OT-AirShow Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT-AirShow Survey

If someone put on an airshow in the Central Valley of California and it's emphasis was warbirds. Lots of warbirds. The idea is NO music, a two hour window where a few Pitts and Yaks can do their thing with all the smoke, etc. The rest of the day will have warbirds taking off and landing as they wish. One, two, three ship formation takeoffs, tail chases, fighters escourting bombers, etc. Just the sound and visuals of warbirds in the air with, and I repeat, NO MUSIC. Just the sound of Merlins, Allisons Wright Cyclones, etc. Throw in the West Coast A-10 Thunderbolt team and the demo team from Lemore thrown in for good measure.
    Would this work? Would this be a destination show like Chino is?
    Please let me know your honest opinions. You can e-mail me at yeneef@sbcglobal.net.

Thanks, Norm
    Last edited by a4gturn; 08-22-2010, 09:44 PM. Reason: Better Title
    ...going off the rails on a crazy train....

Re: OT-AirShow Survey

I think that could be pretty cool actually. It would have to be someplace relatively big, but very cool idea.

Will

Comment

They did that 15 or so years ago at Tracy Ca........had a great turn out of Warbirds, a great airshow......but if I remember right, money was a big problem.......I'm sure others on here, can know more about it.

Comment

Sounds like what Shafter use to be like

Comment

They use to run the "Gathering of the Warbirds" at Madera,Ca & was very successful. They are trying to revive that. The director was @ the Al Goss memorial promoting it.
          Lockheed Bob

Comment

That's the one I'm talking about. It will be called "Gathering of Warbirds". It is tentative for May 21-22 (weekend after Chino). Anyone who would like a sponsorship package, just let me know.
            15 years ago, the "Warbirds Over Madera" was a premier event, Joe is bringing it back.

Thanks everybody, spread the word.

Comment

Originally posted by a4gturn View Post
              That's the one I'm talking about. It will be called "Gathering of Warbirds". It is tentative for May 21-22 (weekend after Chino). Anyone who would like a sponsorship package, just let me know.
              15 years ago, the "Warbirds Over Madera" was a premier event, Joe is bringing it back.

Thanks everybody, spread the word.
              Madera was great in 2010, except for the "LOUD FRIKIN MUSIC" and announcers, 2009 at least had a section at the far ends of the field where we could hide from the speakers, not this year!

No better soundtrack than the howls of inlines and radials
              "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Our plan is NO music.

Comment

Love the NO Music idea!

We should be more vocal about this at Reno and Oshkosh, etc. as well. It really ruins many otherwise good acts. If some of these performers really felt they needed it for the younger crowd then have an immediate local radio feed they could dial into with their earphones and rock out with but leave us just the music of the pistons. I'm sure its an insult to our few surviving veterans when they are taken to a show and have this garbage pumped full volume into their ears.

Comment

Evan's dad Tim writing today …...

I think it could be very successful.

You need to reach out to the CAF and the Chino gang to get them to bring their planes in force. Casting a wide net and getting the Collings Foundation, the Flying Heritage Collection, Warhawk Air Museum, etc
                    I think you should also reach out to RARA / NCAR to get the Reno racers represented. I think that's an untapped resource and Reno doesn't take advantage of it.
                    Not only having the planes flying but also some seminars, perhaps in the evening, with people like Dan Martin, the Hintons, Bud Anderson, Jim “Longburst” Dumas, “professional” photographers sharing the tricks of the trade, etc.

Madera 2010 was great. Joe did a great job. Evan and I spent the weekend at the performers hanger so we never heard the music.

I think it should be built as more than an 'airshow'. Make it a destination with an incredible array of flying warbirds. Instead of Pitts and Edges, have Tora Tora Tora, military demo teams, P-51 aerobatics - yes aerobatics! (FYI, there will be a new west coast P-51 aerobatic display this spring!) An 'air power then and now' theme might get more military involvement. (Another FYI -the Miramar V-22 squadron is getting a bunch more V-22's and they want to take them to air shows!)

now for a shameless plug for my boy ...
                    here's his Madera 2010 write up and photos he took

here's the video I shot there
                    Here's a short video my dad put together of the 2010 Madera Air Show. It was a great air show and we had an awesome time! My dad was extra happy when he found…

and the youtube version
                    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE9qfNCDufQ[/YT]
                    http://evanflys.com/

Comment

to no music! I got to see the Thunderbirds without listening to the over dramatic announcer or the disruptive music. It was a wonderful experience

Comment

Along with NO MUSIC, please consider putting a muzzle on the announcers. Many air shows have been spoiled, not only by the music, but by the announcers seeming to feel that they need to be talking almost every minute of a show. Let them introduce the planes, and then put the microphone down.

Comment

I agree with Even's dad Tim. Contact all of those people. If you could make this the biggest warbird show, at least on the west coast, you will still attract people from all over the world. I like the idea of getting more air racers out to airshows. It's a great venue already. Last year I took Mrs. Race 29 and the two little 29's out for their first airshow there and they loved it, but didn't seem too interested in the aerobatics except for Julie Clark. (They're girls, what can I say)! They loved getting so close to the warbirds and talking to Dan Martin, Randy Goss and Al Goss, rest his soul. I LOVE the idea of a new Gathering of Warbirds, and would definatly stay for both days instead of just one, if it was a whole weekend event as it has been. Great idea!!

Race 29
                          Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

We were thinking about some hot rod Ford Mustangs staged closely to the North American variety....
                            To me, I always see a bunch of kids waiting in line to board a big military transport for a look around....what do you guys think?

Comment

Get Fifi and the people will come!

http://evanflys.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X