John Parker and Thunder Mustang II?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Parker and Thunder Mustang II?

Forgive me guys if I missed the update somewhere in the threads, but I haven't heard anything about Parker's Thunder Mustang and how he's doing. Does anybody have any news? Again forgive me if I missed something concerning him being out for some reason.

Also, please guys, keep those of us who can't make it to Reno this year, updated! I keep checking these threads like every 5 minutes I think, in the hopes of learning about what is happening on the course!

Thanks everybody!

Re: John Parker and Thunder Mustang II?

I was wondering the same thing about Blue II. There hasn't been much info going out over the web at all this year. At least the real time results on the RARA sight are working well.

I did see the first two unlimited heats from a distance today. The ghost appeared to be just cruising durring his heat win. The gear door problem seems to be fixed but who knows? Anybody have any info on that?

It was really unusual to not see any Sea Furies or Pardue's Bear Cat in the silver. The Tiger Cats were really moving out, but it's pretty apparent the field is a little thin this year. Not to complain though, it's still Reno, and thanks to all who make the effort to compete.

Heading out now to watch the Friday gold heats, and will be in the pits tommorrow all day. If I see or hear anything unusual I'll post it.

Comment

JP and Blue II are hanging in there. We had issues with the race motor early in the week and we are now running the stock engine. Qualified 3rd and finished Thursday in 3rd (see a pattern?).

George Giboney and Rapid Travel are also doing well. Chasing a few gremlins.

And since a question was asked about the Ghost gear, they are still working on it. During the race today the pocket doors were open a bit and they are aware of the issue.

Must go now to watch the Super Sports. Take care.
      Last edited by W J Pearce; 09-17-2010, 02:39 PM.
      Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
      Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

A quick update to what Bill posted...
        Today (Friday) John Parker in Blue Thunder II placed 3rd once again. That's 3 three's now. There was one pylon cut, pylon 1 on lap 2, but even if that had not happened we still would have crossed the finish line in 3rd. At least we're consistent.

George Giboney in Rapid Travel 2.0 crossed the finish line at 373.733 MPH, good enough to put him out front and win his crew a ride on the fire truck.
        Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
        My Photos
        My Ride

Comment

After finsihing first in today's gold heat, George Giboney cleared the course and immediately declared a mayday. Successful landing on Rwy 14. No smoke or oil noted.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyracer View Post
            After finsihing first in today's gold heat, George Giboney cleared the course and immediately declared a mayday. Successful landing on Rwy 14. No smoke or oil noted.
            Yesterday evening, a crew member told me they've been chasing a couple of oil leaks this week. Don't know if that had anything to do with today's mayday.
            Sky Critter

Comment

I noticed some oil running down the inside of the gear door when they towed her back to the pits. Don't know if that is serious.

Comment

It's nice just to see Blue II out on the course. You gotta love the sport to come back after a setback like that.

The airplane sounds pretty strong if that's a stock engine. Is there a good knowlege base for building a race Faconer engine or are the Thunder Mustang teams in uncharted territory with their mods? How does a race prepared Falconer compare to what the NXTs are running?

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce View Post
                  JP and Blue II are hanging in there. We had issues with the race motor early in the week and we are now running the stock engine. Qualified 3rd and finished Thursday in 3rd (see a pattern?).

George Giboney and Rapid Travel are also doing well. Chasing a few gremlins.

And since a question was asked about the Ghost gear, they are still working on it. During the race today the pocket doors were open a bit and they are aware of the issue.

Must go now to watch the Super Sports. Take care.
                  yeah, I saw the issues in the form of two holes in the side of the engine

Comment

George Giboney and the Rapid Travel crew have worked on their engine issues during the night. They are in the final stages of putting it back together. However, I have just heard that there is another, non-engine issue. I will update when/if I can.

The current engine in Blue II is the same one that we ran last year, set the 100k record in Marysville, went to OSH and back. I would not say that race engines are uncharted territory. There was a system failure that resulted in a lean condition which damaged the race engine, as noted above.

Thank you all for your support and encouragement.
                    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

Good luck! Keep up the hard work! Sounds good out there on the course!
                      _________
                      -Matt
                      Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

BT II finished 2nd so the cycle is broken, at least for now.

As I reported this morning, Rapid Travel had another issue which was its radiator. A new one was flown in from OR and switched out. The plane just under went a test run and all looked good (flashlights are awesome). It did not compete in today's (Sat) race but should be back tomorrow.

By the way, whiskey and ice cream go really well together. I suggest you try it. You can thank me later!
                        Last edited by W J Pearce; 09-18-2010, 09:11 PM.
                        Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

Hello Race fans,

Rapid Travel was airbore this AM and all appears well. Blue II is ready too and we will give it all we've got...... and probably a little bit more.

Stay fast friends!
                          Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

Working...
                          X