High G viewing area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High G viewing area

Anyone know if the "High G Ridge" viewing area will be offered this year? They had just been approved by the FAA right before last years races. Just a tent and some chairs, but a great view. They were making big plans for this years race, but have not heard anything since.
    Last edited by Kevin L; 08-13-2010, 09:51 AM.

Re: High G viewing area

I inquired at Oshkosh about High G viewing area and it will be available again this year. If I remember correctly you get your tickets at the T-6 booth or next to it.

Comment

...yes

...and I believe it will be going a bit more upscale as well.

Comment

Yawn. I saw lots of pictures taken from that spot last year and I dont think it offers anything that isnt attainable at the fencline. Though the fenceline aint so great anymore.

I'm spoiled by memories of being on the back hill in the 80's though, so maybe I am less able to be impressed by it....

Comment

I did it last year on friday.Extremely hot but great view!I think rara did it to get even with the fans along the fence line.The driver getting us back seemed to like the amount of dust he was creating on the crowd camping along the way!Also they promised a T Shirt to be shipped to us and as of now has not delivered.

Comment

How much did it cost per day last year? Also, how much will it be this year? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Reno Box 77 View Post
              I inquired at Oshkosh about High G viewing area and it will be available again this year. If I remember correctly you get your tickets at the T-6 booth or next to it.
              Is this something that you have to pre-register/sign-up/buy before the races start, or are there enough tickets that you could do it spur-of-the-moment while out there?

Comment

Originally posted by dvddude View Post
                Is this something that you have to pre-register/sign-up/buy before the races start, or are there enough tickets that you could do it spur-of-the-moment while out there?
                Last year there were some people that got their tickets on Fri and Sat for those days, but Sunday sold out on Sat. I expect it will sell out early this year now that people know about it. I think it was something like $100 per ticket IIRC.

Comment

Be sure to stand up and wave at us at Outer 6!
                  Owen Ashurst
                  Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                  http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Air Judge View Post
                    Be sure to stand up and wave at us at Outer 6!
                    Which would you consider to be the best pylon for Jets?

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                      Yawn. I saw lots of pictures taken from that spot last year and I dont think it offers anything that isnt attainable at the fencline. Though the fenceline aint so great anymore.

I'm spoiled by memories of being on the back hill in the 80's though, so maybe I am less able to be impressed by it....
                      I agree jibus! the fenceline in the 80's - 90's was just the best spot period, and nothing else will ever compare. Lots of photos and memories for me from there (guide pylon between pylons 6-7 at the end of the telephone pole line) so the high "G" area isn't so appealing to me either. But for the newer fans, it would probably be quite the thrill to view the races from there........
                      "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Re: High G Ridge viewing area

Originally posted by Kevin L View Post
                        Anyone know if the "High G Ridge" viewing area will be offered this year? They had just been approved by the FAA right before last years races. Just a tent and some chairs, but a great view. They were making big plans for this years race, but have not heard anything since.
                        As an air race newbie (this will be my first year at Reno), I'm pretty interested in this. Does anyone have more information about obtaining tickets for this viewing area?

I'm trying to get all my tickets in advance, where possible.

Thanks!

Comment

For Jets:
                          For photography at the pylons I'd say 4, 5 & 6. Great light, a/c are banking into turns. At 6, we get them coming off of 5 but they are below the desert floor then pop up coming straight at you. Great sight!

Outer 7 is probably where they are at top speed. So, from a fan's perspective I'd say the fenceline would be pretty cool, other comments about it notwithstanding. Although the a/c are pretty much in level flight so you mainly get a profile.

Frankly, I've never been disappionted on ANY pylon...500mph 50' over your head is a rush no matter which stick you're stand at!

Cheers,
                          Attached Files
                          Owen Ashurst
                          Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                          http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by t-dub View Post
                            I agree jibus! the fenceline in the 80's - 90's was just the best spot period, and nothing else will ever compare. Lots of photos and memories for me from there (guide pylon between pylons 6-7 at the end of the telephone pole line) so the high "G" area isn't so appealing to me either. But for the newer fans, it would probably be quite the thrill to view the races from there........

I'm talking about being ON the course in the 80's N.E. side of course in the hills. Or more specifically here:

Comment

here!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X