O.T. A&P Mechanics, please give me some input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.T. A&P Mechanics, please give me some input

I am 33 years old and considering a career change. I am succesfull right now, but I have no passion for what I am doing.

I have been thinking about getting an A&P certificate and seeing if that field will offer me more rewards in terms of job satisfaction and enjoyment.

I am sure there are at least 1 or 2 A&P guys on this board and I would appreciate the input.

I have no doubt that I could do the job and most likely excel at it.

Mostly looking for the down and dirty about working in the industry

Thanks.
    Last edited by flyingjibus; 07-08-2010, 04:15 PM.

Re: O.T. A&P Mechanics, please give me some input

I'm an A&P and I.A. and have been working on aircraft since I was 12 - 32 years. I love the industry I'm in and are extremely happy in what I do. I've worked on everything from J-3 cubs to Challengers and Falcon 900ex's.
    I highly recommend the career choice if you are mechanically inclined and like aircraft. I must say that it has been easier for me to get jobs because of the experience I have on many different types of aircraft. Many of the people I work with only have military and/or commercial aircraft experience, and that definitely limits your options, especially with the economy that we have now.
    Anyway, if you like aircraft, are mechanically inclined and don't mind starting at the bottom I say go for it!

Tom

Comment

I am 20 years old and Currently going to A&P school in Houston. I am 3 months from graduation and not even being a licensed mechanic yet and I have done some things that I would never take back. I competed in the AMT Maintence Skills Competion in Vegas last March and met a lot of great guys that were very helpful and encouraging. I have even done a few composite lay ups for a 757. I am excited about what is instore for my future!! I'm sure if you pursue you will enjoy it

Wyatt
      W.Hughes

Comment

An interesting job if you love the work.

But I have to tell you I know a few guys who worked for the Airlines at SFO, and they were all glad to get out of there after 20 years. And go to other jobs... maybe they had no passion for the work or maybe the airlines were giving them a raw deal....
        And in my own family I have seen the downsizing of the airlines, and aerospace industry, over the last few years, cause career choices to unhappily be adjusted.

But if you can find your niche, at an FBO somewhere, that you want to live near. Sweet.

But you got to think

Comment

One of the great things about working in general aviation and corporate is that you get to work on the WHOLE aircraft, which ultimately will give you an idea as to what exactly you like to do. Some specialize in welding, some like engine work, others prefer airframe or interior work and some avionics. I personally like electrical troubleshooting. For the most part we can do it all, but you'll usually find a niche that you prefer more than others.

In the airlines, unless you work line maintenance you'll be doing the same thing for months at a time - interior removal, wheel and brake shop, etc.

I like the variety I have in G.A. and corporate - it makes every day different and I hardly ever get bored.

Good Luck,

Tom

Comment

I worked as an A/P for a regional airline in So Cal for five and a half years. Starting pay was 10.65 and when I left I was making just under 17 dollars an hour.

I worked everything from "C" checks to avionics and line maintenance. Looking back I'd say the paycheck wasn't equal to the work and responsibility. Meaning it wasn't enough.

I now work in a different industry and make far more money with a lot less responsibility. I'd love to get my Pilots license and build an experimental but I'll never go back to mechanics.

Dirty little secret: Most mechanics don't love Aviation, but they love mechanical devices. Many are into motorcycles or cars. Some restore furniture or old clocks. It's the Pilots that love aviation.

My 2 cents.

Comment

If you're going to pursue A/P, don't wait any longer. I was at least 40 when thinking about it and was wisely counselled by friends to think again.

"I don't want to rain on your parade, but A/P is even more of a young-man's game than auto-repair."

(What's more, I'm told by a mechanic that you could find yourself in a "hell-hole", a tail-cone containing avionics which requires that you enter hands first, your arms extended ahead of you -- and you might want someone there to pull you back out by your ankles!)

uhhuh35 makes an interesting point, vis-a-vis mechanics in general. Personally, I love being around aircraft and don't know if I could have gotten tired of it, but I would have liked the opportunity to have found out.

$
              "Man was meant to fly -- the earth is for worms!"
              Martin Caidin

Comment

My brother is an A & P mechanic here in NZ and totally loves it, he is mechanical, but he also loves aviation and has just started to build his own Steen Skybolt, he works in General Aviation currently overhauling Piston engines here and loves it, i know that eventually he would love to get into the warbird scene and it doesnt matter to him if its airframe or powerplants. He has been working in Aviation since he graduated High School and wouldnt have it any other way.
                race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

If you don't try you will never know anything but regrets. What's the worst thing that could happen? Going back to being successful at something you don't like?
                  Last edited by Ken from PG; 07-09-2010, 01:02 AM.

Comment

I've been an A&P since 1988. I work line maint. for one of the more sucessful airlines( smiling eskimo) I love what I do and wouldn't trade it for anything. My advice to you would be get into avionics. That will get you in the door.

Comment

Having started "life" as an Avionics tech, I would agree that that is the way to go.
                      Plus telemetered data from aircraft crosses right over into Auto racing applications.... So maybe a smart fella could find a really fun gig in the aircraft and automotive racing...applications...
                      Who knows...
                      But no matter what else happens...you got to find something you like to do, and that will reward you well, over your career and retirement. (cause Obama ain't gonna take care of your butt!)
                      Last edited by BUD_XXX; 07-09-2010, 08:49 AM.

Comment

I absolutely love aviation. I have been around airplanes my entrire life, but only the outside of them. (been for a few rides, have a few hours of instruction) never gotten into the guts of them.

I am mechanically inclined, I have wrenched on cars and such. Been building models and radio control airplanes for most of my life as well. I know I have the brain for it, just windering if I have the stomach for it.

I worked as an A/P for a regional airline in So Cal for five and a half years. Starting pay was 10.65 and when I left I was making just under 17 dollars an hour.
                        that is well below what the median pay rate is per the bureau of labor statistics has published for 2008. How long ago was this??

Median hourly wages of aircraft mechanics and service technicians were about $24.71 in May 2008. The middle 50 percent earned between $20.25 and $29.25. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $15.85, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $33.19. Median hourly wages in the industries employing the largest numbers of aircraft mechanics and service technicians in May 2008 were:

Scheduled air transportation $27.96
                        Federal Executive Branch 24.98
                        Aerospace product and parts manufacturing 24.47
                        Nonscheduled air transportation 24.27
                        Support activities for air transportation 20.95

My Biggest concern about it right now is the age thing, Sometimes its an advantage, sometimes it hurts you.

Realistically I wont be able to start the program for about 2 years (Wife is in nursing school, cant do anything to affect income untill she starts work), add 2 years for the schooling and that puts me starting out in the field at 37.

The avionics/telemetry things is good food for thought. I do enjoy racing after all.....

Comment

Here is my story and that of a few others. I have been an AMT (Aircraft Maintenance Technician as they like to call it now) for 22 years. I have worked for McDonnell Douglas, Boeing, Vought, Raytheon and privately contracted for numerous airlines. I wouldn't trade the experience for the world. Having said that I have also been laid off many times with working other than aviation jobs till one comes up. In starting off with no experience you are looking at $12-15 a hour for a regional carrier and you need to get heavy experience if you want to make money. Heavy experience is the plane size, if your experience is in small aircraft (Light Aircraft) then pay is small if its 747 then contracting you can make $25-30 which is average with no benefits. Airlines will hire some people with little time under their belt but to get at the top pay takes 5+ years.

I dont know where you live but if you want to chew away at the A&P certification (its not a license) find a community college and start the classes now, take one a term. I find that the avionics aspect is the right way to go along with structures/sheet-metal, but that is once you get a job. The classes you will be taking are only very elementary and are only a stepping stone, so once you get a job you need to push your way into that field. Another suggestion is to find a place where you can work and build up experience. You do not need an A&P to work for a FAR Part 145 repair station. This can mean that you work on a 747 and get the experience but not the pay. The employer has basic training classes that dont count for an A&P but you will build experience on the resume. From word out on the street FBOs are hiring since the airlines are building back up from the last 2 years so planes are coming out of the desert and being put back into service, FBOs=Part 145 repair stations.

Now here is one more thing, WORK FOR FedEx or UPS. They pay the most, don't carry passengers and in all likelihood you will not be laid off. So here is how it goes. Find a job with either one (you will be one of the first hired for an AMT if you already work for them) while tossing boxes go to school part time and get your A&P. After or during A&P, still tossing boxes, find a part time job doing aviation to build up some experience so when a job opens at FedEx or UPS you should have at least 2 years aviation time and qualify for a starting position. I have known men in their late 30s and early 40s who have done this and I am working with them now but it kicked their ass! I currently work for one of the above and it was the best decision I have ever made, just dont tell my wife.

I love my job and have had many good friends, I even got to work on a race plane. Its all luck to be at the right place at the right time. The aviation community is small even with all the airlines so keep a good reputation because it might find you your next job.

Let me leave you now with a quote from a friend who gave me a side gig working for an airline that had 5 planes and is no longer in business.

"I would rather have a daughter in a whore house than a son in aviation".

Peace.
                          JetWaste

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                            that is well below what the median pay rate is per the bureau of labor statistics has published for 2008. How long ago was this?

Comment

Wow!!! Oh what timing this post is. I was attending TSTI in 1987 going for my A&P when I got hired on by UPS part time. Young and freshly married I quit school and started driving. 23 years later with retirement getting close im wanting to finish up school. Thanks Jetwaste for the heads up. Ill ask my supervisor about the prospects. I love my job now, and I LOVE aviation. Cool to mix both huh?
                              Bear..... and now Ghost Fever Forever...... John

Comment

Working...
                              X