Clear All

• Red Bull Cancelled for 2011, maybe 2012 as well

F1 Race 98 & 99

Re: Red Bull Cancelled for 2011, maybe 2012 as well

It's over.
    Chris...

Comment

I suspect they'll be back but with format modifications.
      _________
      -Matt
      Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Originally posted by MRussell View Post
        I suspect they'll be back but with format modifications.
        Maybe multiple aircraft racing simultaneously on a closed course?
        F1 Race 98 & 99

Comment

Sad anytime an aviation-related event takes a hiatus...for a year or otherwise. I'm not a big fan of RBAR but it does generate interest in aviation and that's not a bad thing.

In the mean time....WE'RE THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN! LET'S ENJOY THE RIDE!

See ya' all NEXT MONTH!
          Owen Ashurst
          Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
          http://airbossone.com/

Comment

It would be nice to see Red Bull bring the old girl (WL) back out and put just a smidgen of the money they give to F1, NASCAR, and extreme sports in the NCAR. They are a company I think respects aviation and the war birds it would be nice to have them involved.

Comment

I liked the flying, but, won't morn the loss.......sooner or later a pilot or pedestrian woulda' got wacked...jussayin'
              Last edited by SpinB; 08-02-2010, 01:24 AM. Reason: woke up smellin' coffee
              Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

I'm not really surprised, after two close calls this year I think they feel they need to take a close look at it and see if there is anything that needs to be changed for the future.
                bob burns
                ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
                "dont mess with texas"

Comment

It might be the recent incidents, it might also be that they are simply not selling as much of the overpriced little cans of "energy drink" as they once did.

If you look at your convince store shelves, where Red Bull used to be pretty much all that was there in that type of product, there are many, MANY more now, all offering the same basic ingredients.

Personally, when I have to drive long distances, I will generally stop at a market and buy a HUGE can of sugar free "Rockstar"... why that brand? Because it's sugar free and it's cheaper and there's about content of three cans of Red Bull in it for less than the price of one can of "theirs"....

Knowing the story behind how the "Red Bull Air Races" began, where the idea came from and how they handled the start up... (search previous threads for posts by me on this subject)

Well...

Goes around comes around???
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

It was all a giant "infomercial" for Red Bull. No one should be surprised that they are revising their marketing strategy given the expense of the events. They still have plenty of marketing sizzle without RBAR.

Reno is something completely different from a historical perspective and needs to be supported and preserved. Just wish they knew how to market themselves as well as the Red Bull folks....
                    F1 Race 98 & 99

Comment

If I have to say it to be polite I'll say it.......

I'm Sorry.....

But, racing a clock is just missing something in the realm of racing. So, in my words, it's not racing.

I went to a Monster truck show and "Truck Race" at the Oakland Arena a few years back. Turned out that there wasn't enough room on the floor for the trucks to actually race. So, one truck at a time,"Racing a clock".

Absolutely horrible.

I feel the same about RBAR. Mostly a big stunt show to me. I've tried to watch it, but I just can't.

There's an old riddle that goes;
                      "When was the first race held?"
                      "When the second one was built!"

For example, a drag race is a thousand times more exciting with two cars than it is with one.

Heck even at Reno, the jet car is more exciting when it's racing an airshow performer.

Sorry for the rant.

But on the upside, I do feel better now.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by SpinB View Post
                        I liked the flying, but, won't morn the loss.......sooner or later a pilot or pedestrian woulda' got wacked...jussayin'
                        I thought they had one fatality. There's a youtube video showing one plane cutting the tail off another. The one guy bailed out, but I thought the plane that lost it's tail killed the pilot when he hit the water.
                        No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                        http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Originally posted by ignomini View Post
                          I thought they had one fatality. There's a youtube video showing one plane cutting the tail off another. The one guy bailed out, but I thought the plane that lost it's tail killed the pilot when he hit the water.
                          Don't think so, or at least not during competition, as only one aircraft is allowed on the course at a time.
                          F1 Race 98 & 99

Comment

Originally posted by ignomini View Post
                            Pretty sure that was an IF1 race overseas.

Comment

I saw one where some Yak 55's and other acro airplanes were having a race and two got together. Nothing like the Red Bull race, though.
                              Chris...

Comment

Working...
                              X