Bird strike, sport mayday (funny).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bird strike, sport mayday (funny).

In all the goings on Sunday I all most forgot all about this one, and not seen it posted yet.

Saturdays sport gold heat (I think it was, please correct if I have the wrong day/race) Dave Morss called a mayday after crossing the finish line while pulling up in to the cool down. He landed safely no issues.

Race control called the safety team to for an update and to see if 2-6 could be reopened. The reply from the safety was a small ding on the prop from a bird strike, and that the A/C was clear of the run way. I *think* it was Dave Mross that keyed in and said "small ding on the prop, 1 totaled bird"

I laughed really hard sitting there in the stands with people all around me looking at me wondering what the hell I was going on about.

Re: Bird strike, sport mayday (funny).

Originally posted by wolfee View Post
    (...) I laughed really hard (...).
    Birdstrikes a not funny. They can be really dangerous not only for
    the birds, but for pilots too. And I hope the words of the pilot weren't
    as funny, as you thought.

Killing a wonderful individual in its natural habitat should make one
    feel very sorry. A little more respect for our flying friends, please.
    Not to mention the more or less costly damage to the plane.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with the quoted pilots wording,
    as long es he wasn't laughing out loud about them himself.
    If it was Dave Morss, I'm pretty sure, he respects or even admires
    birds (didn't ask him), but since he also flies gliders and it is a wonderful
    thing to fly in thermals together with (and sometimes pretty near to)
    big birds, I don't have a doubt. Hope you will make that experience one
    day yourself
    Jan

http://www.AirRace.info = http://www.airrace.de

Comment

Jan... from Germany... Are you for real? Birds aren't equal to Humans. Your post makes one to believe that you are more concerned about wildlife than you are for human life...which is just plain wrong.
      Funny or not, I'am glad the Mr. Morss was able to land safely.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
        Killing a wonderful individual in its natural habitat should make one feel very sorry. A little more respect for our flying friends, please.
        That's pretty funny.

Comment

This thread just turned hilarious!

Jarrod

Comment

I was referring to the comment as funny.

Bird strikes are not, and are down right dangerous. there is nothing funny about that.

Comment

Originally posted by mailman77327 View Post
              Jan... from Germany... Are you for real? Birds aren't equal to Humans. Your post makes one to believe that you are more concerned about wildlife than you are for human life...which is just plain wrong.
              Funny or not, I'am glad the Mr. Morss was able to land safely.

All life is precious.

It doesn't sound like he thinks the lives of other living things are MORE important than people. He says they are equal. Jan is correct. We ALL have an equal right to exist and live out our lives, and it's sad when those lives are cut short.

No, I find nothing funny about an animal or bird dying either, nor a man's life being placed in danger due to the unfortunate event. THAT'S for real. Kudos to you Jan.

But yeah, Dave's remark was humorous. Perhaps the thread could have been better titled.
              Last edited by AirDOGGe; 09-22-2010, 08:33 AM.

Comment

back in 1982 Skip Holm Had a bird strick in a p-51 B Shawn.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
                  All life is precious.

It doesn't sound like he thinks the lives of other living things are MORE important than people. He says they are equal. Jan is correct. We ALL have an equal right to exist and live out our lives, and it's sad when those lives are cut short.

No, I find nothing funny about an animal or bird dying either, nor a man's life being placed in danger due to the unfortunate event. THAT'S for real. Kudos to you Jan.

But yeah, Dave's remark was humorous. Perhaps the thread could have been better titled.
                  I agree with Airdogge.

It is not always avoidable to hit snails, hedgehogs, rats and mice when you driving a car. I recently lost a relative when he collided with a moose few years back ( girl next seat suffered no injury ).

Sully hit a flock of geese..and performed a miracle on Hudson.

Furthermore I once pedalled 320 km with a bicycle and I saw insane amount of dead animals on the road side of a busy "interstate" here. Rabbits and big birds etc were victims of a very dense trafic.

I recall a Hawk jet here got a big bird hit and plane was full of feathers as it landed..it came right through the nose section of the aluminium fuselage at high speed ( a seagull ).

Eyes open !
                  http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                    Killing a wonderful individual in its natural habitat should make one feel very sorry. A little more respect for our flying friends, please.

:
                    Does that also extend to the turkey buzzard that Dick Sykes hit one year? I'm not sure turkey buzzard and 'wonderful individual' both apply here. Or to our more ground-bound friends like the jack rabbit Skip hit in Jeannie?

If yer gonna love all God's creatures...love them all. Even Air Force pilots.

Comment

Especially a certain Airforce pilot who shall remain nameless.

Comment

GAAHH!! BUFFOONERY!
                        "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Now, if a plane were struck by this bird, it would really be something to write home about:

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
                            All life is precious.

Yeah... I try and remeber all that when Im out dove hunting in East Texas.

Comment

I thought Silly Season was supposed to be the weeks leading up to the races, not the week after...

Spotted Owls don't really taste like chicken, just saying...
                              Sky Critter

Comment

Working...
                              X