Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE YOUNG FLYER

"The Young Flyer"

I'd like to share another photo ensemble shot by my daughter- DESTINY DAWSON...

Sun. 9/14/08-Reno NCAR- Countless aviation dreams & careers started via the simple joyful experience of flying one of those classic balsawood toy glider planes- demonstrated here by this cool kid flyer at the air races.

Judging by his obvious intense focus, -along w/the Tiger Destefani-autographed Strega hat & Czech Mate tee-shirt he's wearing, I think it'd be a safe bet to say he might already be hooked on flying!

DBD
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BuckyD; 08-20-2010, 09:30 AM.

Re: THE YOUNG FLYER

Very cool. Picture number four is magical. Perfect timing and composition. That picture captures the magic of flight wonderfully.

How many of you used to take a few of those gliders and make a P-38?

Comment

I have and I currently hold a LOAB Letter of Authorization bulsawood.

Comment

Yes I did the P38 thing. The best one they made was the one that you folded the wings back & used a rubber band & stick to shoot it up as high as you could before the wings popped open & it glided softly back to earth.Nice work "Bucky". Thats where it all started for me many moons ago.
        Lockheed Bob

Comment

Destiny's got the eye Bucky
          "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Bucky,

Now you did it! You know how it is when you start showing off kid pictures, so here's my future racer!

Pic 1-2006 Reno (in the stroller)
            Pic 2-2007 Reno (points out his favorite racer through the fence)
            Pic 3-2009 R/C Airplane Field (shows off his balsa plane)
            Pic 4-2009 Reno (shows appropriate racing line)
            Pic 5-2009 Reno (monitors racing action from Pedal Pitts)

Enjoy!
            Sam
            Last edited by flyboycpa; 08-20-2010, 03:57 PM.
            Biplane Race #3

Comment

I agree about the fourth picture- there is just "something" to the look on that young man's face that makes that picture special
              Russ
              Knotty Girl Crew

Comment

I can't match the quality of the aircraft shots on this board, but due to great subject matter I can at least hit a few kid shots. He's has been coming up with me since he was three and has not missed a year. We even stopped by in '01. Without scanning the old prints I can go back as far as '04. I think his favorite moments were chatting up Gene Cernan (camera had been left with others) and talking to the ANG demo pilot (my favorite pic in 10 years).

Less than a month now and we'll be up again.

Tempus Fugit
                Attached Files
                Last edited by tim; 08-21-2010, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Thanks all. I'll pass it on to daughter.

Sam, I really dig the 'hand-flying' pic & the pedal car biplane shots.

Tim, liked seeing the great time-accelerated shots of your boy growin' up at the races as well (I actually felt like I'd just 'aged' myself a notch, whilst viewing them!)

Thanks so much for posting & sharing these personal pictures & your thoughts & recollections.

I also recall when those toy gliders changed from balsa over to foam, and that one mfr. series that featured most all the WW2 classic Allied & Axis fighter planes. Do ya remember those?

DBD

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyD View Post
                    \

I also recall when those toy gliders changed from balsa over to foam, and that one mfr. series that featured most all the WW2 classic Allied & Axis fighter planes. Do ya remember those?

DBD
                    I remember the foam ones bucky... they didnt fly so great, so it was buy the foam pack, a couple of sheets of balsa and trace the shapes up and cut them out in balsa.. flew much better and lasted longer too..
                    race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan View Post
                      I remember the foam ones bucky... they didnt fly so great, so it was buy the foam pack, a couple of sheets of balsa and trace the shapes up and cut them out in balsa.. flew much better and lasted longer too..
                      There were some hilarious mistakes in the names and marking of some of those foam ones.

Comment

Hey Jibus-

Man, you really have a sharp memory there! Now that you mention it, I kinda do recall there being some blatant boo-boos on those foam jobs & as Kiwiracefan pointed out, they didn't fly so hot compared to the classic balsa models.

DBD

Comment

Comment

Here's one I saw in 08. It made me want to check in on him in 20 years to see what he was doing.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Hey Jibus-

Thx f/posting the 'TA-152' foam toy glider. The foam ones I'm thinkin' of came out in the early 1960s-1970s I think, and had more subdued printing on them ala-comic book ink colors - P51, P47, P38, Spitfire, Hurricane, Zero, Me109, Fw190 for sure & likely some others. Think they maybe had some early jets too.

DBD

P. S. The ones I'm thinkin' of had props - here's a pic what might be some packaged examples (will keep looking for some refs. of them out of the bag):
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by BuckyD; 08-24-2010, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X