Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What were the Winnings $$$ for the different classes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What were the Winnings $$$ for the different classes?

Anyone know what the winnings were or a link for the different classes?

Re: What were the Winnings $$$ for the different classes?

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
    Anyone know what the winnings were or a link for the different classes?
    They stopped publishing winnings (purse) a few years ago. One can only guess.

Comment

Low, low, and lower.

Comment

I guess they don't want the general public to know or discuss this topic. Anyone know why?

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
          I guess they don't want the general public to know or discuss this topic. Anyone know why?
          I don't know why. It use to be in the 2004 program guide, and earlier years.

I can tell you that someone placing 4th in Formula will win enough money to support their crews drinking binge during race week.

Comment

I've heard it is extremely low. An Unlimited owner told me that even if you win the Gold, it is not enough to break even, especially if you blow an engine. As of about 10 years ago, insurance alone for 1 Unlimited race pilot was about $ 25,000 for the race. This is not a sport to get rich or make money, it's strictly for fun and bragging rights. There's a reason that the Unlimiteds at Reno are only raced by multi-millionaires. Like it or not, this sport depends heavily on fan and sponsor support. It is nothing like NASCAR and can't generate that kind of revenue. You ask the average person on the streets who their favorite air racer is and you will get that "deer in the headlights" look. Unfortunately, most of the general public either is not aware of the races at Reno or doesn't care. I hope that changes over time.

Comment

First year I went was........I believe 1968 and the purse was $25,000........that was the total purse for all classes.
              Brian

Comment

Originally posted by dvddude View Post
                There's a reason that the Unlimiteds at Reno are only raced by multi-millionaires.
                Nit picking a little... not all Unlimited owners/drivers fit that category. Some are on just as much a shoe string budget as the rest of us.
                Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                My Photos
                My Ride

Comment

This is what I found, looks like individual classes determine distribution.
                  I know a few years back, unlimited was $160k, and winning it several years in a row i'm sure reduce the amount of red ink in the books.

2008 Payout by day

2008 Purse Distribution
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Page 29
                  29The Purse will constitute the total amount of dollars allocated to the Event for 2008 anddistributed to each race class for Prize Money and Class Expenses. The Total purse for2008 is $1,105,000.Purse Funding:
                  Wednesday: Each Race Class Purse will be funded at the start of eachrace, within the class, in an amount equal to the approvedallocation for the Race Class categories competing onWednesday. The total funding for the day will not exceed the$110,500 allocated for the day.

Thursday: Each Race Class Purse will be funded at the start of eachrace, within the class, in an amount equal to the approvedallocation for the Race Class categories competing onWednesday. The total funding for the day will not exceed the$165,750 allocated for the day.

Friday:Each Race Class Purse will be funded at the start of eachrace, within the class, in an amount equal to the approvedallocation for the Race Class categories competing onWednesday. The total funding for the day will not exceed the$ 221,000 allocated for the day.

Saturday: Each Race Class Purse will be funded at the start of eachrace, within the class, in an amount equal to the approvedallocation for the Race Class categories competing onWednesday. The total funding for the day will not exceed the$ 276,250 allocated for the day.
                  Sunday:Each Race Class Purse will be funded at the start of eachrace, within the class, in an amount equal to the approvedallocation for the Race Class categories competing onWednesday. The total funding for the day will not exceed the$ 331,500 allocated for the day.

The Race Class will provide RARA with either an individual pay out schedule with an amountdue the Class or an invoice for the total Class Purse. The individual checks will be handed to thewinners during the Awards Ceremony and checks for the Race Class will be presented to theClass Representative during the Awards Ceremony for the Class.RARA will make every attempt to make the checks payable as directed by the Class or the RaceContestant. All IRS 1099 forms will be issued to the payee on the check and thus it is theresponsibility of the Recipient to insure it is directed correctly prior to it being cashed.E.Special Prizes: Special Prizes may, from time to time, be offered thru RARA by
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE RACE CLASS shall provide RARA with either an individual pay out schedule with the
                  amount due the Class Participants or an invoice for the total Class Purse based upon a full
                  field of racers or based on the actual number of racers that qualified. The individual checks
                  will be handed out to the contestants during the Awards Ceremony and checks for the Race
                  Class will be presented to the Class Representative during the Awards Ceremony for that
                  Class.
                  RARA will make every effort to make the checks payable as directed by the Class or the
                  Race Contestant. All IRS 1099 forms will be issued to the payee on the check and thus it is
                  the responsibility of the recipient to ensure it is correct prior to it being cashed.
                  SPECIAL prizes may from time to time be offered through RARA by specific sponsors.
                  Rules governing these prizes will be distributed prior to the races in accordance with RARA
                  rules.
                  Last edited by Arctic Cat; 09-23-2010, 09:51 PM. Reason: found 2008 amounts

Comment

1st year I spent just over $30.000 for a new motor (we built it) wrist bands for the crew, entry fees, race insurance, banquet tickets, food and hotels for the crew. The following year about $18000 was spent on electronics, airframe mods and the rest of it (crew paid hotel). The next year another $15000 was spent on a new cowl, new prop and additional engine mods and all the rest. In 2009 additional engine mods and some airframe stuff plus the entry costs ran about $10000 total for the year, not bad. My crew has also invested their own funds and time in many ways over the 4 years we raced the biplane, DragRacer. To say what I have spent is peanuts compared to what my neighbor pays to race unlimited is a huge understatement.
                    For what it's worth, 3rd in the biplane gold pays approximately $2800. Biplanes and F1 each get a total purse of $50.000 (for 24 entries) to pay out to their respective class. The biplane group spreads the wealth across the group where the F1 pays more from the top down.

Dennis, former #25

Comment

You're bucks up, Dennis.
                      I went by myself in '98, I cut off a Sensenich to 70 inches with a die grinder, re-timed the mags until they hit the mount tubes and installed a ram air intake. 500 bucks for hotels and expenses, 150 for a rental car for the week, 600 for race insurance, and I was last in the Silver making 1800 bucks.
                      '99 was much more expensive as I bought a new airplane, new ignition harness on site, two sets of plugs, had a girlfriend, and an emergency landing on the way home spending the night in Mammoth. Was fined 200 bucks for low flying and moved from the pole to the back row for the final, so was last place in the Silver again.
                      After seeing the potential of Class and Contest Commitee politics on real life, I went back to flying model airplanes, my professional career necessitates I retain my certificates.
                      Chris...

Comment

They race biplanes?

Originally posted by shorebird View Post
                        1st year I spent just over $30.000 for a new motor (we built it) wrist bands for the crew, entry fees, race insurance, banquet tickets, food and hotels for the crew. The following year about $18000 was spent on electronics, airframe mods and the rest of it (crew paid hotel). The next year another $15000 was spent on a new cowl, new prop and additional engine mods and all the rest. In 2009 additional engine mods and some airframe stuff plus the entry costs ran about $10000 total for the year, not bad. My crew has also invested their own funds and time in many ways over the 4 years we raced the biplane, DragRacer. To say what I have spent is peanuts compared to what my neighbor pays to race unlimited is a huge understatement.
                        For what it's worth, 3rd in the biplane gold pays approximately $2800. Biplanes and F1 each get a total purse of $50.000 (for 24 entries) to pay out to their respective class. The biplane group spreads the wealth across the group where the F1 pays more from the top down.

Dennis, former #25

Comment

Only in the mornings, the drunks never see them.

Comment

WINNINGS???? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

.....hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha..........b ig breath........hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.......h e said winnings......big breath.....hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha........

Comment

Originally posted by stuntflyr View Post
                              Only in the mornings, the drunks never see them.

Comment

Working...
                              X