I don't want to be pissed off!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't want to be pissed off!

If I get to Reno and find out that Rod doesn't have a race motor in the Bear, I WILL be mighty pissed off!

Just say'in.

Glen
    '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Re: I don't want to be pissed off!

Better than no motor.... just sayin'

Comment

Last edited by eldon2101; 08-19-2010, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eldon2101 View Post
        Can always kick in a few K to help the cause...I am just happy with the price tag they spend to do this that they fly at all. So many like Lyle gave it his Blood, sweat and tears plus.....

The difference there is you're comparing an incredibly wealthy individual versus someone who scraped, hoarded, and skimped virtually the last 40 years of his life, mostly at the expense of his family and home, to make it happen.

Mr. Lewis bought into what it took Lyle most of his adult life to create.

Comment

Originally posted by planecrazy2 View Post
          If I get to Reno and find out that Rod doesn't have a race motor in the Bear, I WILL be mighty pissed off!

Just say'in.

Glen

Sounds like business as usual to me. If its hung a week or more before race week they are way ahead of schedule!

Comment

Well not to throw fuel on the fire but a of now still no engine.....Maybe someone could riddle methis though....why move her out of the bearcave and down to where they keep the sport class? She has all kinds of hanger room now, though without an engine not much need for it. NOT saying this is permament, just noticed she was moved when we were out there last week.

Comment

If the cowls are on, there must be a problem!
              "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Originally posted by Dave65882 View Post
                Well not to throw fuel on the fire but a of now still no engine.....Maybe someone could riddle methis though....why move her out of the bearcave and down to where they keep the sport class? She has all kinds of hanger room now, though without an engine not much need for it. NOT saying this is permament, just noticed she was moved when we were out there last week.
                Maybe they are finally getting to work on American Spirit??

Comment

I'd like to humbly point-out, that there's a whole lotta phase work involved w/preparing any overhauled motor- PRIOR to getting it hung onto the airframe, culminating w/test stand running.

Now when we're talkin' 'race-prepared' engines, multiply that several times over.

When the freshly-overhauled motor passes all checks & tests, and gets signed-off after a successful OHL is completed, THEN it starts heading over to the airplane f/mounting. It's gotta be right & ready before you bolt it on the bird.

DBD

Comment

Heck, they can change an engine overnight. Why are you getting all bent outta shape because it isn't hanging there with three weeks to go?

Comment

Here's my input on this issue..(let me preface that I'm a Huge fan of the Bear)

#1. It was Lyle that found N777L and spent the rest of his life turning her into what we now know as "RARE BEAR".

#2. I, as well as many other air racing fans, contributed thousands of dollars to help make sure the Bear was able to fly in September. (Hell, my first trip to Reno allowed me a view of my favorite aircraft in a hangar with no engine or prop.)

#3. Mr. Lewis is absolutely one of the best advocates of warbirds in general, and someone that has definitely acquired a love for our air races. (We're gonna get to see both Big Bossman and Here, Kitty Kitty racing this year, with Mr. Lewis yankin' the stick on one of 'em!) Thank goodness that we, as fans of this sport, have someone that can afford to keep our sport going.

#4. I don't have any clue what is going on in the Cave right now, but I do know that, in the time since Mr. Lewis purchased the Bear, the airframe has been brought up to specs (meaning that Mr. Penney will not have to worry about airframe issues while piloting the Bear) and last year a boil-off cooling system was installed. All things that I feel should be done before hanging a race engine on the aircraft.

#5. (And this is completely speculation, as what I've already posted is common knowledge) Mr. Lewis has invested the money for a FIRE BREATHING, NOS INHALING, UNGODLY WRIGHT 3350 that can produce Lord only knows how much horsepower!!!

We'll just have to wait and see what Mr. Cornell has come up with

Can't wait to see ya'll,

Tom
                      Last edited by bulldawg66; 08-19-2010, 04:06 PM.

Comment

I'm not going to worry about it until Race Pace says...."Gentlemen..you have a Race"!

And I would rather error on the side of safety for everyone involved than proceed less than fully prepared. If they can't race this year, then next year will be that much better!

But it ain't "over" yet. Kick back, relax, three weeks to go and we'll all know.

I know a guy who had a big block chevy modification into a WWII 3/4 ton weapons carrier, and he had that engine in and back out of that thing 75 times..before he was happy....and that thing will burn rubber at 70 mph.... and still does 30 years later ...(anybody know Barry....Stiletto...)... so installing an engine is just part of the job ...And I kinda think that whomever is in the Bear's crew this year will be able to get the job done... installing and testing an engine is easily doable between then and now..

...and I bet there will be another great "Bear" story...in the end.

And besides...do you really believe Rod bought that plane to let it sit out the Races? Me neither.
                        Last edited by BUD_XXX; 08-19-2010, 06:21 PM.

Comment

I have a vision in my head, call it a premonition.

Its Saturday afternoon. The bear has qualified in the 450 range. Strega has the pole with a 470-480 qualifying speed. The final heat of the day is coming around Peavine mountain with Strega and the Bear running one and two. The racers settle into their spots as they come around the back side of the course. The spacing between Strega and the bearcat will be the one second gap we have come to see so many times. As they pass the start finish line at around 480mph, everyone will look and sound good, and the crowd will cheer as they make there turn on pylon 1.

Somewhere between pylon 2 and 3 something happens that the crowd cant quite see yet. Stevo will get a call on his radio that the bear is moving on him, look over his shoulder for just a second, and ease he throttle forward just a bit.

Between pylons 3 and 4 John penny starts pushing the throttle ever so slightly forward and feels the vibration in the airframe change its pitch slightly. The crowd will be just starting to realize something might be happening as the Bear inches closer and closer.

As they hit pylon 4 it will grow quiet in the crowd as we see them so nicely silhouetted against the mountiains in front of us. It will slowly become apparent that something really is happening.

Suddenly jaws will start to hang open and eyes will go wide as somewhere between pylons 4 and 6 the Bear passes Strega like its sitting still.

Goosebumps will appear on my arms and my fist will suddenly thrust in the air and I will shout out as loud as I can "GO BABY GO!" but it will be barely audible over the sound of thousands of people doing the very same thing.

As they pass the entrance to the valley of speed people will be screaming, Stevo will be pushing the throttle forward trying to get into the slot for pylons 7 and 8 and they will, for a brief moment, be pointed straight at me. This will cause an optical illusion that prevents me from being able to tell for certain who is in front. But I will know in just a few heartbeats........

I have been coming to this show for a long time. Something tells me we are going to see something extraordinary this year. I get goosebumps thinking about it. I take the silence from the Bear cave as a very good sign.

Relax everyone.

Just let it happen.
                          Last edited by flyingjibus; 08-19-2010, 06:14 PM.

Comment

The Bear drama... It never freakin' ends...
                            CFI/CFII/MEI
                            www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
                            www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

Flyingjibus -

My heartrate rose and my breathing increased just reading your post... I think that if I could see your vision come to pass I could die a happy man.
                              Thank you.

Tom

(I'm gonna go read that again, now)

Comment

Working...
                              X