Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Fly FASTEST!'- Remembering LYLE SHELTON

'Fly FASTEST!'- Remembering LYLE SHELTON

Reno '75 was my first air races & I was rooting for my favorite Unlimited- the totally-radical #5 Red Baron RB-51,-piloted by Mac McClain, to win all the marbles in Sunday's Gold Championship. But like many race fans, I really wished f/a big 3-way showdown between the RB Griffon mixmaster Mustang & the UNLTD champion super-duper Bearcats: Darryl Greenamyer's Race #1 & arch-rival Lyle Shelton's Race #77.

That hope was soon dashed, when prop governor problems prevented Greenamyer's takeoff. But race fans were treated to a very exciting Gold final nonetheless-won handily by Lyle Shelton @ a new race record speed of 429.916-av/mph, w/Mac & the RB in hot pursuit-finishing a close 2nd-place @ 427.313. On that day, I became an unabashed loyal fan of Lyle Shelton & his mighty monster Grumman Bearcat #77.

Me & my buddies made it a priority attend the next air racing event at Mojave '76 the following June, -still hoping to see that big UNLTD showdown. The gremlins once again fowled things up bigtime & we were there to witness Lyle's amazing deadstick belly-landing after #77's engine blew when an oil line came loose during his Saturday a.m. qualifying attempt. It was truly mind-boggling & really-impressive watching Shelton's cool prowess & professionalism (as a trained military pilot) in handling his dicy emergency landing situation that day.

The first time I met Lyle Shelton in-person was on Sat., April 16, 1977 at the Mojave Airport while attending USARA's 4th Annual Air Racing Clinic & Symposium, to train as an official pylon judge. (I think it was my friend- NAG Editor-Don Ryder, who introduced us). It was inside USARA's HQ office (in one of the old barracks buildings). Though he was up to his eyebrows w/pressing priorities at the time & surrounded by a mob of race people scurrying about, Lyle was warm & genuine, and we managed to work in some good conversation getting aquainted. I was just a young neophyte air race enthusiast back then & meeting Lyle Shelton- a real Unlimited Class champion race pilot, who was both polite & encouraging to me in a circle of big egos, was instrumental in cementing my personal lifelong interest & involvement in air racing (& started a good friendship to boot).

Well now, if you haven't already read Dell Rourk's excellent book- "RACING FOR THE GOLD-The Story of Lyle Shelton and The Rare Bear", it's a definate 'must-read' for any air race enthusiast interested in the history of the world's-fastest motorsport. Once you've finished reading it, you can't help coming away fully-convinced about the fact that probably nobody loved air racing (or was more obsessed w/it) more than Lyle Shelton. As a race pilot, without any doubt,-Shelton stands tall & immortal in the top ranks of the sport's greatest champions & most-ferocious & fearless competitors, and remains title holder of 'World's-Fastest Propeller-Driven/Piston-engined Aircraft 3-KM Speed Record'.

So, I'd like to put up this humble tribute thread to honor the memory of Lyle Shelton & his great air racing accomplishments flying Race #77, known to all as- "The Rare Bear". Nothing fancy- just some random archive photos w/captions here & there (again- "Read The Book!") & while at the same time- inviting anyone else to add onto it w/any personal notes or photos they might care to share relating to Lyle Shelton & his career w/The Bear. (Note: This thread's intended to complement the previous threads posted by Lyle's son-John Slack/BellCobraIV regarding the sad news of Lyle Shelton's passing)

For starters,-here's a Reno '80 NCAR photo gallery of pics covering Lyle Shelton's return to air racing his #77 after a 4-year absence following the near-disastrous Mojave '76 belly-in. This was the year of N777L's re-christening as "Rare Bear" (a title coined by air racing historian/author-John Tegler). Some of you oldtimers will recognize a few veteran #77 crew in these pics (believe that's a v. young Dave Cornell manning the APU for one).

Reno '80 wasn't a banner year for Lyle's team, w/gremlins doggin' The Bear all the way, but Lyle managed to qualify Race #77 in 4th-place @ 402.753-mph. Shelton next had to abort his start for Friday's UNL Gold Heat #1 (9/12), due to hydraulic leak in the cockpit. Saturday's UNL Gold Heat #2 (9/13) was chocked-full of even more drama f/Shelton & his over-taxed team. Rare Bear had gear retract problems after takeoff f/the joinup & Shelton's radio was inop. I was on press photo duty at Outer 2 Pylon when the race started. After all the Unlimiteds had roared-by on their pace lap, everyone was looking skyward,-wondering where the heck Lyle & Rare Bear were. Then, seemingly out of nowhere, they came streaking-by like the proverbial- 'scalded cat', & proceeded to eat up the field of racers ahead of them like they was all standin' still! By Lap 5 Shelton was closing on the two leading Mustangs of Mac McClain (#69 Jeannie) & Don Whittington (#09 Precious Metal), when #77's blower system let go, forcing Shelton to execute a mayday out of the heat & the rest of Reno '80 competition.

Lyle Shelton was undaunted in his quest to win Gold & Glory on the air racing circuit & during his years of 'ups & downs' following his Reno '80 return, proved he was indeed-'The Man' who could- 'Fly FASTEST!'

DBD
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BuckyD; 06-03-2010, 08:44 PM.

Re: 'Fly FASTEST!'- Remembering LYLE SHELTON

Its hard to seperate the man from the machine when talking about memories.

He was such an integral part of 77, but 77 the machine, is a part of him in our minds. Watching him fly the course is all some fans may have as memories of him. Certainly those memories are a fantastic thing,I wish we all had more of them.

After reading Rourk's book I felt like I knew him very well. Despite having only exchanging a brief word or a random handshake, that book was an incredible peak into the mind of Lyle Shelton. It made me want to be his friend.

My Favorite memory of Lyle is him sitting in the stands in section three, among the lowly spectators, like we were all old friends. After telling us several stories about Tiger and the size of his engine in relation to the size of his manhood, he decided to lead us in a cheer proclaiming the size of those parts to the world. It was a magical moment and one I always think of when I see pictures of him.

Blue Skies Lyle...

Comment

In that group of three photos with the 'crowd' on the ramp...that looks like my old buddy Ralph Payne in the white shirt and green pants. Ol' Ralph was Unlimited Tech Inspector back then. Good related story to Neal Nurmi's "Killer Kerch vs. Rotten Ralph" photo.

Comment

Great job Bucky. Lyle & "Tiger" had some of the best Gold Racing thru the years. Thanks again for the memories.
        Lockheed Bob

Comment

Thanks Bucky. Lyle and the Bear have been my favorite racing team since I was a kid. It was a very sad day for me when he passed. I have a lot of great memories.
          Tony

Comment

Thanks Bucky. Mojave '76 was my first air race and I was gutted to arrive and see Rare Bear sitting on its prop. I was a Bearcat fan before, and have been a Rare Bear fan ever since.
            No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
            http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Great post with amazing pictures.

Don't you just Love it when those old memories surface?

And always great to see Lyle with his baby again.

Don
              Don

Hauler Driver Looking for a Hauler to Drive ..
              Any Race Team Need One?

Comment

Thanks a million Bucky, Lyle and his airplane have been in my memory banks for over 40 years, and no doubt for my next 40
                "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

In a twist of irony on Today, Tuesday June 15th Lyle would have turned 77 years old. In his honor I'd like to share a picture Pete Behenna took just prior to the as yet unnamed Bearcat taking it's first flight from Orange County to Chino.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by BellCobraIV; 06-14-2010, 11:37 PM.
                  John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
                    In a twist of irony on Today, Tuesday June 15th Lyle would have turned 77 years old. In his honor I'd like to share a picture Pete Behenna took just prior to the as yet unnamed Bearcat taking it's first flight from Orange County to Chino.
                    Thank you for sharing a piece of history John...
                    race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Thanks for posting that John.. you never know how much you'll miss someone until they are gone..

Blue Skies Lyle....
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Thank you, John, as well.

Here's one of Lyle & Race 77 @ Reno '81, taken just after sundown (-pre-shutdown power run-up,-following arrival landing & taxi-in, I 'think'), along w/a couple more shots.

The 1981 NCAR was yet another tough luck event for Shelton & his Rare Bear race team. Lyle qualified #77 as the 6th-fastest Unlimited, (-just behind- Clay Klabo's P-51D #85 Fat Cat), at 416.037-mph. On Friday 9/18, Shelton won UNL Gold Heat #1 by spanking his all-Mustang competition (Skip Holm-#69 Jeannie, Don Whittington-#09 Precious Metal, John Crocker-#6 Sumthin' Else, Ron Hevle-#72 Mangia Pane, Clay Klabo-#85 Fat Cat & Dan Martin-#7 Ridge Runner III) @ 416.721-av/mph f/the six-lapper.

The next day, Shelton & The Bear were pitted against a force of SEVEN P-51s, in Sat. UNL Gold Heat #2! But those pesky gremlins returned to work their mechanical mayhem on Race #77,-forcing Shelton to mayday-out of this race on Lap 2 w/a burnt cylinder. Knocked way down into Sunday's UNL Bronze final- #77 repeated its' "too-hot to trot" performance by burning another cylinder during Lap 4, to end Reno '81 on a sour note for Lyle Shelton & his crew & many fans. But Lyle somehow always found a way to convert dismay into determination, in order to come back as a winner again in the future...

* Blue Skies Forever, Lyle Shelton *

DBD
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by BuckyD; 06-24-2010, 12:40 AM.

Comment

The (future) Bear looks potent in that shot, even with the long wingspan.

Thanks for posting the photo, John. Rare Bear has been my favorite since "day 1."

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                            Thanks for posting that John.. you never know how much you'll miss someone until they are gone..

Blue Skies Lyle....
                            AAH, Wayne.. I have millions of great memories of my life and almost all of them would not have happened without Lyle and his influence. He took over the job when I was 6 years old, and in my opinion he did it well. He was a hell of a Granddad, too. Someday we'll get back to stories, but not yet.
                            Last edited by BellCobraIV; 06-15-2010, 10:04 PM.
                            John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by FlyKidChris View Post
                              The (future) Bear looks potent in that shot, even with the long wingspan.

Thanks for posting the photo, John. Rare Bear has been my favorite since "day 1."
                              Yes it has that raw look of mean, Kinda like the junkyard cat about to go eat some Doberman.
                              John Slack

Comment

Working...
                              X