CZECHMATE OUT FOR 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CZECHMATE OUT FOR 2010

Thanks one and all for your kind words. We will be back in 2011 after we get the wing strengthened up a bit. Then you will see how fast that little Yak will really go. With John Moore stepping up to the plate to get the Mate some new wings and LD Hughes and company doing the work, I definitely will feel comfortable hammering that P&W all the way to the floor. Could we go supersonic? Nah, but it will be the ride of my life!

I must say something to and about BuckyD here. You may or may not know, but I feel I owe him my life. If he hadn't, so graciously, sent us those pictures of the wing "flex" we would probably have never known. You all know the old story..How many times can you bend a wire before it breaks. When Bucky saw his photos of me and the Bear on the race start Sunday around pylon 4, I believe, he noticed something about our wing. His quick response and heads up allowed us to dig into the wing a little closer and come to the conclusion that we needed to "update" the strength in the wings. We again Thank you Mr. Dawson. A case of Fighter Pilot Red will be on the way to Alaska shortly for you to enjoy.

Bucky, you are the Man and are always welcome in my home!

Sherm Smoot
    Sherm a.k.a "Smooter"

www.fighterpilotred.com

Re: CZECHMATE OUT FOR 2010

Thanks Sherman,

I salute you and your crew.

Fix the wing and enjoy a long and happy life.

When I saw Bucky's pictures and having first had experience with Camp's Yak I was amazed and thankful there was enough strength in the wing that it did not fail.

Fix it and I look forward to seeing you and the Mate next year.

Willie
    Crew Dog Race 2 Air Biscuit

Comment

Hi Sherm!

Thank you very much for your kind & gracious words of appreciation. It was a great & fortunate example of providence, fate or just plain 'luck', if you will, that allowed me to snap that all-to-revealing photo of Race 86's L/H wing at that exact moment, for someone to be able to notice something didn't quite look right there on the upper skin surface.

I'm just very happy & extremely greatful that I could be of service to an air race team & their outstanding pilot in the name of safety. When CM team owner John Moore called me (after obtaining my phone number fm RARA) to ask about getting some high-resolution copies of the subject photos- I eagerly responded & emailed the images immediately to him later that same day for expert analysis by his team associates. Mr. Moore made it very clear right-away that safety was paramount to him & everyone on his team. John kindly got back in touch later to express his thanks & to update me that regrettably- Team Czech Mate would be standing-down for Reno 2010 to effect a wing structure re-sparring (or wing replacement if necessary) & to take the time to thoroughly go-over #86's complete airframe & systems to seek out any items that might be improved to up its' top speed & reliability for future competition.

Sherm, you & John, and all the great folks on your team are a class act all the way, and my wife Linda & I have always been amongst your staunchest fans. I would've done the same for any one of the air race teams (in any race class), but knowing I was able to help out one of my favorites, made it all the more rewarding! Thanks for all the years of great air racing competition & look forward to seeing Czech Mate back in fine form to race @ Reno 2011!

"GO TEAM CZECH MATE!"

Highest regards & best wishes-

Don 'Bucky' Dawson

P.S. We're savin' you guys a big Alaska fish w/your name on it f/you to catch up here some day!
      Last edited by BuckyD; 08-03-2010, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Bucky,

Can you post the photo again for those of us who missed it the first time. Or provide a link to see it?

Thanks
        Don

Comment

All Air Racing All the time! Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system. Including file uploads, event calender, private messages and more. Due to an unmanageable amount of SPAM membership applications, the join process is a few step process. It all makes it secure!

Comment

Bummer to hear Czech Mate wont be there this year.. One of my favs..

Here's the link to the pics.

All Air Racing All the time! Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system. Including file uploads, event calender, private messages and more. Due to an unmanageable amount of SPAM membership applications, the join process is a few step process. It all makes it secure!

Comment

Geezus Bucky, I remember that photo... Thanking the Great Spirit that you got that shot!

Hat's off to Bucky, Sherm, John and all who make and have made that airplane what she is...

GO CZECH MATE 2011

Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Safety first for sure, glad to see everything being worked out! See you in 2011!!!

Comment

Czechmate has always been at the top of my "favorites" list. It has been the topic of discussion between my friends on many occasions, where the topic always turns to "Gee.....I bet Czechmate would be untouchable with a modern wing design". Are you considering making a modern wing planform & airfoil, or rebuilding the original design?

Regards, Dan

Comment

Sherman, could you share a few details on what damage was found, and what the possible fixes are?

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                      Sherman, could you share a few details on what damage was found, and what the possible fixes are?
                      We feel the wing is flexing too much. There is an old rear spar patch that LD and John did not care for. You see, John Moore and LD are guys that like things "true" so, they want new, custom, stronger spars and a few other things done. Let's just say we will be modifying/strengthening the wings. Skunk Works Shafter has a few other mods on the table.... Just wait.
                      Sherm a.k.a "Smooter"

www.fighterpilotred.com

Comment

Thanks for the update Sherm...
                        What ever the minds in the shafter skunk works have instore im sure it will mean a faster little blue n silver yak.. always my favorite radial racer..
                        race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

sherm you and your crew are more than welcome in my little pit in the f1 hanger. just so you know most of us cant wait till that little thing gets you that gold jacket, some real david and goliath **** ps bring wine haha

Comment

Guess you could say that Sherm has a "cancelled Czech" huh?

Sorry Sherm, I couldn't resist! Seriously, thank goodness for all these photographers AND the advent of digital photography - zooming in on a pic is sooo much easier these days! I remember seeing that pic after last years race and thinking how lucky you were, both that she held together and that Bucky was able to snap that pic!

God Bless and can't wait to see ya in the Gold next year!

Tom

Comment

Laminar Flow Airfoil!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X