Cool Airplanes: Bell XP-77

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool Airplanes: Bell XP-77

Was just watching the Discovery Wings channel and a show (have not caught the name) featured a prototype by Bell at the beginning of the 40's that caught my eye

More Info Here

The shots on the web do not look as good as the video shots of the airplane on the show... Strangely enough, from some angles, it looks a little bit like the Questair airplanes.. maybe just the size but the "look" is there to my eye....

Sort of an interesting design, the size, likely, would have kept it from being a serious fighter/pursuit airplane but as a racer... hummn....

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

power?

lets see , 27.5ft wingspan, 22.9ft long ,change the wood construction to composites

Wonder how much horsepower you could get out of the original Ranger 6 cyclinder engine?

Dan
    blacksheep
    Life's a Climb , But the view is Great

Comment

It seems as though I saw a first-hand pilot report that the XP-77 had less than sterling handling properties...

I have wondered if anyone would take on an accurate replica as a homebuilt project, though.

Comment

Here are the specs:

It had the inverted V-12 Ranger of 520 hp. Peas
        Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
        World Speed Record Holder

Comment

supercharged

It was suposed to be built with the supercharged version of the Ranger AIr cooled V12 and have a top speed of over 400 but never got the "Big" engine so had rated top speed of 330 mph at a weight of a little over 3,000 lbs

Dan
          blacksheep
          Life's a Climb , But the view is Great

Comment

Working...
          X