Future for the Bear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future for the Bear?

I was told by one of the former crew members that, once the aircraft that was in the hangar behind the Bear was finished, Rod was going to give Race 77 to the Smithsonian for display. Anyone else hear this?

I didn't get the guys name, but we talked for several minutes. We gleaned several bits of interesting information about the old teams "firing", and about a couple of the new team leaders - none of which were positive.

I took what I was told with a grain of salt, but we stood there for a while and watched the goings - on in the hangar and I could definitely see some of said crew leader's traits coming out. Also, the guy was the first to tell me that Mr. Cornell was leaving, lending more credibility to what he told us.

I asked him about Mel, too. We didn't see him around the hangar or pits so we were worried that his health may be going downhill - after all he is 94 this year! My brother and I love Mel - every year he would remember us and we'd talk for 15 - 20 minutes. Found out he "was not invited back"!

I'm sorry, but I'm having a difficult time maintaining my long-time allegiance with Rare Bear. I will ALWAYS love the aircraft itself, and I'll be there cheering on Sunday when (and if) she flys. I know where she came from, and I know who got her where she is today. Thanks to Rod for maintaining what Lyle built, even if I don't agree with the way things are going.

I'll always be a round motor fan, but for next year I think I'll become a Ghost hunter while keeping a watchful eye on the Bear.

Tom

...."a former crew member"

....is about as reliable as a fish riding a bicycle....

Comment

Re: Future for the Bear?

Refresh my memory, what was the "airplane behind the Bear"? Even though I was there, I couldn't get close enough to the hangar to get a good look due to everything being roped off 50 feet away.

Also, did you get any confirmation on John Penney's status on the team?

Comment

That would be american spirit.

Normally I would hotlink an image here, but I guess you are going to have to Google it yourself

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
          That would be american spirit.

Normally I would hotlink an image here, but I guess you are going to have to Google it yourself
          That's all right, I'm very familiar with American Spirit.

Thanks.

Comment

Re: ...."a former crew member"

Originally posted by JET1 View Post
            ....is about as reliable as a fish riding a bicycle....
            As a person that is attempting to train fish to ride bicycles I find this very offensive!

Actually, I had heard rumors of the Bear being destin for the Smithsonian. I wish I could remember who mentioned it, could be I'm just repeating what I've read here.

Isn't Conquest 1 there already? Would be interesting to see both Bearcats on display side by side. Preferablly after another decade of Bear racing.

It would be great of someone could confirm the team shuffle.

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Originally posted by bulldawg66 View Post
              I asked him about Mel, too. We didn't see him around the hangar or pits so we were worried that his health may be going downhill - after all he is 94 this year! My brother and I love Mel - every year he would remember us and we'd talk for 15 - 20 minutes. Found out he "was not invited back"!

Tom
              I spoke with Mel 3 days before Reno, called him every evening after each race day to update him, and called him last week. Mel has had 2 minor strokes, very weak but is in good spirits and recovering well. Still sharp as can be. He missed not being in Reno but says living on a fixed income he couldn't afford to come on his own. The Team used to provide for him, but no longer. I and others plan to pitch in next year to get him here and provide a room for him if his health allows. It upsets me more than I can tell you here that he wasn't allowed to remain an honorary team member until his passing. It was his life.

Cloudchaser

Comment

Originally posted by spacegrrrl View Post

Actually, I had heard rumors of the Bear being destin for the Smithsonian. I wish I could remember who mentioned it, could be I'm just repeating what I've read here.

Isn't Conquest 1 there already? Would be interesting to see both Bearcats on display side by side. Preferablly after another decade of Bear racing.
                Conquest is at the Udvar Hazy annex of the Smithsonian and looks great in the 1970's yellow Eagle paint scheme. The John Sharp Formula 1 "Nemesis" is there also. If you get a chance to visit I don't think you will be disappointed.
                Last edited by John; 09-25-2010, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cloudchaser427 View Post
                  It upsets me more than I can tell you here that he wasn't allowed to remain an honorary team member until his passing. It was his life
                  If I could get an email to Rod that was not intercepted by his handlers... I could probably find out if he knows or cares about this.. sadly... they are intercepted... This message will probably get me "fired" from being the web host for the site rarebear.com but at this point...

**sigh**
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

"IF" the Bear is retired (DON"T DO IT!!!) PLEASE go back to the Gold or Brown paint scheme and put the three blade prop back on...
                    http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                    http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Originally posted by spacegrrrl View Post
                      It would be great of someone could confirm the team shuffle.
                      This year, it took until just before RENO to confirm the identity of the new team.. I suspect, you'll find the same for next year's identity..

Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

if you are going to retire rarebear,another F8F should be purchased,setup the same and become rarebear II.anyway,the mustangs could use the competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang1957 View Post
                          anyway,the mustangs could use the competition.
                          Mustangs could use the fodder. Horses eat fodder.

Just stirring the pot away from unpleasant thoughts of no bears for the horses to play with...

Comment

Well I have heard the same thing as we frequent Stead from time to time. Was told that they want one more gold win, then speed records, then of to the museum for the Bear. Would not surprise me given Rod is on the board at the air and space museum.

I have been a fan for the last 29 years, but it just does not feel like home anymore. Granted I was spoiled, they used to sneak me in the pits saying I was Lyle's son, but I guess all good things must come to an end. I will never lose my love for the airplane and the men that built her to what she is today, and I wish Rod the best, but sadly all good things must come to an end.

FYI, if anyone knows Bill Hinkle please tell him I missed our racing conversations this year.

Guess all that is left is to start a Ghost wing in my house and move on

David

Comment

The museum HAS a record-breaking Bearcat racer already. If a famous Reno air racer was to go there next, it should be Dago Red.

D.R. is very famous...nearly every kid/adult who was into R.C. aircraft during the last 25 years knows of the plane whether they've been to Stead or not, and I think it would look awesome hanging up there near CONQUEST in a perpetual lefty.

Yeah, I know. I'd prefer to see Dago back running 'round the pylons again too, but that may never happen and a little care and loving by "The Smith" folk would be far better than the place and condition it is sitting in now, true?

The lesser of two evils, if you will.

Comment

Working...
                              X