Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

grandstand seats & those who try to save them from Sat.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grandstand seats & those who try to save them from Sat.

Really looking foward to my 34th yr @ Reno and I'm only 43. Looking for thoughts again ...about the individuals who leave items on the top row of the [B][General admission/B] seats on Sat and expect to keep those same seats on Sun.
    I say: get some reserved seats if that how u roll, otherwise wait in line at 430am like the ones who want those seats so bad OR.... forfeit their crap along with the seats they vacated.
    As the saying goes, U SNOOZE, U LOSE.
    MATT
    Turn left, GO FAST

Re: grandstand seats & those who try to save them from Sat.

I especially like how the same people waltz in at nearly noon, staking claim to enough seat area to accomodate 8 people but only 4 show up.
    This angers a lot of families who need the space to sit together.
    I've met some of the best people at the Reno Air Races but as always there are exceptions.
    Have my fingers crossed about the weather on Sunday !
    Rampking

Comment

All the stuff that's left behind on Saturday afternoon should be collected up and taken to the lost-and-found. Then have Frank, Steve, and Danny make an announcement around 3:45 on Sunday as to where they can claim their stuff.

Just a thought....
      Sky Critter

Comment

I found a simple solution to this problem 20 years ago.

I dont want to give my secret away but my avatar is a big hint.

Comment

The Rose Parade in Portland grew a huge problem where folks would "duct tape" their spot on the parade route. It became a huge almost comical problem and the city finally had to ban the practice.

It works. So if folks leave stuff to hold general admission seats, it's really up to the venue to clear the stuff off the stands if, after clearly stating that it's a no-no to do so.

Multi day car races have these same type problems and have dealt with it in different ways.
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

As a Younger gentleman filled with piss and vinegar I used to go down town the night before the rose parade and remove peoples duct tape.

We would have a contest to see who could make the biggest duct tape ball with the spoils.

Good times.

Comment

I am getting the idea that 99% of the attendees are totally in the dark on this grossly arrogant maneuver that a few a have gotten away with for more than 8 yrs. RARA has been ignoring it.
              A select few hardcore people ( like ME ) get into Stead early enough to witness (and/or give a sh*t ) ..before the upper stands fill in. I compete for those coveted seats. My group can't afford to pay for reserved seating so we go to the nose bleed section be the early birds who get the worm.
              **Its first come-first serve ! ..NOT .. "hey I grabbed these seats yesterday"...
              It's called GENERAL SEATING for cry'n out loud. RARA needs to get off their a&&es and finally do something !!! They need to sweep the top rows just like they sweep trash below the stands.
              We have complained to RARA via email but ...they have yet to act. One day, there's going to be trouble on Sunday morning. (just say'n)

As a side note: I bet that any corrective action might affect Sec 3 too. In fact, the select group of A holes in section 1,2,4,5 & 6 who save seats from Sat are using the foil of Sec 3 to support their act. Sorry but people follow by example -and to date an example has been made to some degree. I have NO beef with Sec 3. Loyal, dedicated fans there. We simply all have the same rules to abide by. Otherwise it can be caos.

WAYNE: I'm presuming u have the connections to get the ear of certain people that run the show.
              MATT
              Turn left, GO FAST

Comment

Nice to see that somebody is addressing a potential problem which could become more serious if left unattended to, good job Merlin Matt.

A policy should be that those who arrive first in the morning, should be allowed to occupy 36" of bleacher space per person who is there at that time. In other words, you cannot reserve space for those who are not there, you must be there. I guess it would be ok to leave (after arriving and placing your cushions) and come back later, providing somebodys there to defend your area...?

Any items left on the area from the night before can be removed by those arriving first.

Comment

I'm not saying I'm well connected, but I know some people who will know if RARA has ever considered the subject. I'll find out and post what I know.

Comment

So happy to see that its getting a morsel of attention since it posted last nite.

Hoping lite a fire under certain asses to do something that is a no-brainer here.
                    Let me be clear: I want to clarify that I not totally certain on what Sec 3 leaves behind on Sat. I certainly have no beef with those folks.

Matt

Turn left, GO FAST.
                    MATT
                    Turn left, GO FAST

Comment

Originally posted by merlin matt View Post

As a side note: I bet that any corrective action might affect Sec 3 too. In fact, the select group of A holes in section 1,2,4,5 & 6 who save seats from Sat are using the foil of Sec 3 to support their act. Sorry but people follow by example -and to date an example has been made to some degree. I have NO beef with Sec 3. Loyal, dedicated fans there. We simply all have the same rules to abide by. Otherwise it can be caos.
                      I am afriad of something like that. I realize that I totally take for granted the ability to know my seat will always be there, and that I can go walk the grounds and leave the $600 binoculars, Shirts and swag, and everything else up there without the slightest bit of hesitation.

I suspect that if they did enact some sort of bleacher sweep that they would just leave that section alone, but would that be fair? and would it jeoprodize what section 3 is? I dont know.

I tape a piece of foam to the bench on Thursday and expect to be able to sit on it when I am in the stands, but I make a big point of telling everyone near me to feel free to sit there when I am not present.

Every year the same pople sit in the same areas of the top ten rows so its pretty established and not a problem, but a lot of the original Section 3 crowd are getting old and starting to thin out. If the races are still happening in ten years I dont now what section 3 will be like, but I will do my best to keep the faith!.

Comment

I can honestly say I have never sat close to, nor "in" ..the famed Sec 3. For whatever reason, it didn't happen. I try to sit high up in Sec 1 of course. Occasionally Sec 4 but that is in a separate module of grandstands. (??)

Sec 3 is a unique, special case when it comes to the seating situation. I think u all have out grown the section and have encroached into Sec 2 a wee bit. (??)
                        Pondering on why I have yet to befriend or even know a Sec 3'er. Strange.

Here's an idea:
                        I believe that Sec 3 should get a slice of the booths out in front on the tarmac. They can pool their $$ to help offset RARA's needs ( primo booth revenue losses otherwise) Instead of all those lil walls, they can have one large chunk out in front of the Sec 3 stands. They can interact better with the passing antique fire truck parading the performers and winners. One fat party area !

RARA is so full of politics that I am very jaded about any real progress getting made.
                        MATT
                        Turn left, GO FAST

Comment

The problem is much bigger than just the air races. It is a social problem we are facing. The one of entitlement. It is a plague that has infested everything!

Off my rant.

The best way to deal with this is for it to be announced that anything that is left in the stands overnight will be found at the lost and found the next day, or thrown away, and follow through with it. Once that is done people will figure out that their little entitlement to a seat that is not theirs is over.

SHUT IT DOWN!!
                          Last edited by doubleup; 09-15-2010, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Amen to Doubleup !

Time for RARA to get off their a$$es and do something.
                            MATT
                            Turn left, GO FAST

Comment

I think I would be glad to reposition things a bit if I were there earlier than the ppl leaving the stuff.

GO

Comment

Working...
                              X