OT: Latest from Wendover -- Name That Type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Latest from Wendover -- Name That Type

Passed by Wendover Historic Airfield on 6/9, found these A/C there. At least one of them doesn't seem it's going anywhere any time soon.

The C-54's status is in question http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...umbertxt=8502R; it looks like an old Hawkins & Powers forest-fire bomber. The other, disassembled type looks awful familiar ...

I've also included a shot of Enola Gay's hangar versus one shot earlier. Looks like new glass and siding on the north side.

BTW: TSA is hiring for Wendover -- they must be getting some sort of scheduled service there.

$
    Attached Files
    "Man was meant to fly -- the earth is for worms!"
    Martin Caidin

Re: OT: Latest from Wendover -- Name That Type

Looks like a T-33 (or F-80) to me.
    Last edited by race9; 06-13-2010, 08:36 PM.

Comment

If my memory serves me correctly Tanker 65 was operated by TBM inc. in the 95-96 season, I am 100% certain it was based at Stead in that time period as worked not far down the ramp. Not sure of it's disposition afterwards.

Comment

My first guess was an A-6 front end.
        Tony

Comment

I'd say that first shot is an A6 Intruder front end. Not sure what the rest of the pile of parts are. They could be the wings and tail.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
            I'd say that first shot is an A6 Intruder front end. Not sure what the rest of the pile of parts are. They could be the wings and tail.

Will
            The inlet is wrong for an Intruder. First look that's what I thought too. The inlet looks more like a t-33

Comment

Based on not having the T-33 tip-tank tips my guess is P-80 since we cant see the canopy (long or short).
              Cheers ,
              Scott

Comment

I think the nose is too short/blunt to be a T33. Its also too wide. Same thing with the p/F80. I'm sticking with the A6, but if it is, I bet its a very early one.

Will

Comment

The inlet's a T-33, the A-6 has a much different shape. Also, I don't thing an A-6 has ever flown in a civilian paint scheme.
                  There are so few F-80's around I dobt it could be one.
                  The nose looks wide and short because of the angle.
                  Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                  airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                  thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Also, an A-6 doesn't have a bubble canopy.

Comment

Now, a true airplane geek would know WHICH T-33 by the white-with-red-stripe paint scheme...

That search is beyond my time-spending abilities at the moment.
                      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

This could just be a collection of odd parts. The wing is definately not from any model A-6, but the the leading edge sweep angle appears to be too sharp for a P-80/T-33 wing. The way the tarp is drapped over the canopy it is hard to tell if the cockpit is side by side or tandem. The A-6 like radome looks like someone just stuck it over the aircraft's nose, all thats missing is a large pair of glasses and a bushy mustash.

Just my two cents,

Frank

Comment

My guess is it is one of the old Penhall T-33's. One was yellow with an orange stripe, and one was white with an orange stripe...which is what this one appears to be.

Comment

Hummn... this one is a goodie... although I think Big Jim may have nailed it.... this

http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/showthread.php?t=8152 throws a bit of a further challenge into the mix.. almost looks like someone mixed up a bunch of parts just to give us all pause....

Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayner...

Thats an easy one.. its a Jet Provost, i think it is a Mk3 Provost too by the lack of ejection seats and the straight back slide of the canopy.... the Mk IV introduced ejection seats and the mk V has a different canopy
                              race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Working...
                              X