Mixing the slow with the fastest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing the slow with the fastest?

I wonder about the safety aspect of mixing the slow birds at 350-400mph, like the F7F’s and Merlin’s Magic, Miss A, etc….(no offense, my plane does 100mph) with the bad boys doing 500mph?

While safety is always first, lapping also takes time and a wider line.

Isn’t it the goal of breaking the classes into medal groups to keep planes of the same relative speeds racing together?

I guess RARA tried to address the issue with the “Super Gold” class awhile back when there were more mod’ed Unlimited’s? But now…..hot birds are scarce. I don’t know, is this an issue? Or is my overactive brain overthinking it? Personally I don’t want to see the slower planes get lapped twice in a medal race.

'71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Re: Mixing the slow with the fastest?

It be tough to do. Just about every class has superfast planes compared to the others. (I.E. Viper (Jet), Phantom (Biplane), Nemesis (SS).

I don't know what they could really do different.
    Last edited by boom3; 09-21-2010, 07:15 AM.
    Jeff

Comment

I was concerned about this as well. I was thinking that if anything it would allow someone to win on skill as passing someone who is running into traffic is a bit easier then passing someone with empty air in front of them. I guess we will never know.

Comment

It be tough to do. Just about every class has superfast planes compared to the others. (I.E. Viper (Jet), Phantom (Biplane), Nemesis (SS).

I don't know what they could really do different.

Well, thats a bit different, we call it the Nemesis syndrome. Utter domination of a class like Jon did with the F1's, Tom does in bi-planes with the insane Phantom. One plane that wins year after year by outlassing the class. Simply no way to avoid mixing slower planes in those class's Gold races.

But Unlimiteds? I would argue all four top birds this year had a chance to do 500mph laps down to a photo finish.

Oh God, it's going to be a long off season.
        '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Unable to attend this year, I was wondering more about the start of the gold heats and particularly, the gold final. It would seem to me that either Steve Hinton would have go slower coming down the chute, which I doubt the top runners or the fans would favor, or have essentially have a second group of racers trailing far behind Strega, Voodoo and the Bear when he turned them loose.

Comment

Working...
          X