Tip speed vrs. rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip speed vrs. rpm

Ok I am trying to under stand this stuff when the prop tip goe's mach 1 that is a bad thing but how many RPM's ,I thought I saw a lear jet turbo prop with 5 or 6 blads that threw the blads over mach 1 with no problem thay were longer that standered and mounted in the rear of the engine,Is it better to get past the mark and stay there type of a deal,had a gaint scale spitfire with 63 cc weedeater engine lost many a prop tip sounded baaad when it took the tip off different pitches made the plane faster not so much RPM wouldn't rev as high but then it started boilling the flute of the prop?? that is what the skunkwork guys told me and they seen to know stuff,flying RCs in lancaster CA. was fun realy talented people fun to talk to and when I walked up to a few placereds on walls and saw their name big as day all I could do was feel realy bad I didn't know who it was I was talking to would have tryed to sound smarter

Re: Tip speed vrs. rpm

Originally posted by h34race View Post
    Ok I am trying to under stand this stuff when the prop tip goe's mach 1 that is a bad thing but how many RPM's ,I thought I saw a lear jet turbo prop with 5 or 6 blads that threw the blads over mach 1 with no problem thay were longer that standered and mounted in the rear of the engine,Is it better to get past the mark and stay there type of a deal,had a gaint scale spitfire with 63 cc weedeater engine lost many a prop tip sounded baaad when it took the tip off different pitches made the plane faster not so much RPM wouldn't rev as high but then it started boilling the flute of the prop?? that is what the skunkwork guys told me and they seen to know stuff,flying RCs in lancaster CA. was fun realy talented people fun to talk to and when I walked up to a few placereds on walls and saw their name big as day all I could do was feel realy bad I didn't know who it was I was talking to would have tryed to sound smarter
    Simply puy, ip mach is related to forward speed and rotational speed of the prop and is related to diameter of the propeller since the larger the diameter, the faster the tip is going.

Here's a quick primer for R/C stuff:

Michael

Comment

Working...
    X