a litte advice litte old man problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a litte advice litte old man problem

When a old man ask if you could look at his old mustang too see about getting it running ,first thought CAR!!!! Nope plane his plane used to fly it for a job in the 70's talk about a barn find.Now what, thing is tarped and sealed drained and corked on jacks for gosh saks, nice old man 80's ish in age,wants to do something with it not sure what, he needs alot of naps and its just him and about 100 achers in AR,I am sure someone on here could help me with what ever he wants to do with this thing,I will find all the plates and numbers I can never know what it may be, have to unearth it first like I said barn find hasen't flown in 30+ so,It's burried behined everything elese ,and ofcorse its in the back and yes it is a mustang went under and made sure it was a whole plane,thanks all I hate green army tarps very heavy and there are like 8 covering everything in the barn .

Re: a litte advice litte old man problem

Cool story!!!

First thing you NEED to do is take a lot of pictures! and then take more when you get to the plane.

Pics when you start to uncover it and down the line. cover every process you can and post em here for us to see.

Comment

That's happened to me a few times. Once it was an old Porsche, another time a Travel Air 4000, more recently a Spitfire.

Only problem is that I wake up.

Comment

Kind of reminds me of a rumor floating around the NW flying circles a few years back of "an old Cub airplane" in a barn that was part of an estate. Truth; when the sale day came it wasn't long until word got out that the "Cub" had been sold for a rediculously low price and was, in fact, a complete Stearman that had been bought in the crate at a government auction after WWII. So the story goes, it was hauled to it's new home, removed from the crate so the farmer could use the lumber to build a new chicken coop, and the complete "new" airplane was stored in the barn for 50+ years before being sold.

Comment

Awww stories...

I heard one about 10 years ago or so about a Lear fan in a hanger UNR used for storage.

The hanger had a wall of boxes full of used computer parts, that UNR was putting up for sale in an auction. Viewing day came and went with a few people taking a look, but not really digging past the few boxes up front and opened. When time came to bid, there were only 3 or 4 bids at the close and the high bidder won.

She came with a van to clean out the hanger, and started cleaning out the boxes. Once she had a hole in the wall of boxes she started to see a nose of an air plane. she moved boxes out of the way and found she had Lear Fan #3 in her hanger with no engines, or prop. Rumor has it, it was donated some place (sorry cant remember were or two whom).

Now we know the locations of the various Lear Fan's around the country, How they got there is another thing. Is this story true? no clue. But it is a fun thing to think about.
          Last edited by wolfee; 06-23-2010, 02:31 PM.

Comment

And of course the story of the complete F-6 that was the ultimate "mustang in the garage". Guy was told about it at an airshow and half-heartedly agreed to go look, only to find it so complete it even had the canvas covers for it.
            I THINK this is "Lil Margeret" now.
            I once worked on a subdivision project that included the removal of several "historic" barns, a house and outbuildings. The barns and buildings were PACKED with junk. The old lady that owned it told us one day when we were surveying it to come back and "take anything we wanted". got very excited as we were close to Travis Air Base and most places out there used to have all kinds of goodies. By the time we got back her daughter had gotten to her and informed her of possible value in the items so she ended up just giving us a few things, I ended up with a bunch of antique fire extinguishers. There were no planes or parts but a treasure trove of old cars, motorcycles, radio equipment (including a complete ham radio station), tools and farm equipment.
            I have yet to find a real treasure but I never discount a story, no matter how outrageous.
            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

my best guess is this thing is a H model has a paddle blade prop again ????kroean war verison I read somewhere wide square tips sorry not real up on these things, the worst part is the thing is baby blue with a white stripy bolt thingys down the sides yuck,prop is polished,yellow nose cone didn't see any numbers yet been 120 + under that tarp and dark,will have to be careful he is a real nice guy and have to play nice he padlocked the barn 30+ ago after messy divorce its like walking in a mine feild and be gentle with his feelers ,he flew the plane there pickeled and pluged and sealed it put it on jacks and locked the door he is 80 plus and for some silly reasion likes me made him laugh at the dinner and liked what he heard I feel very honered

Comment

I agree with Wolfee, take LOTS of pictures, it will help with cataloging later on. Get a data plate number if you can. Maybe some of us can help with moving boxes and gathering some of the history, where in the country are you? If the guy flew it in there, he should know what model it is. Get as much history of the airplane that you can from him and write it down.

Race 29
                Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

I remeber an article in one of the aviation magazines several years ago of a Mustang being found in a garage. I believe it was in the Los Angeles area. Was an old home in a residential area. The house had a garage that was lower then street level. They had pictures of taking the mustang fuselage out, obviously the wings had been removed. If I remember right, it was a complete airplane.
                  Back in the 70's when I was flight instructing, I was looking down at a remote ranch house out in the San Joaquin Delta and underneath a tree sat a B-25. The farmer had won it in a poker game. he later sold it to a friend of mine. He sold it a short time later. I believe it's down in the LA area now, and no, the farmer was NOT a pilot, no runway either. They landed it on a road and taxied it up to his ranch house. When they flew it out, I believe they use an irragation bank as the runway.

Comment

Outside of Marysville, Ca. near a town called Oregon House a guy has a T-28 sitting in his yard along with some other vehicles. it just appeared there a few years ago, I have no idea how as there is no airport near and not many straight roads large enough.
                    I have shots of it from the ground but not on this computer.
                    Attached Files
                    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                      And of course the story of the complete F-6 that was the ultimate "mustang in the garage". Guy was told about it at an airshow and half-heartedly agreed to go look, only to find it so complete it even had the canvas covers for it.
                      I THINK this is "Lil Margeret" now.
                      I once worked on a subdivision project that included the removal of several "historic" barns, a house and outbuildings. The barns and buildings were PACKED with junk. The old lady that owned it told us one day when we were surveying it to come back and "take anything we wanted". got very excited as we were close to Travis Air Base and most places out there used to have all kinds of goodies. By the time we got back her daughter had gotten to her and informed her of possible value in the items so she ended up just giving us a few things, I ended up with a bunch of antique fire extinguishers. There were no planes or parts but a treasure trove of old cars, motorcycles, radio equipment (including a complete ham radio station), tools and farm equipment.
                      I have yet to find a real treasure but I never discount a story, no matter how outrageous.

Yes, "Lil Margaret." Here's the book on the restoration: http://www.amazon.com/P-51-Mustang-R...7390904&sr=8-3

Comment

Originally posted by h34race View Post
                        my best guess is this thing is a H model has a paddle blade prop again ????kroean war verison I read somewhere wide square tips sorry not real up on these things, the worst part is the thing is baby blue with a white stripy bolt thingys down the sides yuck,prop is polished,yellow nose cone didn't see any numbers yet been 120 + under that tarp and dark,will have to be careful he is a real nice guy and have to play nice he padlocked the barn 30+ ago after messy divorce its like walking in a mine feild and be gentle with his feelers ,he flew the plane there pickeled and pluged and sealed it put it on jacks and locked the door he is 80 plus and for some silly reasion likes me made him laugh at the dinner and liked what he heard I feel very honered
                        Well, you are living a dream of mine. However, with all due respect, I doubt it would be an H. Only 555 were built and I think 5 are still around with 2 "flyable". The H Mustang was not used in Korea, just the Ds and P-82s.

A few hints that it is an H would be a taller tail (TF-51s also have the tall tale), the top and bottom of the belly scoop opening are parallel, not staggered like the D, the exhaust stack shrouds are different, the top and bottom cowling attach to the exposed motor mount, and the tires/gear doors are smaller.

Looking forward to photos and best of luck to you and the octogenarian.
                        Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                        Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Is this April fools day?

Tell the nice old man I will give him $100,000 sight unseen for this old stupid plane taking up space in his barn.

Glen
                          '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

the worst part is the thing is baby blue with a white stripy bolt thingys down the sides yuck
                            Why does that sound so familiar..?

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                              Why does that sound so familiar..?
                              I thought the same thing, That discription sounds like I have seen that plane in the past...

How many baby blue P-51s can there be with a white lightning strip down the sides can there be?

Comment

Working...
                              X