Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wright RB-1 and Mystery Ship

Hello fellow AAFOers

I just wanted to share a couple pictures. Jennifer and I visited a couple museums while we were back east for the big airshow. We went to the Henry Ford in Detroit and the Science and Industry in Chicago. Obviously both these museums have some fantastic aviation exhibits; Henry Ford the RB-1 and Glenn Curtiss's winning propeller from the first air race, and The Science and Industry Museum has the Mystery Ship and that fantastic Stuka (as well as the mercury and apollo 8 capsules).

Anyway I attached a few pictures, if you ever get a chance I recommend both museums.

Elliot
    Attached Files

Re: Wright RB-1 and Mystery Ship

Hi Elliot-

Hey, thanks f/posting those museum pictures. I grew up in the Windy City & like many Chitown kids growing up there, the Chicago Museums were our regular daycare centers. The Field Museum of Natural History w/its' T-Rex & other dinos (& REAL mummies!) and the Museum of Science & Industry w/its' captured WW2 German U-505 sub, airplanes, coal mine, etc., were my favorites to go get lost in over the weekends & all through summer vacation days.

The Science & Industry's MK-1A Spitfire hanging poised to attack the sinister German JU-87 Stuka divebomber always had me transfixed- daydreaming about Battle of Britain air combat encounters. (I'd thought they'd finally got some wheel pant fairings to put on that old Nazi bird's gear legs - guess not!). The racers & the old antique spruce & fabric relics gave me a similar feeling that I experienced looking at the dinosaurs over at the Field Museum. Those pics took me back in time, for sure.

DBD
    Last edited by BuckyD; 08-11-2010, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Stuka would be very cool!
      F1 Race 98 & 99

Comment

Bucky,
        Funny you mention the kids, they were everywhere. My folks took me to that museum a long time ago (we landed at meigs), and the Stuka/Spitfire blew me away (its just about the only thing I remember from the trip besides Meigs). It was just as awesome this time around (besides not being able to land at meigs). Somebody said it was the best example of a true warbird in a museum, the dull paint, rough and rugged shapes, and real battle damage. The spit is fantastic too, it just has to compete with that darned Stuka.

It was way cool,
        Elliot

Comment

The U-Boat is truly amazing (very scary crew life), also loved the Stuka too. Went to London a year or so ago, a must see museum before you croak. Bucky I did a sketch of No. 86, I will try and get Sherm to sign it and give it to you if you would like to have it. Thanks, KC

Comment

Hi KC-

BTW- In 1969 there were THREE WW2-era submarines in downtown Chicago: the U-505 at Museum of Science & Industry & two USN subs moored over at Navy Pier- USS Silversides (SS-236) & USS Runner (SS-476) both used as USN Reserve training vessels & open for visitor tours on a limited basis. Remember that the Silversides still had working engines & would occasionally leave the dock for short surface cruise exercises out on Lake Michigan. She has twelve WW2 Battle Stars to her credit.

The Runner was actually towed to Navy Pier (to replace the Silversides) & she had one WW2 Battle Star to her credit. She was sold f/scrap in '73 f/$108K to Diamond Scrapyard in Waukegan, IL.

Today Silversides is in fine shape & moored at the Great Lakes Naval Memorial & Museum in Muskegon, MI. as the museum's centerpiece alongisde the 125-ft. USCGC McLane W-146 (a WW2 SE Alaska ASW combat vet!). The nuclear-powered successor to ole' Silversides is USS SILVERSIDES (SSN-679).

(KC- It would be an honor to have your SS-signed sketch of Race #86, & I would treasure it very much! Thanks for your kind thoughtfulness!)

DBD
            Last edited by BuckyD; 08-14-2010, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X