's at the test pilot school, then just went to see Wally, and he let me interview him. That was totally cool! He had tons of great stories to tell!

Comment

Wally McDonnell

Met Wally, as I recall, at Minter Field in 1994. Great guy ...

Comment

Wally was my maternal uncle... I knew he was well known and respected in aviation cirlces, and it is heart-warming to see these kind remarks about him... yes, he had a heart attack... went to the hospital complaining of severe chest pain, doctor told him it was the flu and to go home... i have a lot of respect for doctors and medical science, but there seems to be no dearth of such stories...

Comment

Working...
                X