SNJ mayday at JFK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SNJ mayday at JFK

As we were coming into JFK today (great weather) we overflew some T-6s/SNJs skytyping over the shore. Just after we landed and turned off of 22L Skytype 5 called a mayday, he was overhead and was losing power. They sent two widebody jets around, stopped all traffic (including our Narita flight which was in takeoff position) and the SNJ did almost a split S to final, made a great landing and managed to clear the runway. He said he was in an SNJ. Anybody know the plane/pilot? He did a great job but I shudder to think what the cost to the airlines are, even just my airplane sitting on the ground not moving probably burned enough fuel during that 10 minutes, even with #3 shut down, for an entire T-6 to run a race at Reno. Hate to see his landing fees, they rolled all the fire trucks.

Ron Henning
    Ron Henning

Re: SNJ mayday at JFK

You're not charged for a Mayday, not sure about standard landing fee's though.
    CFI/CFII/MEI
    www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
    www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

anyplace but new york would waive the landing fee for an emergency. but new york.....
      bob burns
      ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
      "dont mess with texas"

Comment

I was doing a short LaGuardia layover lastnight/this morning and was able to watch them skytype. Very cool to watch. More cool to know the pilot was able to successfully pull off the mayday, land, and clear the runway!

Sam
        Biplane Race #3

Comment

Working...
        X