loss in the warbird community

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loss in the warbird community

...I know that only a select few of you will know Gordon Beeson, but I thought Id post this, Gordo passed away a couple of days ago. He had been battling a few things health-wise lately and it is a sad loss. He was a short little fireplug of knowledge and his skills were amazing. His name is on Dago Red as one of the chief builders of the plane.
    I was working with him on a P-38 as we had a fuel selector issue. on the 38 it is tough to get into the gondola section to fix wiring bugs so at lunch we (he) designed a new circuit on a napkin and we went back and had it all repaired with minimal fuss in about 2 hrs. I for one will miss him, he was a unique one of a kind guy and i'm sure he rubbed some folks the wrong way but i for one saw through the crust to appreciate the individual underneath. Happy trails Gordon, and i sure hope they have warbirds in the afterlife!

Re: loss in the warbird community

Blue skies forever Gordon. Thoughts & prayers to all family & friends.
    Lockheed Bob

Comment

Craig Charleston emailed me w/ the news yesterday morning. Gordon and Craig were close friends; Gordon was a dedicated participant in Craig's Messer. projects.

You are right about Gordy's disposition. But beneath that tough and crusty exterior was a pretty downright and soft hearted guy once he opened up.

I've known Gordy since the days of Goesling and Unlimited at Chino when I was just a young kid climbing all over the Blue Max. He'd often have a snippy comment for me but he would deliver it w/ a twinkle in his eye that let me know he was a friend.

He also helped get my father out of a jam in the Blue Max when one of the landing gear actuators detached leaving one leg partially extended. W/ Hinton in the air and Gordy on the ground, they coached my father into maneuvering the Corsair in such a way that the gear leg extended and locked in the down position.

My bottle of Laphroaig is dedicated to you Gordy...I'm glad to have know you....
      Steve Guilford

Comment

Gordy worked for NAA on several programs including the X-15 and XB-70. The Sabreliner comes to mind too.
        Peace Gordy, peace.

Chris...

Comment

Working...
        X