Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-20 in Medford

That's B-29 not B-20 oops...

A friend just came back from a trip to Medford OR, and came back with this picture from the Medford airport.

Anyone know the story on this, and what the bulge on the bottom is for?

Thanks!

Danno
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Danno; 07-02-2010, 09:38 AM.

Re: B-20 in Medford

You mean a- "B-50"?

DBD

Comment

I guess it could be a B-50. I was thinking B-29, and fat fingered it...

Comment

You mean C-97
        "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

That is a KC-97...military tanker version of the Boeing 377 Stratoliner.

It is essentially a passenger version of an expanded B-50 airframe, which itself was an outgrowth of the B-29.

The B-29 had R-3350's. The B-50 had R-4360's, and an enlarged vertical stabilizer, amongst other things.

The 377/KC-97 took the basic wing and tail of the B-50, added an 'upper' pressurized cabin, and turned it into a passenger liner that was popular on trans-oceanic routes during the 1950's.
          Last edited by Big_Jim; 07-02-2010, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
            That is a KC-97...military tanker version of the Boeing 377 Stratoliner.

It is essentially a passenger version of an expanded B-50 airframe, which itself was an outgrowth of the B-29.

The B-29 had R-3350's. The B-50 had R-4360's, and an enlarged vertical stabilizer, amongst other things.

The 377/KC-97 took the basic wing and tail of the B-50, added an 'upper' pressurized cabin, and turned it into a passenger liner that was popular on trans-oceanic routes during the 1950's.
            The 377/?C-97 also shared a portion of the B29 fuselage (note the smaller "tube" section below the larger (upper) pressurized passenger carrying "tube". That smaller tube is leftover from the B-29/B-50.

Comment

As an aside, several of them were modified into the Guppy series of outsized cargo haulers. Most of these were made up of composite airframes, one from a the C-97J Turbo-Startocruiser (this one is used by NASA).
              If you think about it, the B-29 concept and airframe was pretty versitile.
              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

They use the C-97 as a restaurant and party center. Its really cool inside, the cockpit is pretty complete. They really keep it in nice shape.

jim

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                  As an aside, several of them were modified into the Guppy series of outsized cargo haulers. Most of these were made up of composite airframes, one from a the C-97J Turbo-Startocruiser (this one is used by NASA).
                  If you think about it, the B-29 concept and airframe was pretty versitile.
                  i remember those at Long Beach when i was a kid, very cool!
                  "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Well, as I expected, I asked the right people here on AAFO!

Thanks for all the good info!

Danno

Comment

Working...
                    X