Thoughts on the GP-5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on the GP-5?

So I'm looking at what we can expect at Reno this year. Unlimited seems pretty sparce. I'm betting Strega, Bear, Voodo Dreadnaught but who knows. I have no idea for jets but Super Sport we have the GP-5. Anyone have any inside information as to how this bird will do on its first out? Is this the 2010 dark horse story?

Spacegrrrl

Re: Thoughts on the GP-5?

Skip Holm has a very quick and very nice looking airplane that looks like a little Bearcat that I saw at Madera last year. It's his design. He told me he might make it to Reno. Anyone know anything?
    ...going off the rails on a crazy train....

Comment

Originally posted by spacegrrrl View Post
      So I'm looking at what we can expect at Reno this year. Unlimited seems pretty sparce. I'm betting Strega, Bear, Voodo Dreadnaught but who knows. I have no idea for jets but Super Sport we have the GP-5. Anyone have any inside information as to how this bird will do on its first out? Is this the 2010 dark horse story?

Spacegrrrl
      The GP-5 could definitely be the dark horse. Obviously it hasn't raced, but it has years of refinement and testing behind it. I think they will be one of the most well prepared teams there.

Comment

The GP-5 is having to have its engine rebuilt. It may or may not complete the rebuild in time to race this year.

It is not expected to do much more than fill a position in the Super Sport group.

Comment

"Skip Holm has a very quick and very nice looking airplane that looks like a little Bearcat that I saw at Madera last year. It's his design. He told me he might make it to Reno. Anyone know anything?"

Skip is not registered to race "his airplane", so if he brings it, it would be for display only.

As far as racing "his airplane" in the Sport or Super Sport groups; I don't think it is considered a "kit" so it couldn't go with the Sport group and it would not be fast enough to do much in the Super Sport group.

Vne 280 KIAS
          Vd 310 KIAS

The Bear Vd 310 of KIAS is a limiting factor in the Super Sport group.

Comment

This GP-5?
            Or is there another plane with the same designation?

Comment

Originally posted by NoVibes View Post
              This GP-5?
              Or is there another plane with the same designation?
              That's the one. So anyone with direct knowledge of the engine rebuild here on the forums. Wondering what happened to the engine and how its coming.

Spacegrrrl

Comment

The latest info I have is for the engine to be done and back in the airplane on Thursday of this week.

Comment

Originally posted by spacegrrrl View Post
                  That's the one. So anyone with direct knowledge of the engine rebuild here on the forums. Wondering what happened to the engine and how its coming.

Spacegrrrl
                  Does this plane happen to be based out of Mustang Airport just outside of Elk Grove, CA? I visited that air field once and I swear that I saw this exact plane there. Interesting.
                  "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

Alos, I think we are talking about two different planes here. One GP-5 is pictured above, and one is the one that looks like a smaller Bearcat or T-28. Am I close?
                    "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

I believe that this racer is from Elk Grove, I've been hearing about it for years. Who's the pilot?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt58 View Post
                        Alos, I think we are talking about two different planes here. One GP-5 is pictured above, and one is the one that looks like a smaller Bearcat or T-28. Am I close?

I think there is only one GP-5 and that picture is it. There is a plane that looks like a mini-Bearcat that was shown in various states of completion at previous Reno's. I thought the plan for that was some sort of kit. Not sure it every worked out as a kit. I thought that one used the Russion radial used in the Yak 52s.

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Yup definately 2 different airframes.
                          The Bear 360 is a scale Bearcat powered by the M14P as used in the Yak 52 and most of the russian aerobatic airframes.
                          Having seen the webpage it does look like a pretty cool machine.
                          The GP-5 i believe Dave Morss did the first flight
                          race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

.....sounds ok...but im not to keen on car engines.

One of a kind GP-5 run up and running a Merlin in the hangar.

Comment

That looked like a full power run with the V-8. I'm surprised to see those small diameter wheels and brakes holding in place, maybe it was tied down.

Comment

Working...
                              X