good scanner for races?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good scanner for races?

I'm interested in purchasing a scanner but dont really know anything about them so im not sure what to get or what will work for listening to race control. I'm looking for something reasonable in price but want to make sure its going to work for this purpose as i dont have any other use for it.

Hoping something like the Uniden BC-72XLT NASCAR will work for this or anything cheaper.

Any info on this would be greatly appriciated!!!

Re: good scanner for races?

I have the Radio Shack Pro-94... I'm pretty happy with it. Does all I want it and more. Doesn't look like Radio Shack sells them anymore but with a quick search of eBay you can see what's out there and the going price.
    Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
    My Photos
    My Ride

Comment

I looked into that scanner and it looks good but I want to get something new so I know it works right. what are the minnimum features you need in a scanner to follow Race control frequencie?

Comment

Either the Bearcat BC95XLT or BC92XLT would make excellent choice. They both cover the entire aircraft band (includes the aircraft frequencies used at Reno) and BC92XLT covers NASCAR too. They are both currently on sale at the Uniden website http://www.unidendirect.com/itemlist...pe=prd&catid=3 for around $75. They are both relatively small and lightweight with good battery life.

Comment

perfect!!! Thanks a bunch!!!

Comment

I use a 5 year old Radio Shack Pro 94 1000 channel Dual Trunking scanner....The dual truncking is to listen to public service traffic...Cops,,Fire..etc..
            But it covers a bunch of frequencies.....all the aviation bands, even the military ones...

A cool feature is that the Software package WIN95 is free download on the Internet and it lets you program in frequencies not programmable from the keyboard...(I love the Internet)... like certain 200 and 300 mhz frequencies.

plus. with a thousand channels, you can program the thing to take you thru the whole season of airshows and the like...

Comment

Pro 97 is what I use. Aviation and trunking, works great!

I listened to the Tbirds tanking on their way to Mountain Home AFB for the sunday air show a couple years ago right after their saturday performance in Reno.

Tony

Comment

I'm thinking of upgrading from an old radio shack 200 channel scanner. I'd like to get one with a very fast search mode, for finding unpublished frequencies. My radio also picks up a ton of interference at auto races. I assume scanners have gotten much better over the last 15 years. Any sugestions?

Comment

Originally posted by deepsky View Post
                  Pro 97 is what I use. Aviation and trunking, works great!

I listened to the Tbirds tanking on their way to Mountain Home AFB for the sunday air show a couple years ago right after their saturday performance in Reno.

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Pro-97
                  + to the Pro-97! Mine is is getting beat up but still works like a champ!

Comment

I provide radios for air shows around the US including Reno so maybe I can give you a little insight.

The simple scanners available today work and do the job. You don't need P25, but you might want to consider a scanner that can get military freqs in the lower UHF band. Air Band (118-136 Mhz) will cover what you need at the races. If you want to hear two way radio traffic from support, ops, and fire you will need to make sure your scanner covers 403-470 Mhz. There is additional public safety that operates in 800 Mhz but its not worth the hassle.

Scanner rentals are another option but after all said and done its cheaper to buy a setup, and pays off within 2 seasons.

Comment

Working...
                    X