Mr. Awesome--circa 1989

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Awesome--circa 1989

So anyone have pictures of my personal favorite Yak racer from 1989? I know Bucky has one that he posted in his Buck Shot's thread from that year...nice one of it in the pits after a rain shower, but that's really all I've ever seen.

I arrived that year as they were loading what was left of it onto a flatbed, so never got any pit/ramp/flying shots of it in it's 1989 configuration.

Was definitely an improvement over the 1988 monstrosity that Skip parked, almost like the caterpillar had emerged from it's cocoon...they removed the big downdraft scoop, gave it a bigger profiled spinner, and put a beautiful T-33 tail unit on it with a stinger. Looked like a modern Gee-Bee.

Unfortunately, it got 'shot-down' by a stray bullet two-years in the making, and when Neil tried to bring her back to the runway, he messed-up the landing gear sequence (there were two sets of doors that had to be opened), and ended up rolling it up in a ball. Fortunately, Neil walked away, but....

Re: Mr. Awesome--circa 1989

There are shots of Mr. Awesome in this article on the aafo site...Sorry if you already saw them...

All Aviation FlightLine OnLine-Reno Air Races: The story of "Mr. Awesome" now known as "Red Heat"

Comment

the 1988 version was renamed buy skip..

...to MR. AWFUL!

Comment

Re: the 1988 version was renamed buy skip..

Originally posted by JET1 View Post
        ...to MR. AWFUL!
        Naw...Tom Camp calling his plane that was pretty funny, but.....

Comment

Is that the plane that has been for sale in Trade a Plane for a few years? If not, what happened to it?

Comment

Built by Joe Kasparoff and raced by Skip in 1988. Sold to Darryl Greenamyer and raced by Neil Anderson in 1989. Crashed during qualifications in '89 and wreckage in storage for 7 years until sold to Roger Van Grote (notice...the van Grote connection?). Started rebuild as "Red Heat". Project sold to Jack Frost(biteme!...get well OBR) in 1999, the rebuild was about 80% finished as "Frostbite"....and it now sits in Jack's hanger in Arkansas for sale.

Comment

Does it have the wing from a -9 or -11 on it? Some one needs to buy it and put a 2800 on it.

Comment

Working...
              X